Thread: Newbie Question?

Default Newbie Question?

Would like to get into archery hunting. Looking for suggestions on archery shops around town that might be able to get me started with a setup. Not looking to break the bank, but i understand you get what you pay for. Also what type of bow should i go with? Any brands to stay away from?

I'd go see the folks at Full Curl Archery off of Huffman. It's a bit of a drive, but I've heard nothing but good things. I used to really enjoy the Archer's Den right here in Eagle River, but since he's no longer in business a drive to Anchorage will be in order. You'll get far better service and advice at the locally owned shop, and in my short visit to Full Curl they seemed to have a good thing going.

Last season a friend and I went bow shopping at all the shops we could in S.C. Alaska. Full Curl and Screaming Eagle in Wasilla were the best two we dealt with when it came to service and selection of bows. Funny thing is, we both felt the best bow we shot as far as feel and quietness was a Mission Maniac. We probably shot two dozen different bows costing twice what this bow retailed for and kept coming back to it. In the end, my friend ended up with that bow from Screaming Eagle, fully setup, for half what the top Hoyt, BowTech and Mathews bows cost.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Several good threads on this topic in the Bowhunting forum, so take the time to read back a bit.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...e-in-Anchorage
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...shop-in-Alaska
    Also worth reading to see others' results with various setups, avoid some of the same mistakes.

Dave and his wife at Full Curl seem like an awesome couple. They have some great BowTech packages on the rack that you should go shoot. That would be a great way to start off.

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

I am a newby to compound bow archery also...(last shot my fathers recurve 40 years ago)...Went to Full Curl yesterday on the advice of a friend, and walked away a VERY satisfied customer...Both Dave and Joni are great people and there prices are reasonable...Dave custom fit me to my size and budget...Highly recommended...I drove in from Wasilla to check them out...and it was worth the drive...good luck