Thread: Charge by a bull when calling?

Default Charge by a bull when calling?

My hunting partner got worried when I called in a bull he could not tell was legal, and was afraid it would charge him if I kept calling and he would be force to shoot it. The bull was looking for a fight, I did not tell him he had more to worry about if the bull was looking for love.

Iíve been having problems with bulls the last few years wanting to fight. Do you guys also have problems with bulls?

Yea, last year we had two bulls come in, and we had some problems. 1st bull got his rack stuck on some roots on the ground, and the second bull was just farther than I wanted to pack.

In seriousness though, both both bulls were very quiet coming in. They were both in the zone big time coming in grunting but were not very aggressive.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

This Bull was within 15 yards, only problem was NO TAG!!!

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I got charged by a bull last year. I didn't have a tag and was out caribou hunting, but decided to call him in. I ended up 3 feet away from him nose to nose and as he turned to get me, his antler his one of the pipeline VSM's (thank god for it) and he ran away. It's made me a lot more cautious when calling moose in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qO_ImqKEbc

This year I called him in to 30' and he was aggressive. Dropped him there as the tines were clearly visible.
    In the past I have been calling and dropped back as the bulls move in leaving the shooter between the moose and myself. I've made my partners nervous a few times as the bull is focused on me and moving ahead closing in on the shooter. More than once they have vacated as the moose closed the distance trying to follow me. Really gets the adrenaline going.
    Can't wait till next year!
    BK

A few questions about Jerod's pipeline bull in the video above:

1. What do you think his spread is? (I'm thinkin' 45")

2. Is it just a cultural thing to say "Hey bear" or "Hey moose"? It seems to me that they deem this a greeting to attack as I've seen dozens of times, any time someone says "Hey" anything, they get charged. I'm thinking a different vocalization might be tried, perhaps "BOO!" or ANYthing but "Hey" (just chuckling)

3. Does it seem to you all that when a bull, or a cow, puts it's ears down and/or back, you're fixin' to get stomped. I had a cow chasing me around in the yard. Same thing, her ears went from up and alert, to back and "I'm going to get you" mode and the chase was on!

That video kind of cracks me up. The pipeline is bad for animals dontcha know, they'd never go near it right?

And you have to have really good camo gear and be quiet because the moose can see and hear you and would never approach if you looked funny or made noise!

For that big brain they have....

Neat video.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    I got charged by a bull last year. I didn't have a tag and was out caribou hunting, but decided to call him in. I ended up 3 feet away from him nose to nose and as he turned to get me, his antler his one of the pipeline VSM's (thank god for it) and he ran away. It's made me a lot more cautious when calling moose in.
    Jerry, reminds me of the story AkNimrod, Pat, told me back when scents were allowed. He was out calling moose, after he coated his shoes, quiver, bow and clothes with moose estrus scent. He started calling and a 3 year old bull cot and salivaam running. The boy was not going to take no for an answer. Pat did not want to put out for the boy (he was to smal)l, so he danced around a tree for about 15 minutes. Got covered in snot and saliva all over himself. Scared him pretty good s he was not near anyone. Valuable life lesson, and we were able to laugh about it every year afterwords :-)
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Quote Originally Posted by Sir View Post
    A few questions about Jerod's pipeline bull in the video above:

1. What do you think his spread is? (I'm thinkin' 45")

2. Is it just a cultural thing to say "Hey bear" or "Hey moose"? It seems to me that they deem this a greeting to attack as I've seen dozens of times, any time someone says "Hey" anything, they get charged. I'm thinking a different vocalization might be tried, perhaps "BOO!" or ANYthing but "Hey" (just chuckling)

3. Does it seem to you all that when a bull, or a cow, puts it's ears down and/or back, you're fixin' to get stomped. I had a cow chasing me around in the yard. Same thing, her ears went from up and alert, to back and "I'm going to get you" mode and the chase was on!

That video kind of cracks me up. The pipeline is bad for animals dontcha know, they'd never go near it right?

And you have to have really good camo gear and be quiet because the moose can see and hear you and would never approach if you looked funny or made noise!

For that big brain they have....

Neat video.
    Yes Sir, I agree that when the ears go back, it's about to hit the fan. I've been charged by a few moose, and it's the same each time. I was real happy to get it on video this time.

I posted a "guess the spread" thread with this video before. The freaky part about this bull is from a distance he looks like a monster, then when he is closer up you can easily tell he isn't 50" and only a 2X2. I guess him about the same, 45-46".

You might be on to something with the "Hey Moose" yell. Maybe next time I try cow calling to a rutting bull at 40 yards I'll scream something else.

Roger, I remember Pat telling me that story. Too funny. He had some great stories.