Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Anyone see this in your halibut?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Chugiak
    Posts
    112

    Default Anyone see this in your halibut?

    get-attachment.aspx.jpgToxic Halibut.jpgWe caught this halibut a couple of years ago out of Anchor Point. Never seen anything like it. Needless to say we did not eat it. Any ideas what it is? Hindsight we should have brought it to a biologist.

  2. #2

    Default

    that would be a fillet and release for me..

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wasilla Alaska
    Posts
    456

    Default

    That's an egg cluster of Hypeius Vengius worms. Look closely at the left photo and you can see some of them are well formed and about to emerge.

    Their strongest passion is to breed and second would be vengence! Since you have disrupted that cycle I'm fairly certian that all of your future children and all of their children "Will be born Naked".

    Sorry, that's the way it is around here in the winter.
    Mike

  4. #4
    Charterboat Operator
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Anchorage AK.
    Posts
    1,057

    Default

    Remeber to bleed your fish!

  5. #5
    Member Mort's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Niceville, FL
    Posts
    459

    Default

    Almost looks like there was some kind of injury and that is an abscess. Yuk. Saw something similar in a moose we shot years ago, but I've never seen anything like that on a fish.

  6. #6
    Member thewhop2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,366

    Default

    Just cook a few extra minutes and see what it tastes like... Let me know????
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

  7. #7

    Default

    Tell Tale Sign of Catch and Release!.
    The leader was likely cut to release the fish and the hook festered his insides. The Bigger Females are immune to infection and are better suited for Catch and Release.
    Thank You for putting this fish out of his misery.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  8. #8
    Member sayak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central peninsula, between the K-rivers
    Posts
    5,788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by REFAK View Post
    get-attachment.aspx.jpgToxic Halibut.jpgHindsight we should have brought it to a biologist.
    Maybe so, but that would certainly take one aback! Nasty!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •