Thread: Does anyone bowhunt for small game?

Default Does anyone bowhunt for small game?

I am new to both bowhunting and Fairbanks. I am heading out in the morning to try my luck at shooting some birds and or rabbits... Im not sure what kind of terrain is good (ive read a few posts and will be shooting blind the first few times)... Also I have both blunt rubber tips and Small game heads... What do you use and how does it perform? Thank you to anyone who has input...

I hope to get some small game time this winter. Rubber blunts work good when your in rocks or using carbons. These are my favorite heads for wood arrows. 3/8" copper tubing, washer and screw. DSCF1273.jpg

Bowhunting small game is a lot of fun and very gratifying when you are able to connect. Plan on losing some arrows though.

Here's a grouse I bagged this past moose season -

AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

When I was a kid, I used to rabbit hunt via bow quite a bit. Judo points are the best thing since sliced bread as you'll hardly ever lose an arrow.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Hunting small game with a bow is, probably, my most enjoyable hunting. I find it very relaxing and stress free.

Here is a video of some grouse hunting
    http://youtu.be/o75zt8MrocQ

Jeff, we gotta get you to lose the training wheels!! (nice pic BTW)
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I haven't taken the bow out in Alaska yet but have taken bullfrogs to beaver with it before I moved. I love my Judo points. I like the recommendation to use the rubber blunts in rocks though. I think ptarmigan by bow would be sweet and those things are often in places that aren't conducive to a metal tip. Go out and give it a shot (or a dozen)!
    Go Big Red!

I'll second, or third, the fun of bowhunting small game w/ a bow. It is a good time with very little pressure. I'm cheap, but then you guys know that. I use washers, outside diameter depends on how well they are shooting, and I hold them on w/ 25gr field tips. They are deadly, don't disappear into the duff, leaves and such, and hit extremely hard. No sense in buying small game tips that cost an arm and a leg. Likely they will not hit where your field tips hit. Either adjust your sight, providing you shoot w/ one, or just get another sight for small game and change them out.
    ARR

I love bowhunting small game. My problem is finding small game to hunt. I've taken ptarmigan while caribou hunting. Grouse while moose hunting and rabbits while setting up bear bait. But when I go out hunting for them specifically I can't find any. Last year was especially rough for me finding small game. I also use the judo points. Blunts don't fly well and they bounce away never to be seen again the judos stick and pop up rarely going far from what I shot at and they fly pretty good and kill great. I shot a porcupine last year and have also taken a few squirrels.

Small game, large game, even ducks.......best way to parctice hunting is to hunt and the big guys arent always legal.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.