Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wife and I want to fish!!!

Default Wife and I want to fish!!!

So my wife and I are going to have a baby next year and as a "reward" to both of us, we want to fill the freezer with some yummy Alaskan bounty. We want to go silver fishing and maybe some halibut if possible. I have only fished in the ocean once and I'm not real sure where to go. I went to Valdez and had a blast, so I'm not real sure where to go. We went to Seward this summer on vacation and I loved it. So my question is, were should we go. It would me, my wife, and her parents. I would like to do a 2 day charter and dont know who to go with or where to go. So Please help so my wife can have a well needed break! Thanks in advance!
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

Got a little more specific time range? You mention Silvers but the "historic" hot times can be slightly different almost by the week. For combos and filling the freezer we had good luck right at the ling opener in early July. Hammered lings and halibut out of Seward. Though we didn't fish for silvers then, there were enough that we were catching them incidentally on 16oz lead head jigs as we were ling fishing.

Not a Valdez expert but hammered cohos there near town in early sept. was EASY pickings. Have never tried halibut from there.

I thought about the time after I had posted it. We were looking for either last week of July or mid to late August. Again I am not familiar with the hot times so thats when my schedule is good for us to go.
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

That timeframe won't find you any silvers in Valdez. Nuttin but pinks during that phase, which isn't what you want if you're doing a freezer fill mission. You might start getting some silvers mixed in by the end of August, but don't count on it. Silvers are a September Seafood. If you go out in PWS via charter, you might be able to get on some silvers and you'll definitely be able to score halibut. Also, you'll want to start shopping charters soon. They tend to get all booked up long before the season rolls around. I can't recommend anyone as I've never gone fishing with a charter.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I would say Seward, and depending on weather you should be able to get lings, silvers, and halibut. You can search past posts about who to go out with, and you will find someone recommends just about every charter operator out there. Personally I would go with Crackerjack charters if I were you.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by jcorwin4278 View Post
    I thought about the time after I had posted it. We were looking for either last week of July or mid to late August. Again I am not familiar with the hot times so thats when my schedule is good for us to go.
    I'd say Homer. You can catch silvers and KINGS at that time, as well as lings, yelloweye and halibut. Not to be disparaging to Seward, but given my choice I'd rather spend a fishing vacation here.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

I second Muttley with Homer. Most of the days there the weather allows fishing, but if not, there is always something to do in Homer for everyone. We saw whales there this summer and it added to the experience; the scenery is awesome. If you want a combo trip though, make sure and research the charter beforehand to make sure they will do this.

I had a great experience several years ago with Tony Arsenault of Falcon Charters. Great guy, I am sure he could set you up with a combo trip, but book early. And remember, cheapest is not always best. While you are on a mission to fill your freezer, it should be an experience to remember for a lifetime. Good luck.

Muttley crew and CWM are right on. Late August in Homer. Daniels Personal Guide Service has done a great job for us for several years. Dan can find the Halibut and Silvers. Good luck Hope you have a great trip

Craig, Alaska. The last week of July. Limits of good sized kings, silvers, ling, yellow eye, black bass, and halibut. Not to mention you get to fish with some of the best mooching guides when you fish out of Craig.

I would say Seward over Homer for sure! Look up Seward Fishing Co. Randy is a great guy, awesome boat, really good fisherman. Also look up the Just-In-Time Justin is a local that's a great guy as well. Shy away from bigger charter company's with bigger boats. I would go the end of July/ 1st of August. You can keep lings, halibut fishing is good, and the silver fishing is really good as well. Definitely do the combo trip!

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    Piscor Ergo Sum

I would say Seward myself. Friends at work loaded up on the silvers there this year during your time frame.
    Homer is better for Halibut but if silvers is the main goal Seward is a much better bet for a limit of them.
    Of course guides in Homer will recommend it every time. go figure.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Seward or Homer you will be able to get into fish on any given day.

Having chartered a boat with Cap't Daniels last spring I would highly recommend him. They also have a great "cabin" to rent really close to homer....would be a great hideaway for a family fishing weekend. He limited us in April on Halibut and Rockfish and we also bonked a couple feeder Kings.

It is interesting that even for a person growing up in Kenai, homer never comes immediately to mind.

Homer really needs to emphasize their salmon fishing a bit more. Also being twice as far from Anchorage is hard.

But definitely a great option for assortment. But if emphasis is Silvers, it's hard to beat Seward in the time frame.

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    I would say Seward myself. Friends at work loaded up on the silvers there this year during your time frame.
    Homer is better for Halibut but if silvers is the main goal Seward is a much better bet for a limit of them.
    Of course guides in Homer will recommend it every time. go figure.
    Well, the reason I recommend Homer is because in any given day you could catch as many kings as you catch silvers. I've gone out on days chasing silvers and caught more kings than silvers and those kings can push 20 to 30 lbs. You won't find many silvers that size. If all you're interested in doing is filling your cooler with silvers then Seward would be a better bet IF you hit it at the right time and since the OP didn't give a time frame it's kind of hard to really say which place might be better. We all know how fickle the timing of the silver return there AND in Homer can be. In Homer there are kings around 365 days a year.

I also prefer the ambiance of Homer over Seward. That's why I live here. IHMO I think Homer is a much nicer place to spend a vacation as well as live. But that's just my opinion.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    I'd say Homer. You can catch silvers and KINGS at that time, as well as lings, yelloweye and halibut. Not to be disparaging to Seward, but given my choice I'd rather spend a fishing vacation here.
    If you're into wind, rain, Irish lords, oxycodon and fat girls go to Seward. If you want big halibut, kings, tanner crab, nice weather and sexy hippie chicks then go to Homer.

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

I agree with Full Bush, Homer is nirvana and Seward is hell......Honestly, both places are fun and nice to visit. I would advise you to stay, and fish with local residents, not fishermen who are here for the summer. There is a huge difference in their experience levels and commitment to the resource, community and State. When you spend a full day with someone, you should get the real deal.

Hit up Homer. Go for a day with Capt. Tony at falconcharters.com

and go for a day with Mike Swan at spiritcharters.com

Only guys I will fish with out of Homer. Creme de la crop is putting it mildly.
    Be warned: Homer is notorious for DAYS and DAYS and DAYS of just S*&**y weather.
    But you get a nice day and you go with one of the forementioned gentleman, and you will have the time of your life.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

AKCAPT is the real deal if you want bigs. Muttley is good company and really knows how to get the kings. He'll get you back to town In time for the homer spit ping pong tourney, all you'll need to bring is ping pong balls you can use your halibut for a paddle. Haha mut just kidding

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

I know this idea will maybe catch some crap. Lately as gas prices have gotten so high and the chance of catching bigger halibut seems to get harder each year in either of those places. The cost of driving a truck or camper from North pole to homer why not get on a plane and fly to Yakutat or Kodiak where you will catch some bigger butt.

Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    I know this idea will maybe catch some crap. Lately as gas prices have gotten so high and the chance of catching bigger halibut seems to get harder each year in either of those places. The cost of driving a truck or camper from North pole to homer why not get on a plane and fly to Yakutat or Kodiak where you will catch some bigger butt.
    I would agree with that. I've been known as (pardon the pun) a homer for Homer, but I've found better fishing in PWS. Bigger 'but, more lings and yelloweye. And tons of salmon. Homer is nice because there are LOTS of halibut and the fishing is pretty dang good for other species as well.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast