Thread: Zero Lake Rd

Default Zero Lake Rd

Has anyone ever tried Zero lake Rd behind the old Huston Dump for Grouse?

Yep, what would you like to know?

Is it worth giving a few hrs to, and what are the chances of finding some birds?

I've been up there a few times this year. Birds are hit and miss. I have found a few pockets of 3-5 birds and then also had days where I saw nothing. Be ready for a lot of company up there, it's a pretty popular road/trail system. Best bet would be to get off the beaten path and do some walking.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    I've been up there a few times this year. Birds are hit and miss. I have found a few pockets of 3-5 birds and then also had days where I saw nothing. Be ready for a lot of company up there, it's a pretty popular road/trail system. Best bet would be to get off the beaten path and do some walking.
    I'll echo what AKmud said, only I would add occasionally I will find birds in the winter time on the trails where cutbanks expose the soil. Not sure if they are getting grit for the gizzard or dusting their wings or both, but that is where I have found them up there. This time of year I would look for some old berries still around. Most of them have probably been picked clean, but if you can find a big patch of them, maybe there will be some birds there too.

The question with fewer hands raised would be has anyone not tried zero lake road for grouse.

Just drove it a few hours ago zero birds seen. Walked a half mile or so past the gate nada. Nice evening though!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    The question with fewer hands raised would be has anyone not tried zero lake road for grouse.
    Yup, i've pretty much found if its on a map of any kind it gets hunted, peninsula or otherwise...

go down the buffalo mine road trails, i always get them there. usually around sundown time. on the trail.
    Semper Fi!

LOL Buffalo mine road is hunted ever more heavily than zero lake and now that the birdge is "private" the crowding is even worse.

A suggestion; dont start at a road or trail, the public lands frequantly have miles of hwy frontage, pick a spot that seems to have the right cover for the game your looking for, park the truck and walk out from there. The further off the beaten path you get the better you'll do.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    LOL Buffalo mine road is hunted ever more heavily than zero lake and now that the birdge is "private" the crowding is even worse.

A suggestion; dont start at a road or trail, the public lands frequantly have miles of hwy frontage, pick a spot that seems to have the right cover for the game your looking for, park the truck and walk out from there. The further off the beaten path you get the better you'll do.
    the log bridge is private property now?
    Semper Fi!