Thread: Backpack replacement Bag???

Question Backpack replacement Bag???

I was in Barney's the other day and took a good look at there backpack bags, thinking I might want to upgrade my current bag. They have a nice bag, but $400 for the bag alone is a little steep IMHO. I have the full Barneys frame system, but the bag I am using is a Cordula (heavy) that is showing signs of a lot of use. I have tried to do a Google search, but maybe I am using the wrong Key Words...I can't seem to find anyone selling just the bag any more...not even Cabela's.

Any suggestions/link/other are appreciated.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Cabelas does still sell just the bag. My sheep partner cobbled together a hybrid pack this year using an old Sportsmans Warehouse frame, a Barneys suspension, and a Cabelas "Extreme Alaskan Outfitter". Worked darn good.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...h-All+Products

The quality doesn't touch the Barneys bags (which I use), but the price was good and it was lighter than than the Barneys bags.

Yk

The Cabela's moose pack is a knock-off of the Barney's bag. I know the history of it.

You can certainly bolt a Cabela's bag to a Barney's frame though. The only reason I can think of for doing that is cost. It certainly won't last as long.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowknife View Post
    Cabelas does still sell just the bag. My sheep partner cobbled together a hybrid pack this year using an old Sportsmans Warehouse frame, a Barneys suspension, and a Cabelas "Extreme Alaskan Outfitter". Worked darn good.
    It looks like this bag can also double as a frame less pack. The picture made it look like a cotton bag, so I had not read the details. thanks for bringing it to my attention.

As to the Barney bag, I have a fundamental problem with $400 just for the bag. That said, i hope to do some sheep hunting this next year (before I am to old) and I would like to shave weight any way I can. I have NEVE been disappointed with any of mmy Barney's gear. tell me why you think I should have the Barneys :-)
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    The Cabela's moose pack is a knock-off of the Barney's bag.
    I currently use http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/produ...AL%3BIK-517729 Neither the one in your link, nor this one seems to come as the bag alone, you have to buy the pack. I do suffer from "selective blindness" so I may have just missed it. Mike, you have been really busy on the forum this week, thanks for all your advice...it is like we have been sitting down with a cup of Jo and talking.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger45 View Post
    ...tell me why you think I should have the Barneys :-)
    Roger,

I packed out my first moose in a Coleman Peak 1 pack. It had a plastic frame, which folded itself around the quarter when I cinched the load down, and completely collapsed every time I sat it down with a load in it. I had killed the moose three miles from the strip, and it took me the better part of a week to pack it in. Following that experience I told myself that I would never again buy cheap, ineffective gear. I have broken that promise several times in the intervening years, but I have almost always regretted doing so.

The main reason I prefer the Barney's equipment is because of the cost / quality issue. I have packed literally thousands of pounds of meat, trophies, gear and even rafts with mine over the last 20 years or so. Some of these loads approached 180 lbs. If I had purchased the Cabela's pack at the beginning, there is no doubt that I would have replaced it several times by now. Of course, product failure almost always happens while you're using the product, so the question you have to ask yourself is whether you can handle a broken pack while you've got a moose quarter on your back. And of course, whether you mind the additional cost of replacing your gear.

There's a reason why almost all the guides I know are using Bob's packs.

If you're only doing one hunt a year or so, maybe you could get by. But if you want something you can use for a lifetime, and even pass it on to your kids, well, there's no question which is the better buy in the long run.

Check out these pics, so you get an idea of where you're headed-

Do you want to be this guy?

OR... do you want to be this guy?

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    There's a reason why almost all the guides I know are using Bob's packs.
    Mike,

I have had the Barney's frame and rigging for years and love it. I took it into Barneys for them to look it over and see if I needed to replace it yet. They gave it a full thumbs up. I could upgrade the shoulder straps though. My current bag has had many 1/2 Caribou and moose rear quarters, and it has held up well. The seams are in great shape, lots of pockets, tough as nails. I do like how the Barney's bag looks, and I know the quality...it is just the $400. Buying the full rig is the best "deal", but I don't need that. Thanks for the input.
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Roger45 View Post
    Mike,

I have had the Barney's frame and rigging for years and love it. I took it into Barneys for them to look it over and see if I needed to replace it yet. They gave it a full thumbs up. I could upgrade the shoulder straps though. My current bag has had many 1/2 Caribou and moose rear quarters, and it has held up well. The seams are in great shape, lots of pockets, tough as nails. I do like how the Barney's bag looks, and I know the quality...it is just the $400. Buying the full rig is the best "deal", but I don't need that. Thanks for the input.
    Roger
    Roger if you buy it at the sportsman show you can get a 10-15% discount. which would bring it down quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Russp17 View Post
    Roger if you buy it at the sportsman show you can get a 10-15% discount. which would bring it down quite a bit.
    When is the next one???

April I believe!!