Thread: Anyone shooting Blind side?

Default Anyone shooting Blind side?

Anyone shooting blind side shells? If so do you like them and what size do you use.

Banned

I've been testing them since Sept 1. Trouble is that they are made only in 2 and larger and this season I proved to myself once and for all that 2 is too large for ducks and allows the duck to pass thru the pattern offen and cripple. (now I know some will say, oh, no no no, but that is my conclusion.) The #2 BS are devastating on the small geese here and more than perfect for them. I'm sure that # 4 BS would be the ultimate for ducks as you get more shot in the shell and that is key. The hex shot is devastation on waterfowl flesh. It cost only a buck more than Black Cloud and packs more shot and is completely hex shot, not only 40% cutter shot like BC. The Great thing about BC or BS is that you can go to size 4 and get a lot more shot and have the killing power of regular size 2 steel.

I was thinking with the hex shot the shot would decrease in range with the decrease in arrow dynamics. do you still have the same range? Have you ever shot Heavy Metal? that is the other shot I am looking at changing to

Banned

Some folks on some duck sites claim that but have no proof. Lead would deform at the choke and that is why it had great killing power and that is what BS and BC are trying to replicate. When you consider shot strings, most patterns are not in reality what they look like on pattern boards anyway. Some claim that BS is all hype, but many of us know that Black Cloud is not hype. I have never shot HM and never will unless it comes down in price. Blind Side is made for use over decoys mostly they say, and not for long range. A person I know hit a goose at about 40 yards with #2 Blind side and the bird was dead when it hit the water and almost tore off a wing by completeing shattering the heavy wing bone.

Quote Originally Posted by rrjfish8 View Post
    Have you ever shot Heavy Metal? that is the other shot I am looking at changing to
    I used Heavy Shot for spring snow geese in Nebraska years ago. We would sneak behind a cow silhouette and then the first shot was for heads and then flock shoot just to get numbers knocked down. A member of the group had a tripod and video camera that we would stage about 40 yards behind where we thought we would shoot from. In replaying the footage, you could literally see holes in the flock where birds would all disappear from my shot pattern. I only bought the one box because they are so spendy and we had plenty of birds but they were fun while they lasted.
    Go Big Red!

heavy metal made by heavy shot but is not as bad in price as heavy shot because more then half is steel the heavyier shot is a smaller shot and made to fill in holes in the pattern. never talked to anyone that has used it and if it worked.

Have been using Blind Side in 3" 1-3/8 ounce #2 shot. Patterned them pre-season and the patterns were great. Took them to Redoubt bay and shot 24 ducks in three days, mostly mallard and pintails and they performed better than anything I have used to date except the $3 a shot tungsten shells. Ranges I shot were the same as with other shells, the high side being about 45 yards. If there is a complaint at all it is they shoot very tight and at closer ranges you have to be a little more precise. Unfortunateley the geese have not cooperated this year and have not had a chance to take any with Blind Side. The wound channels with these loads are very good, penetration is through and through, and as someone points out, one pellet to a wing just crushes it.

Quote Originally Posted by rrjfish8 View Post
    heavy metal made by heavy shot but is not as bad in price as heavy shot because more then half is steel the heavyier shot is a smaller shot and made to fill in holes in the pattern. never talked to anyone that has used it and if it worked.
    These seem to work well, I've sot a fair number of ducks with them and they performed well. The problem I had with them is they did not pattern well in my duck gun and I was missing shots I should not have missed.

Here's an interesting read by Randy Wakeman.

http://randywakeman.com/Blindsided_b...Hevi_Metal.htm

If you can afford it, shoot Remington HD in #4 or #6. If not, shoot #3 steel launched as fast as practical. Kent Fasteel and Winchester Xpert both offer 1550 FPS loads.

If you can afford it, shoot Remington HD in #4 or #6. If not, shoot #3 steel launched as fast as practical. Kent Fasteel and Winchester Xpert both offer 1550 FPS loads.
    or steel 3's at 1875fps. I don't buy into any of the hype behind heavy shot/metal, blindside or black cloud. I kill ducks stone dead as far away as myself or anyone can hit them. my 3's have more energy then lead 4's going 1300fps and completely pass thru a drake mallard sized duck at 40 yards and penetrate to the vitals out to 54.5 yards, way beyond the distance i'd take a shot. I just dont see the need for heavy shot, BS, or BC. but it each their own and im not saying the previously mentioned loads are not effective. Mine cost $6 a box instead of 20+
    Just food for thought

I have been doing some testing of blindside this year and found it not to be very effective on longer range shots. works great on 45 yards and under, but so does the cheapest steel shot around. I was looking for something that performed well on those 55-65 yard shots where most steel starts to lose it energy, and blindside did not perform well for me there, did better with kent fasteel and winchester HV for a lot less $. hevi-metal is the best long range loads i have seen but I dont want to pay $3 a shot. I have found black cloud to perform a little better than standard steel so i do use them for geese on those 60 yard shots. For ducks stick with some quality regular steel loads, over decoys anything works at 30-40 yards.

. . . steel 3's at 1875fps . . .
    Where do you find loads that fast? If they are reloads they are likely way overpressure. Plus it is said that ultra high velocity with steel can degrade patterns. Have you paper patterned those loads?

Have you noticed all of the ads on TV for hair restoration products or for some pill that reduces weight without dieting or exercise? Those ads are not free. Someone is buying the snake oil. The same holds true for ammo. The number of hunters is diminishing so the gun and ammo companies are coming out with "new and improved" calibers, "new and improved" guns, and "new and improved" ammo. It is all being done to squeeze more money out of fewer customers.

There was a time when steel shot loads were terrible. Steel has come a long way and current high velocity (~1500+ FPS) shells are more than suitable for any shot taken at a responsible range.

reloads yes, pressue has been tested at 10500psi. over 1000psi under SAMII spec for 3" chambers and 4k PSI under for the 3.5" gun its fired thru. I have patterned every load i shoot and if they patten poorly then i move to something else. this is the beauty of reloading. I get between 65% and 100% patterns shooting the standard 30" circle at 40 yards, using chokes from IMP CYL to .695 (extra fullish) I do agree that at times faster loads do not pattern well but if your willing to experement with differnt loads and chokes then you will end up with loads that pattern better then slower factory loads.
    steel shot components and powders have also come a LONG way as have factory steel loads. there is more then one way to skin a cat.
    I hunt over decoys and my favorite load is a 2 3/4" 7/8oz of #3s going 1640fps. shoots a very even patten and has more then enough pattern density and pellet energy to kill out to 40 yards and i dont shoot birds beyond that.

I grew up in iowa hunting over decoys shooting 2 3/4, 4 and 3 shot and shot fine even on geese, but up here I seem to do a lot more jump shooting and pass shooting. One time when I was sea duck hunting I ran out of all my 3 1/2 2's and BB's and only had 2 3/4 4's and seemed to shoot better and ducks were DEAD. I am looking to try some loads and see if I should just go back to what I was shooting but maybe in a 3in load, but wanted to see what other people were saying about the new loads.

Banned

Good advice!

Banned

Yes, I think smaller shot is the answer.