Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: kodiak versus the peninsula

Default kodiak versus the peninsula

asking for opinions and or experiences of brown bear hunting on kodiak island versus the peninsula. will be going guided as i'm a non resident. have narrowed my choices on kodiak to mileur, harms, or chervenak. on the peninsula i've spoken to butch king, mike litzen, and canoe bay among others. please provide pros and cons of the areas. i know about the exclusive guide areas on kodiak and have been told by some on the peninsula they too have private or exclusive areas. don't know this as fact. i know kodiak is on a draw permit and it seems the peninsula is open to all during the even and odd seasons. i have heard that alot of the peninsula outfitters run alot of guys through their areas and you are more than likely not hunting with the actual outfitter. want to do this right and make a good choice where i spend my money. any help is appreciated. i am kinda new so my pm feature may not work. thanks.

Just to clarify, "exclusive guide use area", just means that that is the only "guide" that can hunt that area. It doesn't mean that resident hunters (unguided) are excluded from the same area.
    The chances of being guided by the outfitter on a hunt with one of the BIG outfitters (ie: Butch King, AAA are two that come to mind) would be slim, unless you have an understanding with him in advance of your hunt.

I would opt for a fall brown bear hunt on the Alaska Peninsula on a stream with a good salmon run. My understanding is the Kodiak bear skulls might run bigger then the Peninsula bear skulls. Any bear over 8" 6" is a good sized brown bear and should make a beautiful rug and a great memory. I would prefer a big rug over how big the skull measures and the Alaska Peninsula produces some huge bears. A friend of mine recently shot a brown bear on the Peninsula that squared 8" 8". He ambushed it at 25 yards late at night on a salmon stream. I talked to 2 guys at the Sportsman's Warehouse in Anchorage the other day that had just returned from Cold Bay with bears that squared 10' 8" and 9' 6". A guy on this forum named Jake goes by BRWNR. He guides on Kodiak and other places and I can tell by his posts he is an honest and hard working guide that does well for his clients. You might have a better chance of him being your personal guide then some of the others that run big operations and book lots of clients. But, that does not mean some of the bigger outfits don't have good guides working for them. A really good and reliable brown bear guide is a notch above the rest of the guide field in my opinion. Go get it done and have fun !

I'm still looking for a good Wolverine guide. Now those are hard to come by.

Check into the Alaska Safari Trading company, Burr is a good guy and they produce big bears every year. You'll have to call him as his website isn't much.

I am by no stretch an expert on brown bears, but I have stayed in a holiday inn express. What are you looking for in a bear hunt? If you are considering a float hunt, check out forum member AlaskaTrueAdventure. Dennis is a solid forum member that puts together a fantastic brown bear float hunt. I believe forum MarineHawk posted their hunt together. BRWNBR would also be a solid choice if you want to hunt the "Emerald Isle". I believe that they will both personally guide you, as they run more personal outfits.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

What he said.

Here is the thread Spoiled one was talking about...
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...rt-and-Photos)

For my money, Scott Mileur is as good as they get. He is on Kodiak. He spent over twenty years guiding for Pinnel and Talifson and knows his stuff. In fact his area is one of their old ones on Red Lake. He is extremely honest and has an easy-going personality. I have experienced several guides that once they received your final payment on your hunt, their demeanor changed and you became a number. With Scott you will make a friend for life. And he is not going to let you go home dissatified. Granted there is no guarantee with any hunt, but he will do everything within the scope of the law to make sure your hunt is a good one. Check out the stats on the type of bears his clients have killed over the years. They have taken some real dandys. PM me if you have any other questions. Good luck!!!!

back to top. more opinions wanted.
    Last edited by redneck hunter; 11-15-2011 at 10:16. Reason: spelling

I may have missed it, but how old (roughly) are you, and what is your physical condition........?

i'm 50 yrs old and in good shape. can walk all day. handle hills well with some short rest here and there. am willing to do what it takes to get my bear. when i talked to scott mileur, he said his area is not as steep as some of the northern areas. any info is appreciated. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by redneck hunter View Post
    i'm 50 yrs old and in good shape. can walk all day. handle hills well with some short rest here and there. am willing to do what it takes to get my bear. when i talked to scott mileur, he said his area is not as steep as some of the northern areas. any info is appreciated. thanks.
    I went to Scots' area a few years back at the 50'ish mark :-). I agree his area is do-able if you are in any decent shape :-)
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

kodiak in the spring and the peninsula in the fall. those are the best dates. for me and a big bear i'd be on kodiak. for the peninsula about the only guy i'd talk to is Phil Shoemaker Grizzly SKins of Alaska, family run outfit that knows bears. can't speak on his rep, i havent' guided for him but have for others in both places.
    Cherevanak on kodiak is a stand up guy with some hot areas as well. but its kodiak they kill monsters from the road system every year.
    Bang for your buck...big investment. pick one and go for it!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    kodiak in the spring and the peninsula in the fall. those are the best dates. for me and a big bear i'd be on kodiak. for the peninsula about the only guy i'd talk to is Phil Shoemaker Grizzly SKins of Alaska, family run outfit that knows bears. can't speak on his rep, i havent' guided for him but have for others in both places.
    Cherevanak on kodiak is a stand up guy with some hot areas as well. but its kodiak they kill monsters from the road system every year.
    Bang for your buck...big investment. pick one and go for it!

Hey don't you guide on Kodiak anymore? You've taken something over 300 Brown Bears as I remember.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I'll let Jake answer that one.

I have lived here twenty six years. Don't know the others but I would go with Paul Chervanek on Kodiak. I have not hunted with Paul, but have known he and his dad for years. They are good people. I'm sure that some of the others mentioned are as well, but I don't have first hand knowledge. Good luck on your hunt!

Here is my 2 cents worth. Having guided on Kodiak and the peninsula both, I would say pick the outfit that your gut instincts tell you. Both Kodiak and the Peninsula have great bear hunting opportunities. Yes, the peninsula operaters in general tend to run a few more hunters through due to their shorter , alternating seasons. Also, hunts ( at least on the lower peninsula) tend to cost a little more. It is more expensive to operate down there. But a spring hunt on the Alaska peninsula in that land of high winds and volcanoes has to rate as one of the top big game hunts of all times. And Kodiak- Classic hunt for sure. You can't go wrong either way. I would say that I have seen more rubbed bears on Kodiak in 1 spring season than I have in 15 spring seasons on the peninsula, but I wouldn't let that deter me from hunting Kodiak. The outfitters you mentioned have good reputations. And contrary to what some people feel, a large operation is not necessarily inferior to a small operation where you are personally guided by the outfitter. The good operaters employ very competent guides, who though they may qualify, don't choose to book hunts themselves.

Feel free to p.m. me if you wish. I could reccomend some others I have personal experience with

300??? geez.....no. yes i do guide on kodiak though.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

you can also check out kevin atkins of kodiak wilderness adventures, it's in port lions. He's a personal freind, very experienced. I think he even helped guide jim shocky for reindeer on adak. Anyway, just throwin that out there in case others don't work out for you. I know thats who I personally would hunt with. Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast