Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sheep Rain Gear

Default Sheep Rain Gear

Does anybody have any recommendations for some sheep hunting rain gear? I was looking at frog togs due to the low weight, but they seem to rip really easy. I can't seem find anything that is light weight and durable.

Thanks
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Budget? I hate bulk as much as weight. Frog togs are very bulky. I have a Kiuiu Chugach jacket and really like it so far. Light, stretchy and keeps the water out.

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    Does anybody have any recommendations for some sheep hunting rain gear? I was looking at frog togs due to the low weight, but they seem to rip really easy. I can't seem find anything that is light weight and durable.

Thanks

Kuiu Chugach Rain Jacket for a high end jacket and Helly Hansen Impertech for the budget minded.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Not worried so much about budget, I have a while to piece together my gear. Where can I check out one of these jackets? Awesome sheep by the way! Thanks

I've been using Red Ledge for years,, I get a new set every year as as with most lite gear 1 season is all they will tolerate.

Not worried so much about budget, I have a while to piece together my gear. Where can I check out one of these jackets? Awesome sheep by the way! Thanks
    http://shop.kuiu.com/chugach-jacket-p16.aspx
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Budget? I hate bulk as much as weight. Frog togs are very bulky. I have a Kiuiu Chugach jacket and really like it so far. Light, stretchy and keeps the water out.
    Frog Togs bulky? Mine fit in a small stuff sack when packed up. I've stuffed my Frog Togs jacket in my cargo pocket while on the move and sheding layers. I've worn my one set of Frog Togs on a trip to Kodiak, fishing on the Copper and in my bear stand. They feel like paper and I was apprehensive when I bought mine but they've done me good so far.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Looks like some nice gear but I'd be sleeping with the dog for awhile if I paid that much for a coat. I think I'll stick with my issued gear for awhile.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

KUIU isn't cheap but it's great stuff. I don't think you'll find a better combination of light weight, durability, and waterproof.

Attachment 54137

Here it is after surviving a hellacious stretch of devils club and alders. I wore it for 3 days straight and it never leaked or allowed water to seep through despite constant rain and saturated brush. Ran it through the wash and it's as good as new.

Thanks
    The word on Frogg Toggs here in our forums from people who have used it, is that it's cheap, throw-away gear. I'm biased toward Helly Hansen Impertech, but there are others out there. Personally I avoid breathable rain gear. Seems that after a few hunts it starts leaking at the seams.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Another approach to consider: visit one of the small shops specializing in the type gear you need. Gear for alpine conditions? Consider Alaska Mountaineering & Hiking (http://www.alaskamountaineering.com/about-amh.html), or Barney's Sports Chalet.

Fit is maybe the biggest reason to shop in-person, but sometimes (not always) the salesperson has helpful personal experience. Bob Hodson at Barney's is the best example. Owners of these particular shops do a lot of research for you. You won't find big discounts at these shops, but they can save time... and can save the time/trouble of replacing cheap stuff that failed in the field.

Marmot precip jacket and pants worked great for me. YOu can usually get them on sale for 25 percent off.

Obviously for sheep you want light, compact, and breathable. I would recommend NEVER buying a rainjacket for that style of hunting that doesn't have pitzips. Open pitzips will prevent you from getting wet from the inside-out. I've gone on several week long trips with Sitka raingear and it's pretty tough to beat them. I have also used Marmot precip and they are also good but don't seem to breath quite as well as Sitka. I used a Marmot jacket while fishing and it worked pretty well. Marmot is also a fraction of the price of Sitka. If I'm going to do much hiking in rain I grab my Sitkas!

I use Helly Hansen Impertech. It is not that heavy and also doubles for my coat when I am sitting and glassing. It helps break the wind better than lighter weight rain coats. Generally, sitting around in a long sleeve polypro shirt, a patagonia R1 hoodie and the Impertech. Keeps me pretty warm.

Impertech...heavy yet effective
    Sitka gear (stormfront 3 layer) very nice design, camo pattern great,and effective rain gear.
    Kuiu Chugach ..loving the pants and I'm super pleased with their durability and functionality.
    I own and use all three.

Quote Originally Posted by jimss View Post
    Obviously for sheep you want light, compact, and breathable. I would recommend NEVER buying a rainjacket for that style of hunting that doesn't have pitzips. Open pitzips will prevent you from getting wet from the inside-out. I've gone on several week long trips with Sitka raingear and it's pretty tough to beat them. I have also used Marmot precip and they are also good but don't seem to breath quite as well as Sitka. I used a Marmot jacket while fishing and it worked pretty well. Marmot is also a fraction of the price of Sitka. If I'm going to do much hiking in rain I grab my Sitkas!
    If you ever get the chance to try an eVent shell I think you will be shocked at how breathable a rain jacket can be. I never felt a need for pit zips on the one I owned. Unfortunately it got lifted out of my truck. Only positive is that it was a custom built one of a kind jacket sooo if I see it

I used the Kuiu Chugah this year and liked it- worked as advertised. Kept me dry fishing off Hinchinbrook, a sheep hunt, 3 caribou hunts, and a moose hunt.

I do have reservations about long term durability like any Gore-tex type product but so far its very nice.
    I generally don't expect long term durability in lightweight gear...not mutually exclusive qualities but seldom found together.

I talked to Bob down at Barneys a few times. I bought my koflach boots, and pack from them. I am looking at getting one of thier tents next payday. I love those two full body bighorn sheep he has mounted in there. The one on the left is the most impressive bighorn I have ever seen. I will go check out the HH and sitka stuff as well. I think I saw both sets of rain gear in sportsmans. Thanks for the help.

KUIU is having a sale on the Chugach rain gear though Oct. 16. I have the Kuiu Chugach jacket and am very pleased. Kuiu is priced very comparable to other quality rain gear. It's not cheap but is far from the $500 being asked by some competitors.

Sitka, Arcteryx, RAB, and Mountain Hardwear all make some good rain gear. The Sitka Downpour with the brushed outer surface looks like it could be a good all round hunting rain gear. Finally Sitka put a brushed surface on some gear to get rid of some noise.

Marmot Precip gear is very light weight and packable but will soak through in extended rains. Great for fishing or camping where I can get out of the rain if need be, but not something I would take on a long sheep hunt.

I'm sure you are more than familiar with Helly Hansen Impertech. Extremely waterproof and durable, but also hot if you have to hike in it and not as light weight as other options. The price tag is a great selling point.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast