Thread: My Daughter's First Grouse!!!!

Default My Daughter's First Grouse!!!!

My daughter and I took our nearly one year old chocolate lab out to stretch her legs and search for some birds. We did not have a long time to spend out, but it was fun nonetheless! We walked about 2 miles, which was starting to make my daughter's legs a little tired. We started our way back to the truck and about 250 yards from the end of the trail, my lab started acting really birdy. As we approached, a Spruce Grouse took off from some brush and ran deeper into the woods. My daughter and dog was close behind the bird as Dad tried to catch. After a short chase, the grouse thought it was well hidden, but we had the bead on it. I loaded the .410 for my daughter, she steadied her aim and BANG...grouse was down! Immediately after the shot, my daughter screamed with excitement and the lab seemed a bit amazed that she hit it. After a bunch of high 5's and hugs from all, my daughter and lab posed for some pictures! What a way to spend an amazing Friday evening!

Just Started, Already Tired.jpgEmily's 1st Grouse (w Flash).jpg

Very nice -- Big congrats to all three of you! That is awesome!

What a great write-up and even better pictures!

Congrats to the young huntress. Tell her we are all fully jealous of her plump grouse.
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Thank everyone! And as a mere bonus, the meat was untouched by the shot, the angle was perfect! And her grouse, was the first retrieve for my lab! I can't think of a better way to start out the dogs hunting career, but with the first bird from my daughter. I missed a grouse earlier in the week with just me and the dog and after my daughter shot it, I bet the dog was thinking, "Dad, that is how you hit a grouse!!!"

Looks like the start of a lifetime of memories in the outdoors with your daughter and your lab. Good for you for getting them out!

Very nice. Congratulations to all!

Jim

Thanks Tiger15! I just showed your pictures to my four year old little girl and she's totally jealous and excited about getting her first bird. I think I'm as excited about getting her out as she is.

Awesome!! thanks for sharing a great moment, congrats!
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com