Thread: Full or Instep Crampons?

Default Full or Instep Crampons?

I was just curious as to which was a better option. I have never used crampons before but I am looking at doing a goat hunt next year so I was wondering what you guys prefer more. Thanks in advance for your input.

Bo
    "No battle plan ever survives first contact with the enemy" - Unknown
    Literal Translation:
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson

Do a search on this forum...this has been talked about a lot. There are 3 basic types of crampons: 4 point instep- light, small, easy to carry, effective, tend to roll and have to be reset regularly; 6 point instep and heel- a little bigger and less compact than the 4 point, they add heel points hich really helps going down hill, less likely to roll so don't need to be re set , I use them the most when climbing in the warmer times, less likely to tear your pant legs; full shoe crampons- spikes from about 3/4" to 2", big and bulky, Maximum gripping, toe spikes really help when climbing up ice, most likely to shread your pant legs, the only thing to have on a glacier.

I started with 4 point crampons on my first goat hunt. I had never tried anything like them, and found I could walk on bare rocks with them without problems. I used them regularly until I got my first 6 point set, and have never used the 4 pointers again. The 6 points are my "go to" system when I think there is wet/slippery ground to wet snow. I then added a set of Kahatoola spikes which are a less aggressive full shoe set and I love them for any frozen condition. I am to old to be slipping and falling. I wear one type of crampons al year long, and I hike even in the worse of weather. I frequently see folks slipping and sliding where I am not having any problems and I share with them the secret of crampons :-)
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

go to this link http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...light=crampons,, it is really good.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

I'll second the Kahtoola Microspikes.

http://www.rei.com/product/774966/ka...raction-system

If you are a REI member they have a 20% discount which ends today making that a nice buy. Spend more than $50 and you get free shipping.

Just bought those REI Microspikes. I have 6 point insteps too but for trails the Microspikes sound excellent. Thanks for the heads up on that deal.

No problem. After I got a pair my two sons saw how well they worked and they each got a pair last year and they have also become part of their alpine gear.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    I'll second the Kahtoola Microspikes.

http://www.rei.com/product/774966/ka...raction-system

If you are a REI member they have a 20% discount which ends today making that a nice buy. Spend more than $50 and you get free shipping.
    I prefer these hands down oveer the micro spikes http://www.kahtoola.com/crampons.php Just me :-)

I have been using these this year quite a bit and like them a lot:
    http://www.amazon.com/Hillsound-Trai.../dp/B005A0E2XG

Kind of a cross between full and micro spikes. LOTS of traction, go on super easy and stay in place. I like them better than the Stubia 6 point crampons I used the previous two years.

I like the velcro addition to that set of Hillsounds. I may addapt my micro spikes to have something like that. I forgot exactly what pair you had Luke, I would have likely gone that route. Oh, well. You can't have too much gear, right?