Thread: What Does Fishing Mean To You?

Default What Does Fishing Mean To You?

Reading some other threads has brought a few different opinions (naturally) and some nice sentiments regarding what fishing means to each of us. Here's my take; It used (and still does) appeal to me on every level. The preparation, the anticipation, the catch, the realease; the meals... but last year it took on another meaning adding to that gratifying sport that us anglers are constantly trying to perfect and explore... here's the new reason fishing, for me, is so rewarding:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZA-mq3JWAg
    Last edited by Back Country Robb; 03-22-2007 at 22:50. Reason: link

That video is cute, seriously. I hope my daugther will enjoy the same passion for fishing as I do. It's always a sight for sore eyes to see someone take their children fishing.

Fishing, to me, is being out on the water with a rod and reel while enjoying being in the outdoors. It doesn't have to be sunny, I don't have to catch a darn thing, and I don't have to catch a world record fish. My house is right up the street from Eagle River, so at night on the weekends during king season I will walk down to the river with my pole, some lures, a few beers and just fish. There's a reason why I don't see anyone else on the bank along with me, and that is because the chances are so slim of catching something it isnt worth the effort. But to me just sitting on the bank with a rod in my hand, a beer in the other and enjoying being out of the house is worth more than simply catching a fish.

I like the video. I also have two daughters that enjoy fishing.

There is a rare condition that affects a small percentage of the populous in North American called Salmon Fever. The syndrome seems to be centralized around costal communities and locations where access to tributaries containing migrating salmon can be found. Salmon Fever is not a fatal ailment; however some strains of the virus can be highly contagious. Although the fever can be found all over North America where salmon are present, documentation shows Salmon Fever is very prevalent among families that live in Alaska. Some professionals even believe genetics may play a vital role in transmission of the illness.

I am sick. I live to go fishing. If I do not catch fish then its not fishing...its camping or hiking or what ever else. I have salmon fever. Anticipation, casting my line, the pursuit, the bite. The thrill of not knowing what or how big that fish is on the end of my line. Will I conquer, will I land the fish. I am blessed to live in Alaska because I can fish year round. Ice fishing, Fly fishing, Fresh water, Salt water I love it all.

Yea I like to eat salmon and I do harvest my fare share to eat. But to me fishing is an obssesion, a passion, I live to fish. My tattoos by tribute on my body to the salmon I love to chase and how I feel inside.

TSS

My moto (Thanks Ray):

"Fish worship is it wrong?"

Ray Troll
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Default You're sick...

Salmon Slayer... you're sick....

and I love it too. I'm glad not everyone is affected; I love people that don't fish so I can hog the waters to myself with my fellow sufferers.

Quote Originally Posted by Back Country Robb View Post
    ... but last year it took on another meaning adding to that gratifying sport that us anglers are constantly trying to perfect and explore... here's the new reason fishing, for me, is so rewarding
    Great post!

Getting the kids into the fish is HUGE part of my "reason why" these days.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Well I tried to post the picture of my wife and I ice fishing with our 4week old son about 4 times now. Resized it ok but the thing still says it's to many kb??(I dont know ended up using my last computer as a drag anchor)

Anyway introducing my son Gunther to the life style I love and has given me nothing but joy is what fishing is all about for me now.

Gunther is 5 months old now and has been back on the ice 3 times and on 2 small game hunts.

Moments like these make it all worthwhile for me!

"Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    The KeenEye MD

Dog gone it!!!!
    I have lots of great pics like those, well sorta my kid is'nt old enough to hold a rod yet. I'll have to see if the wife can help me.

fishNpysician great pics man truely wonderful!!!!!

Default Gun and momy 4 weeks

Trying the photo thing again our freind Angie on the left Gunther in the middle and Mommy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Additcted

My day is made just seeing the kids catch something.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

I recently started a thread about fishing with kids on another fishing board. With family bonding being such a big part of what fishing means to so many of us, I thought it might be worthwhile bringing it here.

I was recently PM'd by a fellow ifisher about tips on getting kids involved with fishing. I thought it would be worthwhile sharing with the entire board. And with his permission here goes....

Quote Originally Posted by garv76
    Hey eyeFISH,
    I've noticed your great posts on ifish, nice work! I have a 6 year old daughter and 2 year old son. My son loves the boat and fishing in any type of water, no fear! My daughter on the other hand is having a hard time, even in lakes like Merwin and yale, she just dosn't like the feeling of being in the water. I noticed your family always looks like they are having a blast. You having any sugestions for my daughter and I? I love fishing and would like to spend quality time with her in the boat. She's now to the point she won't even go. Any ideas?
    Thanks for your insight.
    Dan
    It's all about making it fun.

And making it less about the fish... that comes in due time.

In the meantime you pay your dues in terms of downtime and inefficiency with your available fishing time on the water.

However small the task, allow her to participate and make her feel important, that her doing that particular task will be so critical to the outcome of the day. Stuff as simple as throwing the bumpers over the gunnel, holding the rope when you tie off. Letting her be the co-captain... the lookout while you motor out of the launch area. She can spot the "hazards" for you, logs, pilings, "floaties", watch for dangerous critters, seagulls that might bomb your occupants, or just point out whatever captures her imagination... "Look at the pretty sea lion daddy!"

If you're feeling especially bold, let her drive. If not, then let her play Ms. Congeniality... your goodwill ambassadeur to all of the other boat traffic out there. Ever notice that folks almost always wave back to a cute little kid?

Let her help you rig rods and set them out. Let her reel up gear when its time to check lines... even if it's entirely from the rodholder.

Bring lots of drinks/snacks, tell stories, sing songs, make up dance and hand/arm movements to go with them... the sillier the better.

If you get a bite, let them reel... even if it means losing the fish. Don't lose your cool... believe me, they will remember FOREVER!

Each of my kids has their "special" job on the boat. Obviously for Emi (my youngest) it's applying the wood shampoo. Jodi gets camera duty and gets to bleed all of the fish that go in the box. Marci is my most astute fisher girl... she gets to deploy and re-check gear, she fights the fish that everyone else passes on, and when she punts a rod to the old man... there's no one I'd rather have in charge of the Beckman when it's time to put one in the bag. Jaimi is the boat stewardess, keeping all of us supplied with treats and drinks.

Dress them appropriately... their outerwear should be just as comfortable as yours. If the water gets a little rough, play along like it's a special carnival ride. Emi likes to pretend she's surfing on the foredeck when the afternoon winds kick up the waves at Buoy 10. You gotta distract them in every conceivable way to keep it fun. If the weather gets really nasty, head in... don't allow them to form negative associations with the boat.

If they sense you're having fun with them, they'll have fun with you... bottom line, you mold a fishing partner for life. __________________

The KeenEye MD

I agree with fNp - gotta keep it fun. Like fishin' with the grandkid for pinks at Ingram Creek last summer. He had a blast...

Default My Salmon Slayer (not a guide)

Salmon Slayer Junior 10 years old.

Salmon Slayer Junior

*Salmon & Steelhead Journal 2006 Big Fish Contest Winner (Sockeye Catagory)
    *North American Fishing Club 2006 C&R Contest Winner (Youth Division)
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com