Thread: motor for me?

Default motor for me?

just purchased a alweld semi v 2070, tunnelled. im really looking into the suzuki 140.going to using prop mainly but will at times use a jet. heard, and talked to guys who sayy the 140 is a wicked jet setup...but what about the yamy 150??will be haulling heavy loads. etecs are not an option. thanks for all input

PM or e-mail me.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

I have a 2002 DF140 mounted on a 24' ATEC HydroLite with a tunnel and a CMC motor lift. I have about 650 hours on my motor. I have used it with both jet and prop on many trips. It's been in Prince William Sound, the Big and Little Susitna rivers, I've dip netted the Copper as well as the Kenai. I've taken my boat up the Wood river five times. I just returned from my second Koyukuk adventure, hauling two men, two boys plus two full moose and gear back to the Yukon R. bridge. We averaged 3.5 MPG running a 21 pitch prop.

It is very very difficult to talk ill of this motor. It is a real champion of a work horse. But I believe the jet is a little lacking. The DF140 has an off set drive shaft coming off the powerhead. This has a built in gear reduction, BEFORE the lower unit. I think it is 1.24:1. This is unnoticed while running a prop. Because all outboards have some sort of gear reduction for the prop. But when running with the jet. That 1.24:1 gear reduction is in effect spinning the impeller at a slower speed. So when the tac hits 6000 RPMs the impeller is only turning about 4840 RPMs. This is compensated by spinning a larger impeller (7 5/8"). Finding a motor, which will turn the same size impeller, at full RPMs would be an advantage. I'm not sure about the Yamaha 150 (or even the Suzuki 150) but it may be worth checking into. Especially for pure jet running.

I, in no way want to down play the DF140 because it is truly is an awesome motor, surpassing all my expectations. Just know what you getting. This may all be within your acceptable margins for performance. Just know the jet impeller is not spinning at the indicated RPM on the tac.

Best of luck and I hope this helps.

akjeff

akjeff-do u think myboat would perform better, due to its smaller hull.i kno it willl be a nasty prop boat...and I only plan on using the jet, in certain situations. also, howmuch travel does ur lift have. thanx

hunt/trapak88,
    I believe your boat will preform well. What should be considered is what the DF140 will not do with the jet. It will not perform well with three men, two moose on the bone with ribs, a modest amount of gear and 75 gallons of fuel. In my boat it will not get on step with that load. Those extra 1000 RPMs I wrote of earlier would be very very handy at this point. A motor that will give you full RPM with the SAME 7 5/8" impeller will lift a heavier load, regardless of hull design or boat length. If I load my boat light it handles great and runs some very very shallow water. It is just really easy to overload when hunting. There is no replacement for displacement, more RPMs equals more water through the pump and that's what this is all about. Everything is a compromise and I mean everything. So if you are getting a smoking good deal or buying a used motor or your wallet can only afford this motor then it will be fine. If you are purchasing NEW, I recommend considering all variables, load, distance, weight, economics, efficiency as well as purchase price. My motor lift travels about 5 1/2 to 6 inches. It is not enough travel to be able to switch from jet to prop without unbolting the motor. It is enough to be able to tune the height for optimum efficiency, especially on long trips with the prop. Speaking of lifts, I ran into a guy last year running a large Suzuki (I think 200) with two motor lifts stacked. So I guess he had like 11-12 inches of travel.

I run a Df 140 Johnson/Suzuki on my 20' X 60" riverboat. I switch between prop and jet also. As Akjeff said its a great motor and I am amazed at what it will do but would have to agree that the boat you bought may be more boat than is ideal for the 140.

My rig has a windshield and is fairly heavy before I put anything in it ~1800 pounds, this would include some eesential gear such as tools, pfd's, shovel, paddels, that type of thing.

I made a hunt a few years ago with 3 guys and lots of gear and had to offload (canoe & extra fuel) at the landing to get on step, at that time my boat would step ~ 2000 pounds, but 80 gallons of fuel, 3 guys, and all the gear to be comfortable adds up, and this is before we put any dead anaimals in the boat! I have since added some pods and can now lift ~ 2400 pounds. still I consider my boat a 2 person outfit for hunting.

Your boat will gain some lift with the wider bottom, I added pods to help compensate, the lift I use is a Power trans, it has over 7" of travel and allows a ez swap from jet to prop with adjustment to spare on either setup, its a great lift, but It weighs 55 pounds and acts like a big lever on the transom, it really hurt my hole shot, the wider bottom will help in this regard and once again the pods compensated for this very well.

If you plan to run this boat open and light it will probaly do fine, a windshield and 3 guys and you may find it lacking.........?

Do you know what the weight is when ready to drop it in the drink?

The wider bottom will increase ypour floatation and is the way to go IMO, but speed will suffer some unless you increase the HP, can you ask the dealer who is putting this together to put you in touch with someone that has a similar setup?
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    I have since added some pods and can now lift ~ 2400 pounds.
    I have been considering this too. Now I think I am convinced. 20% increase is definitely worth the expense and trouble. I did see your post, awhile back, on the pod build but just don't remember the performance numbers. Thanks for posting that.

my rig will only be a two man hunting setup for sure..but once again the two full moose, fuel and fear etc worries me with the jet on. I know the 2060 model hull weighs just 600, so the 70 surely cant be that much more. I plan on goin light with the build, no hatd top or walkthru windshield...but will buold a nice plywood cab(as

light as possible). akjeff-i read ur post on ur
    koyukuk hunt, as my boat will see the river as
    well..2 men two boys and heavy im sure,(and a
    larger boat than me), excites ne when I see ur
    fuel consumption/speed..money really isnt a
    issue as I want to do it right the first time, but im
    concerned how big of motor the boat can actually
    handle. boat shop said 150 tops...i had a 09
    suke175on a 22 alumaweld, and it was impressive,
    but weighd over 500lbs..i believe in overpowering,
    but this is my confusion...how big.?ive heard
    excellent things bout the 140, but the rpm issue
    is considered. fuel consumption is vital, but
    obviosly a larger motor working not as hard is better than the other way...

like said before, I really dont plan on gooin to far with the jet, but I will possibly have a load when I do..two moose gear fuel etc. ive been on the river and know all the hard facts, but this boat will be used all around southcentral as well..

the powertrans loojs like the ticket lift wise..anymore info would be greatly appreciated!thanks guys.keep it coming

I thought your question about the Alweld looked familar, the hull width was discussed in a earlier thread, It just never clicked until today. Is the Boat Shop handling Suzukis now? That would be great as they are a fine motor IMO. I know in the last thread I recomended the wider hull and even said it should be Ok, but akjeff made some good points worth considering and every boat/ motor/ setup and combo can vary.

I would hate to be the one to say it would work fine only to find out its not what you were hoping. The guys at the Boat Shop know their stuff, if they are making recomendations I know they have way more experience and knowledge than I, I have learned a lot with my boat, but thats mine and doesnt nesscarily apply to others.

I am suprised about the 150 max on the 2070, I wonder if that is a prop rating? I did see a Alweld with a Honda 225 on the Clearwater a couple of weeks ago, it was a good size boat, maybe 22 foot? and not sure on the width but guessing a 70" bottom or bigger. I would have loved to talk to the owner as I have been looking at the big Hondas for my next boat........if that ever happens......LOL
    TR

that 175 I had was big...way big.prolly light for that hp rating of.motor(compared to others) but was big. with the lift, pushing prolly close to 600 lbs hanging off the back of the boat..ouch. but it was waaaaay impressive.!! surely there is a safety factor when judging max hp rating. no boat shop isnt dealing suzukis, etecs hondas. maybe yamys??

I think suzuki motors are the best motor available in 4-stroke, but id go w/ the E-tec if it was me

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

no etecs for me....not to bad mouth them..

getting a wild hair up my rear to rid all my issues of sluggishness with the jet on the 140..and go with a 175...?? to much for my rig??weighs 475, and with the lift will be well over 500...gosh it will be nasty...if its doable.?lets hear it. thanx guys

The 150 to 200 hp OB jet boat motor is tough to fill, To my knowledege Specialtity does not make a pump for the Suzuki 175, the optimax 175 seems like a good option but you may as well go for the 200 and get the benefit of more displacement, same thing with the E-tec.
    Honda doesnt make anything between a 150 -200, yamaha has a 175 V-max, but like the merc and the rude its the same displacement as the 150...........
    TR

I know where you can get a near new 150 Opti
    However, if 4s is your goal, I would look at the new Yammy SHO's. 505lbs for a 200-250 hp 4s, and OBJets is making pumps for them.
    I think these will be the new gold standard for outboard jet engines.
    Slap as big an engine on there as you can afford. A 20' boat will carry some serious weight, and you'll need all the power you can get.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

gosh dang thats large...thats gotta be a six cylinder...?whixh then im worried about fuel.consumption...the 140 is looking good for me. I am.notwanting to go 40mph with my jet on, I just want to be able to move a 2000/2500lb load, then back to prop. I know with the prop I will be able to
    move some serious weight as guys with larger
    boats/more weight are doing impressive things. its
    only a two man hunting show for this rig, at the
    most... the 140 is lighter than 115's, does great on
    fuel, and is a good price range for. ive been back and forth for a while.now, deciding on a motor, just need to make my min a up and stay to it. im not realizing what the 140 is capable of..all and all I will have a light setup with power. as akjeff stated, he moved a 24 foot boat with two moose/gear fuel, 4ppl, and moved 25mph up river, with throttle to spare. thats good enough for me..

With a prop, even a 115 will do really well. That Suzuki 140 with a prop will be a beast, as others have stated.
    My statements reflect useing a jet pump. Thats when you'll want all you can get.
    Sounds like you are sold on the Suzuki, a great choice from all accounts.
    Although, if you found a great deal on a 150 Yammy, I wouldn't back away from it.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.