Thread: Hunt for Caribou

Default Hunt for Caribou

We have a group of 6 looking to plan a trip in 2012, for a Caribou Hunt (non-resident) in Alaska. Can anyone provide information on which area is best to hunt for trophies as well as being secluded? We definitely want to go unguided and the most cost efficient trip. Also, any recommended Transporters would be appreciated. Thanks for your help in advance, Tom.

Cost effective and secluded are usually not going to be realistic matches. Where you can get into the field inexpensively you can expect to find plenty of company. I'd start your research by reading hunt reports from those who have hunted the Western Arctic Caribou Herd (WACH) out of Kotzebue or Bettles and reports from those who have hunted the Central Arctic Herd out of Happy Valley. Both areas offer great caribou numbers, a reasonable chance at getting large antlered animals, and some degree of solitude if you're willing to pay to get flown out far enough. Just getting to Kotz, Bettles, or Happy Valley won't be cheap in itself, though, and the fly-out will only add to the expense. Such is caribou hunting in much of Alaska, though. The animals are plentiful, but the options near the road system are extremely limited, especially for non-residents.

Brian,
    Thanks for the quick reply. So far, we have looked at areas 23 and 26 (B) and it looks as if 26 would be the most secluded with good chances for a nice bull. Have you hunted this area or know any information on this area? Weve been communicating with a Transported that will fly us out of Pump Station #2 (Dalton Highway). Its getting expensive but we are willing to look at the option if the area has been successful. Thanks for any input, Tom.

Every year there are posts by non res that hunt the 40 mile herd with 40 mile air.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

if you want trohpy quality and fewer people you are better off heading to the 40 mile area, 26B will be cheaper but a lot more hunters and trophy quality is not as good. Ive hunted both and the 40 Mile area would be my first choice

Quote Originally Posted by Trodgers View Post
    Brian,
    Thanks for the quick reply. So far, we have looked at areas 23 and 26 (B) and it looks as if 26 would be the most secluded with good chances for a nice bull. Have you hunted this area or know any information on this area? Weve been communicating with a Transported that will fly us out of Pump Station #2 (Dalton Highway). Its getting expensive but we are willing to look at the option if the area has been successful. Thanks for any input, Tom.
    If you're talking about Mike McCrary's outfit, I've heard really good things about them. You're not going to find a better one, that's for sure. And he can certainly get you into the game.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I would look into the Nelchina herd. You can lie your A S S off to get a permit, and the access is second to none! Easy. Don't feel bad about forging your application, as a high percentage of other Permitees do the same. You will never be audited for your application. It's a "No Risk" hunt opportunity... Guaranteed!

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCub View Post
    I would look into the Nelchina herd. You can lie your A S S off to get a permit, and the access is second to none! Easy. Don't feel bad about forging your application, as a high percentage of other Permitees do the same. You will never be audited for your application. It's a "No Risk" hunt opportunity... Guaranteed!
    Might wanna check the regs on that one there man. No any requirements other than being an Alaskan resident and willing on only hunt moose and caribou in unit 13 to receive one caribou permit for your household....at least for this year

'When' are you proposing to hunt?

Caribou generally migrate in a predictable timeframe, but where too nobody knows, just in September the Southern trend kicks in.............As well, where a Caribou is at 1PM he is generaly not by 1:15Pm.....
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Trodgers - I have hunted off of the Dalton Highway, but not by flying out. Folks tend to get into a lot of caribou up there, but there is a realistic chance that you'll see other hunters (though that's not certain). Like Michael Strahan mentioned, if you're looking for a transporter up there I haven't heard anything but good reports about 70 North. The other suggestion made above about 40 Mile Air might be a good option as well.

'Lanche, Yeah I know. But, it's been a liars permit forever. What does residency have to do with it? ha ha

To the original poster. If I wanted to hunt Caribou, Kotzebue would be near the top of the list. Good luck.

kotzebue. golden eagle or northwestern for your transporters.

Brian M.,

Several replies to this thread have mentioned 40-Mile Air and the 40-Mile Herd. I've looked into 40-Mile Air and they operate out of Tok and seem to fly into unit 20D&20E. Is this the area where the 40-Mile herd is located?

In general what can you or any others tell me about GMU 20D&E? is it crowded? Are there good caribou numbers there? What are the chances for a combo hunt there for Caribou and Black Bear? How about Moose? Is this area better later in September?

Anything you can tell me would be appreciated.

The 40-Mile hunt is in units 20B, 20D, 20E and 25C. It's broken into 3 zones. Zone 1 (Northwest) is portions of 20B and 25C. Accessible by road and ATV. Zone 2 (Central) is portions of 20B, 20D, 20E and 25C and is NOT road accessible. Access is limited to boat or plane. Zone 3 (Southeast) is portions of 20E. Accessible by road and ATV. 20D will not be as crowded as 20E since it is flyout or boat only. There is a fall and winter hunt registration hunt. Zones 1&3 tend to open late or close early by emergency order, sometimes only open for a few days. Zone 2 tends to stay open for most if not all of the season due to the accessibility. Zone 2 fall season is AUG 10-SEP 20 (non-res) and the winter hunt is closed to non-res. I would do plenty of research on the 40-Mile hunt before committing to it but if you do I would concentrate on Zone 2 for less people and a longer season. Black bear is open all year, no closed season. There are 8 different moose hunts in 20D so you'd have to know the exact location you were flying to but generally for non-res the season runs 5-15 SEP give or take a few days in either direction. 20E moose for non-res is 8-17 SEP and it's a registration hunt but you can't hunt moose and caribou at the same time, no hunting moose on RM865(moose) if you have a RC860(caribou) tag. Again, that is only for certain portions of 20E. You really need to do a lot of research if your going to try and make it a combo. You'd be better off sticking to either caribou or moose and black bear with either. Download the regs from ADF&G.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine