Thread: Framing Question

Default Framing Question

Does anyone out there have any pictures of, or can explain to me how to frame a triangle window into the gable end? Do I need header material in this scenario? I want angled windows to match the pitch of the roof, and realized I have no idea how to frame these in. Any help is appreciated.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Teri View Post
    Does anyone out there have any pictures of, or can explain to me how to frame a triangle window into the gable end? Do I need header material in this scenario? I want angled windows to match the pitch of the roof, and realized I have no idea how to frame these in. Any help is appreciated.

Bob
    You need a joist from plate to plate to keep the walls from spreading apart. Could you frame a normal, rectangular window below and a small, triangular window above the joist line?

No need for headers in gable ends, except under the ridge board. Simply put two studs the width of your window apart, a sill below and single two-by on edge above, and cripples as needed. Voila!
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Cdubbin is right on. The header is the rafter as long as the window isn't under the ridge.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Thanks for the info guys. I tend to over think things sometimes. That sound's easy.

Bob

Attachment 54148
    Header not needed

Attachment 54149
    Header needed

Attachment 54150
    In a case like this, one would normally use knee-walls and collar ties to support the roof and keep the walls from spreading