Thread: Wind Report

Default Wind Report

I'm working in South Anchorage and the wind is blowing pretty hard. Forcast calls for lighter winds this evening but if this keeps up i'm not even going to risk trying to cross the inlet. Hows the wind else where?

its calmed down a lot on FT. rich. it was howling this morning.

Jim Lake super windy

How is the hunting when it is so windy out?

it all depends on if you know where to go. gotta get into more protected water, where the ducks head to get outta the wind

Banned

It can be pure hell handling a small boat and dangerous even on shallow duck lake. I've been out in super deep Prince William sound a lot but actually have had more accidents on duck lake and that slough. The trouble with duck hunting is the worst the weather, the more they fly. Sailing and waterfowlin' are the only time I like wind.

Hunting the Knik side, I would be concerned about leaving my boat anchored in Knik at high tide, other then that, I would love to be on the lake when windy, however, there are good places to hunt in protected areas on the knik side, as I am sure on the rabbit slough side, and would not venture out into the main lake without a suitable boat. Some of my best memories have been on super windy days, ducks fly low and fast with the wind and are looking for protected areas and will decoy right in, no hesitation. The wind makes whitecaps and rough water in the large water areas and blows them into seeking protected areas, can be fantastic if the birds are there. But the day after will be just like the day before. In this case, I was on the lake from 6am to 6 pm on thursday and came home with 2 ducks after a day of very little shooting and hearing very few shots in the distance. Bud
    Wasilla

Banned

Was that yesterday?

Yes yesterday, thursday. Bud
    Wasilla

Banned

That is very interesting as I know for a fact that the flats got a glut of birds late Wed and they all must have left on the clear skies that night if few birds were present thurs. Many probably got out before the windy weather front.