Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Banded bird.

Default Banded bird.

Got my first banded mallard here in Juneau yesterday. He was tagged on the Minto flats in early August. My boy was the first to notice it (he is 7). "Hey dad there is somthing on your ducks leg, it looks like a braclet". Not sure who was more excited.

Do you guys up north get a lot of bands? Down here it is pretty rare, at least in Juneau and for the crew I hunt with.

Very rare I have only shot four in the last 15years. Very cool for your kid to witness. Glad someone is sharing the sport with there youth.

Quote Originally Posted by mallardman View Post
    Got my first banded mallard here in Juneau yesterday. He was tagged on the Minto flats in early August. My boy was the first to notice it (he is 7). "Hey dad there is somthing on your ducks leg, it looks like a braclet". Not sure who was more excited.

Do you guys up north get a lot of bands? Down here it is pretty rare, at least in Juneau and for the crew I hunt with.
    No, over 500 birds between the guys this year and one band. Thats the first one in 5 years. VERY VERY rare. where was the bird from?

Like I said below.... it was from the minto flats area. It was this years bird but was twice the size of the local mallards I have been getting the last couple of weeks.

Where are you hunting Griffin?

Quote Originally Posted by mallardman View Post

That's pretty cool. I remember being about that age when my dad took me duck hunting. He got a banded bird then too. I can't believe your son is 7 already. Doesn't seem like it's been that long.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Tell me about it boater! Hard to believe that I have been takeing him duck hunting for 3 years now. We use it as time to practice gun saftey with his bb gun. He is also my official neck ringer. In a couple of years I am going to have two of them out there.... I am going to need to shoot a lot more birds to keep everyone happy in the blind

Couple more years you can set him up with a 20 gauge and just sit back, call, and drink coffee.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Yep. He has a youth size .410 that he has been wanting me to bring out but I think I am going to wait till next year when he get a little more comfortable with it.

my mistake, I thought thats where it was taken. I im in the anchorage area. palmer flats as well as susitna flats, and then of course the tour of various lower 48 states later in the year.

One of our guys got 3 banded birds one day, and 1 more a day later at Minto. I've never found one, and this guy catches 4!!! Darn Jewel Thief he is. And my dog was the one that retrieved all of those birds for him. I know I should have kept one.
    Neat to know the birds here head that way. I never thought about their flight path out of the interior.
    Things are freezing up here, not sure if Minto has any good water open for puddlers or not. Maybe, just maybe, I'll sneak out this weekend to take a look. Every morning the ducks on the river in front of the house tease me.
    The guys had some really good shoots at Minto this year. My other buddy says he almost feels too guilty to go out again after more. The key word is "almost".
    ARR

Huge banding station in Minto... if you hunt there often, your chances for bling are much increased.

Got 2 banded greenheads here in KingSalmon this year .One from Galena the other from Fairbanks .Shot them a week apart and my 9 year old noticed both of them .

I have been hunting up here since 2006, I have never even seen a band taken with all the guys I have hunted with. They seem to be pretty rare in the anchorage area.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I got my first band down here in AZ it was a hen redhead banded in Carson City Nevada. Nobody I've hunted with in South Central had gotten a band

Banned

Maybe you see the discontent with so many hunters hunting here in the Anchorage/valley area. How are things in Juneau?

ive gotten 6 in the last 10 years...all from my duck shack which is fly in only...
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

You need to play the lottery!
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

A retired judge friend of mine has a fly out shack in Minto. He told me that he and his buddies shot a lot of ducks with bands this year. He said that they were banding them this summer pretty close to where they hunt.

There are big banding efforts each year at Minto, the Su flats, and other areas in northern and western Alaska. Birds only move if they have to, so hunting near these areas definitely boosts your chances.

Here is a video of the Minto area banding. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TIfWU862Xs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast