Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Thread: ? for denalihunter

  1. #1
    Member summitx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Los Anchorage
    Posts
    400

    Default ? for denalihunter

    How's the Denali hwy looking, still drivable looking on heading out that way the 21st, seen any bou around. Steve

  2. #2
    Premium Member denalihunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    67 mi E of Cantwell, 68 mi W of Paxson
    Posts
    1,556

    Default

    Last check in at the lodge was yesterday. No snow on the ground at the lodge. An inch or two around Canyon Creek. Not sure about going the other way out to Paxson, but I think it's still passable. I've been away from the lodge the last 10 days, but I understand the caribou are lightly scattered everywhere, as usual. I'll be driving back in on Oct 17th, hopefully, with the last load of supplies for the winter. I'll see if I can talk Denali Snow into posting some pic's today.
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

  3. #3
    Member DenaliSnow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Denali Highway
    Posts
    57

    Default

    It snowed most of the night and into the morning today!! It has cleared up this afternoon and the sun is trying to break through now. Not much measurable snow on the ground but here are some pictures for your enjoyment!!

    IMG_0173.JPGIMG_0176.JPG
    Get Lost! (and like it!) Come to Alpine Creek Lodge! http://www.alpinecreeklodge.com/

  4. #4
    Member AKDoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Talkeetna
    Posts
    5,714

    Default

    Nice wood pile. I'm impressed you got it all cut up. My wood hauling trips to you guys are one of the highlights of my summer.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

  5. #5
    Premium Member denalihunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    67 mi E of Cantwell, 68 mi W of Paxson
    Posts
    1,556

    Default

    That pile of wood was something else! Took us 6 days to cut, split and stack that. It should last us about a full calendar year. I'm going to have it delivered earlier in the summer this year! I got it too close to moose season, but we finished it before opening day. It's a highlight of our summer to have you guys show up with it.

    Claude

    PS. Weather update is that it has been snowing and then blowing. Hopefully snow can get us a new update. She said she did not see any cars pass yesterday. I'll be there in a couple of days, and keep the weather updates coming before the upcoming caribou opener.
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

  6. #6
    Member PG13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    342

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post
    PS. Weather update is that it has been snowing and then blowing. Hopefully snow can get us a new update. She said she did not see any cars pass yesterday. I'll be there in a couple of days, and keep the weather updates coming before the upcoming caribou opener.
    That would be super as I'm sure I'm not the only lurker on this thread. That's really great of you to offer and appreciate the consult. Life got in the way of the fall hunt so now I'm jacked to see the Denali Hwy for the first time next week.
    Go Big Red!

  7. #7
    Member DenaliSnow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Denali Highway
    Posts
    57

    Default

    A couple people passed through today. They said the highway was good just icy in areas. The snow has mostly melted that fell yesterday. It has been raining off and on all day today. We had a high of 38 degrees and a low of 34 degrees today. Critters are out and moving along the highway!
    Get Lost! (and like it!) Come to Alpine Creek Lodge! http://www.alpinecreeklodge.com/

  8. #8
    Member AKDoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Talkeetna
    Posts
    5,714

    Default

    Next year we are staying so we can have a beer and take a break. Maybe we'll bring the wives
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

  9. #9
    Premium Member denalihunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    67 mi E of Cantwell, 68 mi W of Paxson
    Posts
    1,556

    Default

    That would be great Doug! We have already booked Ukulele Russ for next year. Should be fun!
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

  10. #10
    Member DenaliSnow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Denali Highway
    Posts
    57

    Default

    We had about 3-4 inches of snow last night. Claude is due home tonight. I will post an update soon when we know how the rest of the highway is.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Get Lost! (and like it!) Come to Alpine Creek Lodge! http://www.alpinecreeklodge.com/

  11. #11
    Member AKDoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Talkeetna
    Posts
    5,714

    Default

    That right there is what we call a Gate Creek 12" of snow
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

  12. #12
    Premium Member denalihunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    67 mi E of Cantwell, 68 mi W of Paxson
    Posts
    1,556

    Default Weather Update - Denali Highway! SNOW!

    Okay, I drove in yesterday afternoon. There is 8" to 10" of snow all the way from Cantwell to about mile post 85. So the first 50 miles were challenging to me in our Yukon, but I made it. After milepost 85 to milepost 68, there is 5" to 7" of fresh snow. So caribou hunters beware, the highway may not be passable on the 21st. The snow isn't bad, but if we get any wind, Canyon Creek area will drift over and that will be the end of travel. I do have all of our vehicles here at the lodge, so I'm debating if I need to run them out and ride snow machines back in.

    As always, running the highway between Oct 1st and May 15th, is at your own risk, so use your own judgement and always be prepared for anything, and have the right survival gear.

    If you have snow machines, it would have been an awesome ride yesterday afternoon!!

    Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Eagle River,AK
    Posts
    1,494

    Default

    Any caribou or sign? I had a friend pass thru Sat and seen about 300 cross the road at Mile 52 heading to Canada...

  14. #14
    Premium Member denalihunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    67 mi E of Cantwell, 68 mi W of Paxson
    Posts
    1,556

    Default

    There was a lot of caribou sign. It had snowed heavily all last night and during the trip in, but I passed at least 10 places where caribou had just crossed in the fresh snow. So any track that I did see would have been in the few hours previous.
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Eagle River,AK
    Posts
    1,494

    Default

    Thanks for your reports!

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    Any caribou or sign? I had a friend pass thru Sat and seen about 300 cross the road at Mile 52 heading to Canada...
    From MP 48 to 53 is The major crossing/gathering spot. Anyone sitting there first light on the opener will have their hands full of caribou before the sun gets full. That is a good place this time of year.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  17. #17
    Member AK Troutbum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Chugiak, AK.
    Posts
    1,525

    Default

    caribou1.JPGcaribou2.JPGI just got back yesterday, drove across from Cantwell to Paxson. Spent Sat. night at the top of the pass and it snowed all night and was snowing the next day when we drove out. The pass got several inches overnight on Sat. and I was wishing that I would have brought the chains, fortunately we didn't need them. Saw caribou 40, 85, and 120 miles in from the Cantwell side. Some of the groups we saw numbered around 40 or so.
    Last edited by AK Troutbum; 10-18-2011 at 11:51. Reason: pics added

  18. #18
    Member STEELHED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    112

    Default

    Trout.....how was the Paxson side? Do you think we can still get a motorhome in the first 10-15 miles in from Paxson?

    THX!!!

  19. #19

    Default

    Are the late October bull caribou there any good eating, or likely to be rutty?
    Jason
    http://www.troutnut.com -- Fly fishing photos & insect hatch encyclopedia.
    http://www.daltoncorridormap.com -- Exact 5-mile Haul Road corridor boundary for GPS & Google Earth

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Troutnut View Post
    Are the late October bull caribou there any good eating, or likely to be rutty?
    It's a crap shoot at best. Some are rutty and others are cleaned up...Albeit in rather poor shape at best. The meat is sub-par as compared to an August thru mid-September bull. Look for signs of aggression or rut before you shoot...DON'T...I repeat DON'T shoot a rutty bull...
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •