Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Predator calls for bears..

Default Predator calls for bears..

Anyone have any luck using distress calls? Particularly, I've read they can work well during late season as the bears are in a high scavenging mode prior to denning up.

Any specific tips, tricks or preferred calls? Id like to try a distress or calf call but I think I'd botch a calf in distress call lol.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Send a message to homerdave. Last fall he used a call to bring a black bear into shooting range for his son. I'm pretty sure it was a hare in distress mouth call, but I could be wrong on that. As I recall the story, they spotted the bear at a distance and used the call to turn it around and bring it back in their direction. I had a similar call in my pocket last weekend, but never spotted a bear to use it on. With the brown bear population in the area I was hunting, I wasn't too anxious about blowing on that call unless I had a black bear spotted first and plenty of visibility in all other directions.

I used to use a fawn in distress back in Missouri during the early archery season to bring does in for meat hunts and to control the buck to doe ratio. The main thing to keep in mind while using distress calls is to imagine how the scenario would play out in real life. Up here you could go with a hare in distress starting out like it is just being subdued by a fox, yote or lynx then throw in a predator yip or hiss/growl increase tone/volume and frequency with hare distress.

Quote Originally Posted by sniper3083006 View Post
    I used to use a fawn in distress back in Missouri .
    you aint in missouri toto!
    Semper Fi!

The area is very dense with a high population of brown bears. Better bring my brush gun
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I haven't used a caller before freeze-up but I've heard several stories of brownies charging full on through the brush at Mystery Creek coming in to a coyote call (distressed rabbit). IF I were doing that this time of year I'd be sitting back-to-back with somebody holding a .375.

Morgan
    Soldotna, Ak

I have called 3 shooters in this year alone on cub in distress calls and all 3 came in with-in 40 minutes of calling

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

sceercy (sp?) makes great rabbit in distress calls that do well for bears. prob get some lynx/coyote to come in as well.

I hope to sneak out this weekend to give it a shot! I have a brand new FoxPro fury with all my presets programmed in and have been playing with it around the house the last few days. I have a spot picked out now just need to sneak in there and set it up. I like the idea of being able to set it all up a ways away from my location with a good vantage point. Even picked up one of those quivering lures to give em something visual to be excited about! Then again the electric and plumbing is slated for install on the shop this weekend sooooo plans may change..

I might spring for a new e-caller then.

I did a rabbit in distress call this year on the denali and got a griz within 250 yrds. that was in Sept.

Purse your wetted lips and .....Suck.

Make a "squeeky" sound and keep it up as loud as you can........Fox, Owls, Otter, Lynx, Wolves, Bears ~ Great allaround call and nothing to buy and nothing to lose but a little spit.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by alaskafilm View Post
    I haven't used a caller before freeze-up but I've heard several stories of brownies charging full on through the brush at Mystery Creek coming in to a coyote call (distressed rabbit). IF I were doing that this time of year I'd be sitting back-to-back with somebody holding a .375.

Morgan
    Soldotna, Ak
    I've got a .375 AND a rabbit in distress call AND a mouse squeeker.

Don't you have a fat pillow to chase down and investigate oh great sheriff? I realize I ain't in Mo. and was just saying to create the calling scenario as it would unfold in real life.

Well, hell- we got us a posse.

Heading out in a hour to hopefully get on a nice fall grizz and get a buddy of mine his first blackie (or grizz). I will be using a cub in distress call that has called in 3 for 3 so far this year.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Quote Originally Posted by NhraFox View Post
    Heading out in a hour to hopefully get on a nice fall grizz and get a buddy of mine his first blackie (or grizz). I will be using a cub in distress call that has called in 3 for 3 so far this year.
    I've got a .375, a foxpro, and a very comfortable back! Sure you and Top don't need some backup?

Good luck, let me know how it turns out...

Quote Originally Posted by sniper3083006 View Post
    Don't you have a fat pillow to chase down and investigate oh great sheriff? I realize I ain't in Mo. and was just saying to create the calling scenario as it would unfold in real life.
    I realized what you were saying and appreciate the input, don't let 'em get to ya!

I may need to call you if we get into some today Ducks, shoot me a call if you really want to get out I will spread a little wealth your way (we will be 11 miles from the location I tell you about). 907-317-7690 (and yes the other area is productive just pack a side arm with you...lots of brownies but I did take a nice 5'8 blackie out of there in july in under 10 minutes of calling.

good vantage point definately key was calling bears a few years ago until i was blue in the face. After hitting a valley for a long time i got up and walked about 100yrds only to find fresh bear tracks in the snow. one had come in and i never saw it due to picking a bad spot to set up with a poor view of the surrounding area. watch your backside they can be pretty quiet coming in. i think wayne carlton has a video called call n' bears out there that has some good tips for blackies that im sure would work for grizz.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast