Thread: Grouse and Ptarmagin hunting questions

Default Grouse and Ptarmagin hunting questions

I live in the fairbanks area and want to get out of the house and hunt some birds. I was wondering if anyone has any good spots to go that I dont need to take my wheeler. I dont expect people to post to much, because they might not want a ton of people hunting up there spot. I just want to have some fun and birds. Also if someone traps and want the carcass after I shoot them let me know. I want the meat, and if i get one, a nice mount of a ptarmigan.
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

J,

Check out a thread that is still on the first page of this forum titled, "New to Fairbanks." There are a couple others from your area this season with some hints in them if you just scroll through a couple pages. I recall one about someone on/near base for example.

My only response to your actual post is in regard to ptarmigan mount-worthiness. I was up high after white-tailed ptarmigan last weekend. I would expect they are the first to molt into their winter whites since they specialize in the UPPER elevations here snow will hit first. Those birds were still a couple weeks away from being ready for a mount. Any blood feathers will exit through the follicles during the mounting process and you'll end up with a naked bird. So for now, enjoy the pursuit and enjoy the table fare but I wouldn't pursue them as a taxidermy specimen just yet.
    Go Big Red!

Sending you a PM. I was drawn by the Force to contact you. You should reply and seek me out.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Hey there anyone interested in taking an avid bird hunter from Minnesota out ptarmagin hunting or know of someone who guides on birds. We have Ruffed Grouse and spruce here but no ptarmigans and I would like to get on some. I guide here in MN for upland game with a Brittany. If someone is willing to take me out I could take them out pheasant hunting or just pay someone for guiding me around. Please if anyone has any info or interest let me know thanks.

Ol' SkinnyD is done with ducks now. He and his kennel of trusty dogs will be happy to go grouse hunting at any opportunity.

katy_fetch.jpg
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    Ol' SkinnyD is done with ducks now. He and his kennel of trusty dogs will be happy to go grouse hunting at any opportunity.

katy_fetch.jpg
    Is that a muskrat in the background?
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

probably not in that picture, but I had a beaver almost crawl in the blind with me out there once this fall
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Not sure about spots in the fairbanks area specifically. But a good rule of thumb right now is elevation 600' and up with a good mix of Alders and Spruce (other evergreens). You should find plenty Ptarmigan and Bunnies shading/sheltering right at the base of the trees.
    My dog is a bit old to go bashing through the Alders now, so I just go bashing while my eldest (9) stands on the higher ground with his 20Ga taking whatever comes out. 3 Ptarmigan and 2 Snowshoe hare yesterday in just over 30 mins hunting; we (me, wife, 3 boys and dog) out on a family hike and we just stopped for a bit so my eldest could hunt.
    My experience of Rabbit and Ptarmigan here is that don't make a big plan of it. Get up, if it's a nice day, hit the hills with a 22 or a shotgun and you will get lucky. The times we have planned small game hunting have always been a wash.
    That said, when we get our next dog I'll start taking it a bit more seriously again.

The best advice I can give for finding game birds it thus. When you find a birdy looking area start hunting it up. After your arms get a little tired of the port at arms position instead of stopping and resting just open the action of your gun and casually throw it over one shoulder while you keep walking. By doing this I greatly increase the chances of having birds, often several at a time, flush at my feet. LOL
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post

katy_fetch.jpg
    Any time buddy! We need to find time to get together and hunt this "off season". Lets do lunch, LOL!!!
    Hunt until you don't like it any more