Thread: 338-06 and 250gr partitions?

Default 338-06 and 250gr partitions?

I have a some 338 250 partitons laying around and I was thinking about loading some up for my 338-06. My question is will it out perform a 210 TTSX. I have been shooting the barnes tipped in the rifle and getting .5 groups at a 100 yards at about 2700FPS. I have black bears with that load and they have all dropped in tracks. I have heard a lot that when shooting barnes bullets you can go down a few weights of bullets, because of the weight retention. I planned on useing it for moose/grizzly. Any one have any experience with the 250 patitons?

Used them for many years at about 2,700 fps mv out of a .338 Win. Always killed very well, none of the 3 that I recovered ever weighed over 180 grains. I doubt they will out penetrate the 210 X bullet and I don't know if they would "kill better". I know they will give your shoulder a harder punch!

I haven't even bothered to try the Barnes because I've had such great luck with the Nosler 250. I've used them in 338, 340, 338-06 and 338-06 AI and never a single issue with it in MV's ranging from around 2200 to 2800+. A bud has an original 333 OKH and solved the problem of getting .333 diameter bullets by having a swage made for reducing .338 bullets. His go-to for the last 40 years has been the 250 partition.

As for "better" than the Barnes? I guess that brings up the question "How dead is dead."

My Schneider barreled 338-06 is a tack driver with the Partitions, but it's nearly as accurate with the 210 TSXBT. I prefer both the terminal performance of the TSX, and not unnecessarily adding lead to my diet.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by swapdonkey View Post
    I have a some 338 250 partitons laying around and I was thinking about loading some up for my 338-06. My question is will it out perform a 210 TTSX. I have been shooting the barnes tipped in the rifle and getting .5 groups at a 100 yards at about 2700FPS. I have black bears with that load and they have all dropped in tracks. I have heard a lot that when shooting barnes bullets you can go down a few weights of bullets, because of the weight retention. I planned on useing it for moose/grizzly. Any one have any experience with the 250 patitons?
    250 partitions(federal premium).. I have used them for years. I bought a box of the nickle plated 250 grain 10 years ago, and have killed 8 moose with that box(superstitious with this box, I practice with other boxes).. I have 6 left from this box I will use up at the range.. typically when you pull the trigger with that round the moose disappears from the scope picture, and is on the ground.,,, well till this year..lol high lung, and it didn't go down.... two more rounds needed...sewww I bought three new boxes.. and am really interested in this X bullet.

250 partitions(federal premium).. I have used them for years. I bought a box of the nickle plated 250 grain 10 years ago, and have killed 8 moose with that box(superstitious with this box, I practice with other boxes).. I have 6 left from this box I will use up at the range.. typically when you pull the trigger with that round the moose disappears from the scope picture, and is on the ground.,,, well till this year..lol high lung, and it didn't go down.... two more rounds needed...sewww I bought three new boxes.. and am really interested in this X bullet.

The barnes bullets are no substitute for bullet weight. The overly long bullets eat up powder capacity. The barnes bullets don't always expand either. The barnes folks persuade you towards the lighter bullets due to excessive length. I have a 9.3mm 286 grain barnes set beside a nosler partition 286 grainer and the difference in length is astounding. I'd focus less on velocity and more on the fact that you'll shoot a bullet that has 40 grains more bullet weight. John Nosler was an amazing individual who created a bullet by which all others were judged, it's good to sometimes stick with an oldy......yah know? The 338-06 and 338-08 had been killing all sorts of Alaskan game with partitions before the x-bullets ever hit the market.

Yep them folks at nosler pretty smart especially when it comes to handloading, 375 and up caliber bullets only stuffing 25 bullets in each box and charging 30 bucks plus... **** can buy some swift a-frames for that don't get me wrong love partitions.