Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have any pictures of ram horns mounted on a plaque?

Default Anyone have any pictures of ram horns mounted on a plaque?

I am wanting to get all my ram horns mounted. These do not have the skulls, all been cut off so not european. Just wanting to see some pictures so can figure out how to do it this winter.

Not exactly cheap, but you could go this route. Spend a few hundred and mount the nicer ones.

http://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/EM41-P984C1621.aspx

You gotta love it when a guy says "all my ram horns".

Sheep are cool.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I've got a "few" sets of sheep horns in the shed! I've got two shoulder mounted and will add this years to the shoulder mount club since it is the best sheep I have ever seen in the field. The others will get mounted on plaques. I just have to see the right set up to do!

I have one done like this. DSCN0207.jpg
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

Hoyt thats a nice looking mount really like the dark wood and is that leather covering the skull plate and wrapped around the horn bases?

Thank you! It is white leather....both the skull plate and the horn wrapping. Under that is bondo. The OP mentioned that he didn't have the skull plates, but I think if you’re handy enough you could still make something like this. Fill the horn cavities with bondo, insert couple small metal rods. Once that hardens, make your "mound" type base, and insert the rods into that at the correct angle etc. I'm happy how this one turned out, but I did have a portion of the skull plate to work with, so that was easy. It was originally a shoulder mount gone bad.....long story. That taxi is no longer around (years ago), but let’s just say stench, rotten hide mounted, etc!!!!!
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

I just got this back today, the sheep was taken in 03 and friend of mine did the woodwork.

“Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Sorry guys, I guess I was not clear after reading Hoyt. I don't have the entire skulls for a euro mount, but the horns are all attached to the cut off skull. I've seen these mounted on plaques before and then have a piece sticking out from the plaque where the horns are attached to.

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    I just got this back today, the sheep was taken in 03 and friend of mine did the woodwork.

akgramps, pictures aren't showing up for me.

Hoyt sorry to hear about your mount issue but it looks like your ram came out good in the end!

AKgramps that is a very neat mount never seen one even close to that. Love the burl in the wood!

AKgramps...very cool!

Very neat guys!

Heres another way if you dare show your guns now daysAttachment 54191

My father did these for me years ago.

Well as the last pictures were a no show I wil try it again.Attachment 54255

Very gorgeous horn display Jeff...! Backtracker, still no show on the attachment?
    TR

Try this

Thanks guys! That is what I was looking for! Got all my rams horns on my garage floor! Now to get the wood! Thinking of black walnut or birds eye maple?? My uncle in Oregon has any type of wood I need. Will post a picture of the warthog skull I am mounting on a black walnut plaque.

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    Thanks guys! That is what I was looking for! Got all my rams horns on my garage floor! Now to get the wood! Thinking of black walnut or birds eye maple?? My uncle in Oregon has any type of wood I need. Will post a picture of the warthog skull I am mounting on a black walnut plaque.
    All yer Rams.........! JjeeeeeeezzzzzZ....I hope its not too hard to walk around.........LOL
    I selected some Alaska spalted birch for my 1 measley set of horns......another sigh.........!

Post a picture when you get em done. John
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    All yer Rams.........! JjeeeeeeezzzzzZ....I hope its not too hard to walk around.........LOL
    I selected some Alaska spalted birch for my 1 measley set of horns......another sigh.........!

Post a picture when you get em done. John
    When I am done will post you a picture! Now at least they are in the garage waiting for me to do something with them, rather then sitting gathering dust! Original plan was to have all of them shoulder mounted, but after selling capes, etc. realized that was never going to happen!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast