Thread: My first ruffed grouse!

Default My first ruffed grouse!

My first ruffed grouse is in the freezer, at work in Anchorage, even though I live in Palmer and killed the bird in Wasilla this morning. I think this is the earliest in the day that I've ever had meat down and it didn't even cost me a shell. I've been watching a grouse come sailing into a cover near our daycare facility. I didn't see it today as it was dark when we arrived but on my way out something caught my eye in the road. I was bummed to see a ruffed grouse laying in the road on the centerline but at least it wasn't smashed and I could grab the tail, use the wings for training, and possibly salvage a breast or two. I did a u-turn in the middle of the road and let a car pass before running out into the street. When I leaned over to pick the bird up, she lifted her head and I realized she wasn't dead yet. I would have given her the death squeeze but she was opened up on one side and so I chose a less messy means of euthanization since I was in my work clothes (office job, boo). Therefore, not roadkill, road-wounded.

I ride the bus for convenience, for the price, and to do a little something to help the earth. I didn't leave the house early enough to account for meat care so instead of getting on in Wasilla I drove to the Park and Ride by the hospital to buy myself 5 minutes. I was able to salvage both breasts and legs and get them wrapped in a grocery bag before the bus arrived. I'm not sure what the guy that drove past in the suit was thinking when he saw me standing on her wings and dismembering a bird in the parking lot. I didn't see him pull in or I would have had the tact to wait until he passed.

The meat was able to cool down and breathe a little on the way in by opening up the grocery bag and keeping the zipper on my briefcase open enough for some air flow. A slightly curious but more confused gal in the Conoco building lead me to some boys that hunt and we were able to sneak my "lunch" into a freezer during our two hour seminar. Who says big oil is all bad? I recovered my lunch and walked to work and look forward to preparing my first ruffed grouse in the not so distant future. It isn't the scenario I envisioned but it's quality meat and a training tool for the 4-legged Missy that is a little rough after not really getting hunted for almost two years.

I took a quick shot of the bird where it was processed. It was definitely dark out. It had a full, even fan. I'm pretty sure it's a red-phase bird so looks like the gray-phase still has the advantage.

IMG_3718.jpg
    Go Big Red!

Well done sir!

While I am certain you would have rather shot that bird on a valley hillside over your dog, it must be sweet nonetheless.
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Cool! Good use of a fine bird.

So here I am some years back on my drive home from a full day of ruffed grouse hunting. High point in the cycle and the dogs got me quite a few ruffs that day. Coming up behind a motor home that is coming to stop along the highway for a flagman. Actually it was a flag woman, but I digress. The motorhome made a quick jig to the left and stopped abruptly and a nice ruffed grouse fell to the pavement and lie fluttering atop the double yellow line. The flag gal seemed stunned like the grouse, but she would recover, unlike the grouse. No one made any moves toward the grouse so I put the truck in park and when up to retrieve the grouse.I smiled at the flag gal, saluted the motorhome driver, picked up the grouse, smoothed it's gorgeous feathers, and walked back to my truck where I placed the bird in the truck with the others on their way to my freezer. Worked for me!

Jim

Awesome...you are now my idol. I am not worthy....rep your way!
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Gives a whole new meaning to "road hunting".

During the fall of my first year of college I was bummed because I had a test early in the morning on opening day of dove season...but the wingshooting gods threw me a bone, or in this case a dove...into the grill of my truck. Not really the start of the season i was looking for, but I got a kick out of the timing of it all.

I never hit any birds worth eating! 2 tweety birds and a gull have all committed suicide on my rig this year but not a single grouse or ptarmigan!

My drift boat is a grouse magnet. Numerous times every year while traveling down various dirt roads, a grouse will fly right into the side of my drift boat behind my truck. I think I'm up to 5 grouse this year.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Nicely spotted, Hawkeye!

2 years ago I got an email late on a Friday afternoon from my girlfriend saying there was a dead bird in our driveway and "it looks like a grouse." I drove home and sure enough there was a dandy ruffed grouse dead in the driveway, still warm. House is on Govnt Hill, and I suspect it flushed from the green belt, hit a window and dropped down onto the the driveway. Why it was a mere half mile from downtown Anchorage I don't know. Perhaps strayed from EAB or Pt MacKenze. Ironically, I was on my way to the interior to the next morning to hunt grouse. My girlfriend had a great departing line "don't get outhunted by the house."