Thread: Hot Rod Muffler

Default Hot Rod Muffler

Anyone using one? Care to comment on how it differs from stock?

I don't have any experience operating with one but I put a leading edge exhaust on a 206 a couple of years ago. The aircraft operates on 26" goodyears going from MRI to his private strip about 20 minutes away. His strip is really nice, 3000' grass, smooth, well maintained. He flys to and from about 2-3 times a week in the summer and after every snow fall in the winter (he keeps his strip plowed).
    About 3 months after the install he was back in the shop with a nice crack in one of the tubes in a large bend. Atlee welded it up. Couple months later same thing, different tube. Continued like that till we put the old exhaust back on at the next annual.

My mechanic talked me out of a LEE and into a Hot Rod. I'll be absent for a few days and when I return I'll have the Hot Rod on. I'm looking forward to trying it. I'll provide a pirep after I fly it.

Hot Rod muffler? Two very enthusiastic thumbs up. Improved performance. Best of all my CHTs are down 35-40*. Now I can lean the way I'm supposed to. Atlee's told me the RPMs would go up a little, CHT and oil temps down, and rate of climb would improve noticeably. They were spot on. Noise is up a little, cabin heat seems to be down just a little but in my case that's not a problem. Good Cub mod.

Thanks for the pirep. The muffler has no use to me as I fly a 170, but you said you would fly it and then give us your opinion on its performance afterwards, and you delivered! Is there a way to get your cabin heat back up if indeed it lost some? No AD?

The cabin heat thing is hard to quantify because I never thought to check the output temps before or after. I get the same volume of warm air now but it seems to be less hot. In truth that doesn't bother me. I could barely open the floor heat before without getting hot feet and I've been concerned about the defrost outlet temp, too. Now the air temp is tolerable. On the AD? I believe the Hot Rod is exempt from the standard Cub muffler AD. Alternate means of compliance or some such term. In practice? I expect my mechanic to inspect my muffler at annual time so the AD never concerned me. Regular muffler inspection seems like common sense for us northern weather pilots who use cabin heat regularly. As far as baffles coming apart and blocking the muffler? The Hot Rod has no baffles. It's an open unrestricted collector chamber with a 3" outlet pipe. (I think it's 3")

Anyone ever tried a gutted muffler on a Cessna? Unofficially, of course? I know guys ran them on Cubs for a long time before the Hot Rod was an approved alternative. Somebody must have tried it on a big Continental, too. Any info out there?

Along that same note, is there info on a gutted hot rod type muffler for the Avcon 0-360 in a C-170? Or is the Elano muffler the gutted version?

Call the guys at Sutton. They said its a Scout muffler (O-360) without a core.
    Second option is to have somebody open up your muffler and take the core out. Probably cheaper. Of course, approval basis is up to your mechanic and you.

I put one on and didn't really notice any difference other than it's a little louder. I like not dealing with the AD.