Thread: Bearcat 550 idle

Default Bearcat 550 idle

A friend just bought a new Bearcat 550. The thing idles a bit low. Is there a way to adjust the idle w/o adjusting each carb? Dealer is 350 miles away.

Thanks guys!

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    A friend just bought a new Bearcat 550. The thing idles a bit low. Is there a way to adjust the idle w/o adjusting each carb? Dealer is 350 miles away.

Thanks guys!

Most snow-gos with twin carbs have the throttle cable terminate into one throttle arm and the second carb is slaved off that arm. There's usually an idle speed screw on the support bracket where the throttle cable engages the throttle arm. That screw usually is intended to adjustable with fingers alone, no tools necessary. That said, I'm not a Cat guy. It certainly works that way on the other three brands that I've owned.

Default Thanks

Thanks for the information! Should be easy to do. I like the adjustment on my Scandic better. One tough machine. Took down a 4" spruce yesterday without a whimper. Right now a friend has it out buffalo hunting.

If they are round slides (VM) carbs He will more than likely have to adjust each one separately. Look on the right side of each carb there should be a brass like knob (screw) it raises and lowers the slide. With the machine running, reach down and turn each one in (to increase idle) equal amounts in small increments until desired idle speed is reached. This should get him by until the end of the season, then he can have someone help him fine tune (synchronize) it.
    If they are flat side carbs they are on a rack system and the idle is adjusted with one screw as stated above by Mr. Pid.

Default Dave

It sounds like you ride the same trails I do. All trees are called brush until you have to back up and get another run at it. Then you have to say the brush got a little thick.
    If you havent rode the Expedition TUV give it a try. All the guts and strengths of the skandic plus a better ride and more room.

Quote Originally Posted by fishlakehome View Post
    It sounds like you ride the same trails I do.
    Trail? Whats a trail? ;D

A trail is what is behind me after I have driven over it.

Default Great trip

A couple of years ago three of us made it into Grayling Lake valley from Manker. This was after another group had tried the previous weekend. We each got stuck in willow stands about four times each, then we got to a small clearing surrounded by spruce. We spent about 30 minutes trying to find away through. I finally had to get off and walk into the spruce stand about 1/4 of a mile to find a way through. It only required cutting through one laydown and wedging the skis through spots that you wouldnt think was possible.
    We love exploring new country and trying to getting to places you dont think you can.
    Still havent heard of any one else making it in there.