Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 38

Thread: Remote property insurance - Need help!

  1. #1
    Premium Member denalihunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    67 mi E of Cantwell, 68 mi W of Paxson
    Posts
    1,555

    Default Remote property insurance - Need help!

    Well, was notified by my insurance company that they are dropping me from thier insurance. I guess sending them $800 per month for 3.5 years wasn't good enough. I've never had any claim with them. I spent considerable time finding someone that would insure us since we are 65 miles from a fire station.

    So, now I'm in a bind. I'm required to have insurance to satisfy the loan carried through a title company. At the minimum fire insurance. But also need liability and commercial insurance.

    Do any of you have any insight into which companies I can call to get this coverage?

    I would appreciate any help you or suggestions you might have.

    Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

  2. #2
    Member akfirefighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    231

    Default

    Who did you have? I would look into Country Financial or AlaskaUSA. When I was looking into remote insurance they both will write a policy for coverage in without fire service.

  3. #3
    Moderator bkmail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer, AK.
    Posts
    4,112

    Default

    I'd like to see who insures remote structures. Allstate won't touch ours w/out a road to it. Of course it's remote.
    Complete B.S.!
    BK

  4. #4
    Premium Member denalihunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    67 mi E of Cantwell, 68 mi W of Paxson
    Posts
    1,555

    Default

    akfirefighter, Country is the one dumping me. I will check with Alaska USA, though. Thanks!

    I hear ya BK. It's nearly impossible to find someone, and for me it's a condition of purchase, so that makes it even tougher. I couldn't even find anyone to even provide me a quote.

    But the clock is ticking now...
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

  5. #5
    Member greythorn3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chasin the ladys! away!
    Posts
    2,507

    Default

    insurance companys are such a buncha scammers, if they were optional i would disagree, but your required to have insurance on a car anyhow. so its like they can do whatever they want unless you wanna drive illegal.
    Semper Fi!

  6. #6
    Premium Member denalihunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    67 mi E of Cantwell, 68 mi W of Paxson
    Posts
    1,555

    Default

    I hear ya greythorn. Not much we can do about it. Lawyers are the root of the cost and requirement.
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

  7. #7
    Member Laker Taker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    433

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post
    Country is the one dumping me.
    Did you file too many claims or something? Normally they are very good. I have everything that I own insured through them, remote property included.

  8. #8
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Laker Taker View Post
    Did you file too many claims or something? Normally they are very good. I have everything that I own insured through them, remote property included.
    Opening post states he never had a claim.

    May be able to get ahead in the long run if you can build some sort of automatic suppression system into the place next year though I don't know what the cost would be. I imagine it would be substantial.... Hopefully you can get someone to step up and provide appropriate coverage!

  9. #9

    Default

    I have heard of lenders putting their own insurance on places they previously allowed themselves to be caught up in. I would not worry with it and just let the lender put a policy on the loan. Suggest you contact your lender and see if this is a possibility...it likely ain't their first rodeo with this type of thing.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  10. #10
    Member Laker Taker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    433

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Opening post states he never had a claim.

    May be able to get ahead in the long run if you can build some sort of automatic suppression system into the place next year though I don't know what the cost would be. I imagine it would be substantial.... Hopefully you can get someone to step up and provide appropriate coverage!
    Missed that....

  11. #11
    Member logman 49's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Just South of Moose Pass
    Posts
    353

    Default

    Have you tried Umailik?

  12. #12
    Premium Member denalihunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    67 mi E of Cantwell, 68 mi W of Paxson
    Posts
    1,555

    Default

    THanks for all the great idea's! I'm working them now, but no luck yet. Someone must be insuring all these lodges in Alaska!
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

  13. #13
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    Might just be time to cold call some of the remote lodges. Probably be best to choose some that are non competitive with your operation. Perhaps Zachar Bay lodge down on Kodiak for instance.

  14. #14
    Member akfirefighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    231

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by logman 49 View Post
    Have you tried Umailik?
    This is the company that AlaskaUSA uses. I couldnt think of their name, but they do coverage on remote properties here in AK.

  15. #15

    Default

    Lords of London are supposed to insure the uninsurable.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  16. #16
    Member AKFishOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Eagle River (Home!)
    Posts
    1,285

    Default

    Try StateFarm it has worked for others but they normally want a bunch of pictures.

  17. #17
    Member AKDoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Talkeetna
    Posts
    5,714

    Default

    State farm wouldn't touch my place and I'm on the friggin' road system 5 miles from a fire station. Umailik (or however you spell it) is my provider and it was written through Integra Insurance in Wasilla. I have no clue if they do commercial coverage. Claude, I would imagine that you are going to need commercial coverage and that's a whole 'nother ball of wax. My insurance for my business is Sparta.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

  18. #18
    Member Music Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    ANC
    Posts
    1,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Lords of London are supposed to insure the uninsurable.
    www.lloyds.com It is spelled Lloyds.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

  19. #19
    Member KelvinG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Talkeetna, AK
    Posts
    387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by logman 49 View Post
    Have you tried Umailik?
    That's who we use. Nice bunch of people. I've never made a claim, so I can't say much about that but just from my dealings with them I don't expect it to be an issue.

  20. #20
    Premium Member denalihunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    67 mi E of Cantwell, 68 mi W of Paxson
    Posts
    1,555

    Default

    Thanks again for all the suggestions. I think I have 40 companies working this, but I still have not received anyone with even an offer. We are hopeful by the end of the day, or early Monday we'll be close. Some are sounding promising. I'm scared to see the price.... but gotta do it either way.
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •