Thread: Shipping meat from Galena to Anchorage

Default Shipping meat from Galena to Anchorage

If you are doing a boat (moose) hunt on the Yukon what is involved with shipping the meat from Galena to Anchorage? Costs? How do you get the meat from the river to the airport?
    Do they freeze the meat and keep it frozen until you pick it up?

Thanks
    Tennessee

I was in Galena last year and we pulled the boat up to the gas pump and the guy who attends the pump has a beater pick up truck that anyone can rent for $20. Load your meat and gear in the truck and run it up to Everts where they will shrink wrap it up. With the meat you will want to have a tarp to place on the pallet so no blood drips. Everts flies from Galena to Anchorage on Tues and Fri, but some weeks I have seen it become Weds and Sat, so it can be hit or miss. I dont recall if they have a freezer in Galena, I'd like to say they don't, but I'm not possitive.

I have had several of my guys who are shipping meat/antlers back to the lower 48 use Everts and it's a pretty good service. The backhaul rate to ship meat/gear is about .33 cents/pound, depending on the fuel surcharge. Once the meat is in Anchorage they do place in in the freezer - if they have room.

So from the river to Anchorage, it's cheap and easy to get your meat and gear flown.

We shipped a couple of moose out of galena this year. It coat us about $400 to ship 2 moose. They do not have a freezer or cooler in galena. I was glad that we dropped our moose off the same day that it was thrown on the plane as some of the pallets of meat that were sitting outside had flys all over it and the birds were tearing the plastic wrap up. It would have made me very upset to work that hard for a moose only to have it ruined while waiting for the ride back to anchorage.