Thread: Rokons?

Default Rokons?

I was eyeing a Rokon some time back and thought it was interesting and simple. With the single-track trailer it looks like a couple of these rigs could haul a reasonable amount of stuff. There's something to be said about simplicity.

Anyone have experience with a Rokon?

I had one this summer. For the most part I really liked it. It went anywhere I could hang on. I was driving through stuff that would have been a nightmare to walk through. But it is a handfull to drive, especially when your in the tight stuff and going over obstacles. I dont think you could do much with it off trail wise if it was loaded down. Also its slow and UNCOMFORTABLE to drive. Mine was a 2 stroke and it was loud! The main thing it does not do good at is water crossing. The carb sits pretty low on the chassis, plus its lightweight and large tires make it unrully in the current.

It is simple and easy to work on.

My take on it was its a good scouting rig and might be okay for a lightweight overnight adventure rig. I put all thoughts out of my head with hauling a trailer with it after I rode it for awhile. Anywhere I would use it with a trailer I might as well use a wheeler.

Lastly the owner of Rokon is a complete jerk. and 99% of the time its him who answers the phone. but you really dont need to buy much from him as most of the parts are 1/3 the cost if you know what part numbers to get from napa and the hardwar store.

Its deffinetly not worth the 7500 dollar price tag if your an average joe. You can do far more with a wheeler than the rokon. But the one thing you can do that would be a huge advantage is putting on one a riverboat and using it to scout the other sides of rivers that atvs cant get to.

Bad. Just Bad. They are the ultimate niche market product but I couldn't figure out what it was.

You'll get a lot more bike for less cash with a Yamaha TW200 and it'll go anywhere you can ride a Rokon with the added bonus of street legal.

The 2WD aspect at first seems pretty cool but its a limited application because if the going gets so rough your fat tired TW200 won't go you likely can't hang onto a Rokon for very long either. Heck, I can take a TW places my Can Am won't go already, I just can't carry much of a load.

We had a couple of the Briggs and Stratton powered ones and they were total POS in the engine department- lots of issues with the starter and electrical systems.

I have a older one (70's), havent used it much but thought it opened up some possibilities hauling easily in a boat as Matt said.
    They are rough riding, and the owner is a jerk, there are used ones around, The newer ones are better, they will go through some amazing stuff, inclines and tremendous dragging towing hauling ability, not as comfortable as a wheeler but will go more places. I have a proclivity towards two wheelers anyhow, Rokons are lighter, ez on fuel, can haul fuel or water in the wheels (if so equiped).........but they are a niche machine ....and you should try one out before you lay down your cash............
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Default Rokon sighting

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Anyone have experience with a Rokon?
    I've never ridden one, but I ran across one afield 2 or 3 years ago; I was 8 - 10 miles back on some medium-hard terrain that had some not-so-hard creek crossings. I was shocked when I saw it was a Rokon (not an ATV) with a guy driving, his wife on the back, and pulling a mostly empty meat-trailer containing a large dog. All 3 of them (and the Rokon) sounded pretty happy. They said they were sheep hunting. I was impressed.

owned a few of them if you want to go where others CAN'T they are the ticket if you are agile, if not stay on 4 wheels. The old ones with the albion tranny and 7 horse 2 stroke are hard to locate parts clutches hardest. The newer 80's are easy to locate aftermarket parts as long as you don't get a converted one. And the new ones with the honda motors would be the absolute cats meow
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Growing up we used them in MT and they could go places no 4 wheeler (which at that time was a 3 three wheeler) could ever go. They would go up switch back trails that hardy horses could only go on but we were on fishing trips primarily and there was not a lot of heavy nor bulky gear to carry. I think they would be great to have for the special trip but if I was left with choosing it or a 4 wheeler I would get the wheeler. There is better suspension in them now but we use to get beat down riding them.

Used them in the 70's and no doubt they will go places an ATV can not. Ride rough, very rough. Never tried dragging anything behind it but very difficult to carry a load on it. Even if carrying the weight in a back pack it would tend to make the rig top heavy and easy to tip.
    Tennessee

Oh and I forgot to add sidehilling is something else you can do with these that is a great advantage. they are pretty cool. Now Im starting to miss mine. I sold mine thinking I was going to get a tw200 next summer and try it out. Everywhere I went and want to go, I think I could do it just the same on a more comfortable,affordable,faster and queit tw200. But we will see I guess

Not the same as a 2 wheel drive Rokon but anyone remember the fat cat bikes, once in MT we were hunting Elk in late season and we had about a 1 and 1/2 walk through a foot of powder with drifts to get to the hunting area, after harvesting a nice cow the land owner who welcomed us shooting one of the Elk that was eating his hay stacks drove up in his fat cat and pulled the mid sized cow back to the truck as my friend and dredged through the snow back to the truck. They were also a niche bike that rode better and was a lot lighter than a Rokon expect the stopped making them and now if you can find them they are expensive.

+1 on the TW200.

I have a 91 TW200 with the kick start and electric start and it will take me anywhere (except deep mud) that I care to go. It also is tagged and can run on the road if I want. It will not go where a Rokon will but then it does pretty well.

If it was a little lighter it could go into a canoe or jon boat and really extend the use to places accessable by boat. My wife says I'm stupid but I've thought of mounting my receiver hitch carrier from my truck on a side by side to haul the bike way off road and explore on it an leave the big machine in camp....I think it is a great idea.

I have been looking for a cheap Rokon for a couple years but I guess when it comes right down to it....the TW will pretty much do what I need.

Rokon = Roughest most exhausting outfit I have ever attempted, period.

Quote Originally Posted by 68 Bronco View Post
    Rokon = Roughest most exhausting outfit I have ever attempted, period.
    Guess some of us have got it and some don't, I can ride a bucking horse too
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by ironartist View Post
    Guess some of us have got it and some don't, I can ride a bucking horse too
    Done my share of riding critters, tractors, Spanish dirt bikes, etc. You can have all the Rokons, IMO - plus I am not at all concerned whether or not I 'have got it', or not, at my age - impertinent.
    I guess you could say I 'have had it'.

I did read down below that the suspensions were upgraded at some point .................

I have two of the two-stroke Rokons. One has an upgraded hemi engine that has significantly more power. Most of the above info is true. They ride rough (no suspension except soft tires) and the two-strokes are loud. Most have a top speed of about 20mph, which is faster than you want to go when the going gets rough. The hemi will go 35 on a flat trail, but it still won't keep up with most 4 wheelers. However flat trail is not what they are made for. When the trail gets tough or disappears, the Rokon will leave the 4 wheelers behind.
    I like mine because I can carry it on a hitch hauler, so I don't need a trailer. It is also light enough to pick up. I have never been stuck on one, but if it came down to it you could simply lift it out of the mire. They will carry anything you can put on them, but it can be tough to keep them upright with a heavy load. I have known guys who have hauled moose on a trailer behind a Rokon and guys who have hauled elk strapped to the top of a Rokon. Having to use a trailer for hauling is a disadvantage. Being able to carry a passenger and sidehill is an advantage.
    However for most people a 4 wheeler is better. The 4 wheelers are faster, quieter, easier to ride and go anywhere most people want to go. I think the majority of 4x4 riders never leave the road or a good trail anyway. If you want to get into really rough terrain and are willing to get a workout every time you ride one, then a Rokon might work out for you.
    You can get more information at Rokon World http://www.rokonworld.com/
    Patrick