Thread: Remington stock question....

Default Remington stock question....

Anyone know if there are any other stocks that will fit a Remington 721? I'd like to go synthetic, but I'm having a hard time finding anything made for the 721. How much difference is there between the 700 and 721? Could a 700 stock be modified to fit? Do I have any other options?

Thanks in advance.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

You need to do a little trimming in the safety area, redo the bolt handle cutout on some stocks, and either convert to ADL or get a 700 BDL bottom metal and mag box. The top end is virtually identical, but that stamped bottom metal on a 721 is a dealbreaker for many custom stocks without some serious work. Just go ADL, rifle will be functionally identical to the way it was, and you won't have peel any cabbage for new bottom metal aside from a 10$ triggerguard.

My 721 sits in a 700 Classic stock with BDL bottom metal/mag box. I bought it all for about $75 from a gunsmith who had them sitting in his "used" stack. A buddy used a factory take-off ADL stock for even less.

The Kid pretty much covered it. You have to open up the safety slot a touch, and on some stocks you might have to open up the bolt notch a smidgen. The knot for the rear sight will also need to be inlet into the new stock. Otherwise, it's bolt up and go.

Yk

Thanks for the help guys. Time to go shopping... I love the look of a traditional wood stock, but I'm getting tired of re-finishing it to keep it looking decent. My gun takes a lot of abuse.
    AKmud

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Order an ADL Bansner, be a good winter project and you won't find a better handle. Fairly cheap too if you don't bill yourself for your time, or you can bring it by and I'll fix you up I like 721s, what cal is yours?

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Order an ADL Bansner, be a good winter project and you won't find a better handle. Fairly cheap too if you don't bill yourself for your time, or you can bring it by and I'll fix you up I like 721s, what cal is yours?
    Thanks for the offer, I may take you up on it!

Mine is a 30.06 that my dad gave to me back in '86. He got it from his boy scout leader back in the 60's so it has seen some use. I really like the gun and it has killed every critter I have shot at to this point. Time for a face lift though I think....

I took it apart last night and started sanding on the stock. My plan is to re-blue it as well. Never tried it before, but how hard can it be.
    AKmud

I got a factory ADL stock you can have if that helps you any..

Im on the slope now but will be home in a week.

Thanks for the offer armst, I have a friend at work bringing one in on Monday for me for the same price. Hopefully I'll get something to work. The gun is going to be re-blued as well so this little project may take me a while to complete.
    AKmud

Hey AKMud...have you seen this http://www.remington.com/pages/news-...1-and-722.aspx

My dad gave me a 721 he purchased in 1953. I called Remington, they emailed a RMA to me. I am not an FFL...all I did was take the boxed rifle to a UPS service center and shipped it direct to the NY factory. In a week I received an estimate...$37 to tear down, clean, modify the action & stock, install an entire new trigger/safety assy, and test fire. Most of the $37 goes for return shipping to you. All in all it took a month from shipment until the UPS guy brought it to my door. They did a very good job...and actually drilled & tapped a 2nd hole so I could go from a 1 pc to 2 pc scope bases like the 700...something I didn't even ask for. Great experience...I now have a 721 that I can operate the bolt with the safety in the "SAFE" position.

Thanks for the info GP. I'll have to give them a call and get my trigger done as well.

I have the action fitted to the new stock, but I need a 700 series floor plate/trigger guard. Just not wanting to let go of the $$ quite yet....
    AKmud