Thread: What time do squirrels go to bed?

Default What time do squirrels go to bed?

So it seems word has gotten out to the local squirrels that I finally got my .17hmr sighted in , in two trips walking the dog I haven't seen a single squirrel and I swear I was seeing 5 a walk before!

On a more serious note, i've been going out after work the last couple nights and it appears to me squirrels just aren't all that active in the evening, any thoughts?

On another note the two rabbits I saw last night were about 1/3 white so its about that time!

Have you tried a squirrel call? I have one somewhere and it works good. I mainly bought it on a whim as I really don't eat squirrel.
    The one I have has a rubber deal on the back that you push down to sound like a squirrel. I use one hand and rapidly push it down on the back of the other hand.
    It may not call them in but they are territorial and will respond to the stranger on their turf allowing you to find them.
    I bought mine from Minnesota trapline supply but it may be available locally.
    http://www.minntrapprod.com/
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

they party all night and sleep all day
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

What time do squirrels go to bed?

The young ones need to be in bed by 7:45 PM, the adults are in bed (Making Baby squirrels) by 8:30 PM. Those squirrels out after dark are owl poop by 9:00 AM

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Have you tried a squirrel call? I have one somewhere and it works good. I mainly bought it on a whim as I really don't eat squirrel.
    The one I have has a rubber deal on the back that you push down to sound like a squirrel. I use one hand and rapidly push it down on the back of the other hand.
    It may not call them in but they are territorial and will respond to the stranger on their turf allowing you to find them.
    I bought mine from Minnesota trapline supply but it may be available locally.
    http://www.minntrapprod.com/
    Awesome, really appreciate that tip. My girlfriend shot one the other day and I ate it and really liked it. I also did a pretty good job of skinning it so i'd like to get a few more and try tanning them, might try and make a hat or something. Seems like now that I'm looking for some I can't find them!

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post

The young ones need to be in bed by 7:45 PM, the adults are in bed (Making Baby squirrels) by 8:30 PM. Those squirrels out after dark are owl poop by 9:00 AM
    Now is that only the case in Sunset or Hope too?

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post

Now that is funny! I don't care who you are! I laughed out loud! Thanks! Needed that...

As for squirrels -- I see them every single time I go out no matter time of day -- though I am definitely out in the afternoons more often as of late. My faithful bird dog is a part-time squirrel dog it seems. Though I have tried to convince him otherwise he still picks them out every trip with some regularity. Usually there are some tell-tell signs under their trees of choice -- disassembled cones and the like.

good luck.

After they wash there nuts.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by kylemac View Post
    Now that is funny! I don't care who you are! I laughed out loud! Thanks! Needed that...

As for squirrels -- I see them every single time I go out no matter time of day -- though I am definitely out in the afternoons more often as of late. My faithful bird dog is a part-time squirrel dog it seems. Though I have tried to convince him otherwise he still picks them out every trip with some regularity. Usually there are some tell-tell signs under their trees of choice -- disassembled cones and the like.

good luck.
    Thanks for the input, I take my dog hunting too but he's a doberman and a fairly poor excuse for a hunting dog! He is learning not to chase everything that moves but its taken a year! He has tried to climb trees to get to squirrels but that was before I had my .17 in order. He has managed to flush a couple grouse and some rabbits although I think its mostly accidental.

He really goes along to be an alarm and noisemaker, he barks like mad when he sees moose, haven't had him around a bear yet. I go with him to get him excercise more than anything which he thoroughly enjoys.

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    After they wash there nuts.
    Ha ha ha... I knew this thread could be comical but this is getting good!