Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats a good day?

Default Whats a good day?

What do you consider a good day of fishing?
    Catching fish?
    Numbers?
    Size?
    Hanging with buddies?
    Helping family or friend catch one?

My elements of a good day

The "possibility" of catching a fish.

Hooking into a fish that is burning hot on the line.

Catching fish I have never caught before -- caught multiple "long nosed gar" in the lower Chargin river in Ohio while in school on a piece of nylon rope -- no hook. Also, managed to get several large gizzard shads to bite.

Quitely letting a big fish go.

Collecting others gear off the bottom, snags, and in log jams, then repairing it or sometimes discovering new rigs for fishing.

Being away from everone else and enjoying the animals along the river -- hawks, eagles, squirrels, ducks, ravens, sea gulls, moose, and various song birds.

Any day everyone comes home safely is a good day on the water. Lucky and happy to still have both of my little fishing buddies.

catching, and eating fish at the campfire. duh.

im just playing, the catching part always brings me back. as does the tromping around outdoors next to a river.

I like to catch fish when I go fishing, or at least hook fish, or even see fish. I like to be with my friends and watch the river change. Basically any day is a good day
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I prefer to make sure whoever I take catches fish, especially my daughter. She outfishes me most days. I couldn't ask for anything better.

fishing and catching is always good. Fishing amongst a few good strangers during the day that become friends around the evening fire is the best part. Of course, a spooker of R & R and a good cigar doesnt hurt making friends either!

I would add the following to the above; Personally I love fishing new areas and new species when I was traveling with my wife we always tried to catch some of the salmonoids found only in that area(Example california golden trout in california) Here in Alaska nothing getts my hart pounding like first fish on a new stream. As a younger man I would take climbing equipment on fishing trips so I could reach new teritory now a new hike in spot is enough. And I spend most of my winter evenings pooring over maps and looking for new possibilitys.

What do you consider a good day of fishing?
    Catching fish?
    Numbers?
    Size?
    Hanging with buddies?
    Helping family or friend catch one?

Hanging with buddies
    Good weather
    Catching fish some times
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Ak days...

Any day in Alaska is a good day.
    Any day it doesn't rain in Alaska is a great day.
    Any day the sun comes out in Alaska is an outstanding day.

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Charterboat Operator

ANY day spent afield be it water or land ,catching or not,killing or not,certainly beats a day at the office!! treasure them!!

my wife and i both fly for a living. her with continental and myself with the air national guard. Being on the water fishing, sightseeing etc. is more fun to me.

All of it. It's good just getting out; better getting out with good folks; even better getting out with good folks in good weather; Coming home in one piece with most of the equipment still intact is kinda nice, too (or so I've heard--rarely happens for me). Fish? We're supposed to CATCH fish? I guess that would be nice on occasion, too. I've heard they can be tasty.

I like catching fish, hanging with fun people, taking in the scerenity, feeling the heat of the sun, sun rises/ sets, learning new ways to fish, out fishing my brother (he catches alot of fish), I really like cleaning fish, I enjoy the whole thing . A bad day of fishing, is one that winds up costing more than it was expected to (taxidermy excluded), being scared for my safety or those around me, or any other situation you pray to be at home/ work.

Helpin' a young 'un catch his or her first fish is one the best things I have ever done....even in the rain.

Default Any day I can go

Any day I get to be outdoors is a good day. The smell of the salt, the beauty of the surroundings, the companions, either people I know or new friends I meet, the excitement of "what if" the anticipation of sending your first offering into the water and finally, if I'm lucky, the take.

Default Any & All Days

Anytime I am blessed with the opportunity to fish is a good day. Growing up Fishing was treat for my family due to not living close to any fishable water, so the once a month trip was extra special. These days its more like three or four days a week, on a slow week (lol) , but no less special. There is no better feeling IMO than being on or by the water. Heaven on earth.

C.F.

Default A good day

Any day in Alaska beats the alternative (a day anywhere else).

Thumbs up what Waller says:

I am just about finished reading Lani Waller's book "River of Dreams", which I highly recommend and take the liberty here of quoting, page 176:

"At that moment I guess some of it came to me: What I love most about all of this isn't really the fish I catch or don't catch; it's the joy of being turned inside out in a place that is still connected to the earth as it has always been - and suddenly I am there, too, back where it all started, at the root of things, alive and free and perfect. Who wouldn't love that? It's a grand feeling"

Lani has fished his whole life on some of the very finest waters and settings, both fresh and salt water all over the world. He has "done it all" as they say and landed so many huge steelhead the numbers (quantity, size, weight, etc.) long ago stopped having much meaning.

Alaska is all of what he says and does it for me!
    (I'm still laughing that my last post I started was about gefilte fish)(I guess I'm into extremes)

Just being out ont he water with my family makes it a great day. If we catch something thats just extra.

Whats a good day?

Oh hell that's easy...Two parts, first you wake up and realise you're still above ground and second you get to go fishing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast