Thread: Airboaters, do you wanna do a "rescue"?

Default Airboaters, do you wanna do a "rescue"?

I got a call from Bud. He has run into some minor mechanical issue with his airboat. He seems to have fixed the issue but in the process of doing a field repair he's now on a sandbar 100 yards from open water in Cook Inlet between the Knik River bridge and Coffee Point. He's safe and he's got food and drink, but he figures that he'll be there until the tide comes in this evening.

He's not sure how well or how long his repair will last. He hopes he can get back to the Knik River ramp, but he's not sure.

If you have a powerful airboat and are willing to tow Bud's little airboat out to open water he'd love the assistance.

If your boat is not powerful enough to drag his across the sandbar he would like someone to accompany him back to the ramp this evening.

Call Bud on his cell phone if you can help. 240-4090

Dammit....I owe this man a favor and have the ability but I am on the slope!!!
    He's a good man in a jam....hope someone helps him soon.
    BK

I gave Bud a call out there, dont have an airboat but told him I'd give him a call tonight, and run along with him while he's limping his boat out.

I phoned another friend in the valley that has a capable boat and left a message with Bud's cell #, not sure if he's at work though also. Frustrating when you can't do anything to assist.
    BK

wish I had a boat that could do it hope someone comes through. Once I had to set out there thought I was going for just a short ride turned out be very long day

Wish I Could Help But To Far Away

No problem, got it taken care of. Beautiful afternoon to sit on the flats and relax (not one duck flew over me). Alternator bracket bolts broke, it fell of, belt not turning water pump, I smelled it, turned around and got a face full of steam, as I turned off the fuel pump and glided over to the nearest sand bar. By the time I got it figured out, tide had left me high and dry, that was only a few minutes. I used four bungie cords, 4 ft of anchor line, and a paint roller extension tube I happed to have in the boat and made my own alternator bracket. (ill try and post photo in the next day or 2). I was really worried it would fall apart on my way back, waiting for incoming tide not a big probemk it lifted me off about 7 pm, still light even. Alternator belt stayed in place great for the 15 min ride back to the launch, home by 8 pm. Thanks all.

Biggest concern when it happened was the temp gage was pegged at 250+, however it seems fine, no water in oil, did not overheat on the way back, good oil pressure. Got lucky on that one. Bud
    Wasilla

Glad you got it together before being swelled out to bigger water.

Sometimes it pays to be a badass MacGuyver. I once used stretched the spring in a mechanic pen and used it as a throttle return spring. Worked so well I left it for 6 months.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Good to hear you made it back safe.

Nice job McGyver Bud!
    Glad you made it back safely.
    BK

Thought I'd post these pics. Basicly all it took was the bungies and rope to pull against the alternator on the belt and tighten enough pressure for the alternator to spin and turn the water pump. Broken connection wires on the alternator were not hooked up at the time. Kinda balanced the pulling from forward to rear end of alternator to keep it somewhat straight. I was really surprised at how well it held together to get me back to the launch. I had expected it to loosen and fall off on the way back. I put the aluminum tube in to help hold alternator in place while I was getting it all tightened up and pulled, it could have been removed after I had it set up. Bud

IMG_1083.jpgIMG_1082.JPG
    Wasilla

Bungees and duct tape.....two items you don't wanna leave home without!

BK

A pair of panty hose makes the very best impromptu v-belt one could hope for...wrap it tight around the pulleys and tie a knot...could have used a pair in this instance and simply by-passed the alternator entirely and taken it off to keep it out of harms way. There are some commercially available linkable emergency v-belts out there, but none work as well as panty hose.
    Don't ask me how I know this...
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Never have a woman around when I need one, take them panty hose off. Bud
    Wasilla