Thread: scope & bullet help

Default scope & bullet help

hello, I have a remington model700 sps dm in 30-06

first off what would be a good scope to put on for the country up here?

what loads would be a good match for this gun ( caribou,blackbear,sheep,deer)

You're going to get a lot of different responses to this question but here's the short version of my opinion.

Scope fixed 4x or 6x- I've shot a lot of critters with those two magnifications and on the occasions I've used a variable it was set somewhere between 4 and 6x. If you simply have to have a variable a 2-8x or 3-9x at most. No huge objectives- we basically hunt in daylight up here- keep the mounts as low as you can.

Ammunition- a lot of research has gone into .30-06 ammunition and with the '06s mild velocity nearly any conventional bullet will work fine. Find one your rifle likes and shoot enough of them to get proficient at shooting. In that cartridge I've had good results with Corelokts, Power points, Hot Cors, Ballistic Tips, Partitions, etc.

No need for TSX or other super tough bonded bullets in that cartridge but 180 gr Nosler Partions are a good hedge bet.

There are almost limitless options, but for a good all around scope and mount system it's tough to do better than a 3-9X40 VX-I (or used Vari-X II) by Leupold. Should be able to find one in the 200-220$ range and Talley's lightweight rings are about the most secure least expensive (30-45$) option available in mounts.

It's hard to go wrong with factory ammo in the '06. For the animals you suggest, I'd look at a 165 grain loading from Remington, Winchester or Federal and call it good.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

If you have to ask, get a 30-06. (check)

If you have to ask, use a 4x or 6x leupold with talley lightweight low mounts.

If you have to ask, shoot 180 grain plain ammo from Remchester or Winnington or Federal (165 will work too).

Yep, 30-06 will kill anything that needs killing. Kinda fond of Remington cor-lokts in 180 grain, but the other brands of bullets will do just fine also. My choice in scopes is the Leupold 2-7x in quality mounts. Weaver standard rings are fine, ugly but "bulletproof", Leupold makes a good set of bases and rings as well. Unlike some of the other posters, I don't really like Talley stuff, but that's just me.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

I'd look for a Redfield Revolution 3-9x40 or the Pentax in the classifieds. I'm a fan of 165 gr for the 30-06, and my rifle likes Federal Fusion. I like Talley lightweights, low's should work for you or Remington makes an integrated mount/ring that looks OK. Add an Uncle Mike's Mountain sling, and you're set. Scope covers optional. Buy an extra mag for the DM.
    Drink indigenous.

Get a 2.5 x 8 VX III Leupold, some 180 grain Barnes X bullets and shoot any thing in Alaska with confidence.

It's hard to beat a Leupold. If your on a budget a VXI or VXII in 3x9x40 won't neccessarily break the bank and the scope will deliver great performance. The Leupold mounts are solid and the Talley's are nice too and as already said keep it as low as possible. I'd recomend the Butler Creek flip up scope covers to keep as much silt, sand, dirt and everything else off your lenses. If your really strapped for cash the Redfield isn't a bad choice in my opinion.

As for ammo? Choose what your rifle likes. Mine love the Lubalux coated Winchester supreme lines from the Accubond CT's, the Ballistic Silvertips and the XP3. I haven't tried the E-Tips yet though. For the bigger game I would go with the 180gr in either the XP3 or Accubond.

Good Luck!
    John
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Chinese proverb