Thread: Duck Boat Options...need all your ideas:)

Default Duck Boat Options...need all your ideas:)

Allright Waterfowlesr..here goes.. I need any ideas, options or things you would want to see or think would come in handy on a sneak boat.. I am ordering the DH from Brad at Tollerboatworks in NC. I got a pretty good price and worked out a deal on shipping. I just need to get the options worked out on the boat before he starts. He has been awesome with providing information and seems he and his partner are willing to build anything you can dream of to add to the boat.

I dont have an empty budget..lol... nor the means to make this puppy fly..but would like to have honest options or ideas from you guys. Everyone has that little compartment or adapter somewhere that makes it really come in handy when the time is near. I will add a 12 or 18hp Copperhead to it for power. The aluminum will weigh in at about 250lbs and be about 100lbs lighter than the wooden ones he is currently offering. It will also be his first one shipped to AK.

I am currently going with the standard options offered on the DH 14.7. I am also working out three other options: 1 is to have a removable seat that will go in parallel and then turn and lock in. It will be watertight and provide the option to be used for storage or a seat for a second person etc. will not be huge..but large enough I am hoping to accomodate a blind bag. jacket etc. option 2. is to have a small compartment about the size of a Ammo can in the back to store my survival/took kit, plugs etc for those days we know things can go wrong. 3. Is a winch mount incorporated into the front.

If you look at the NFZ the lights and options on it will standard as well.

Let me know what you would like to see.

Thanks guys....as I sit 5K miles away....its my only connection to returning to AK after retirement...guess it is my retirement gift to myself....well..one of them..lol

I will post final product and options chosen when I make deposit and final decision.

DH
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

you might want one the hand bars they put in the go devil boats so you can stand up and use your tiller and not lose your balance. I plan on putting one in my DH when I build it. I plan on putting a 9 hp Go Devil on mine. Also having something welded on the sides so you can add vegitation would be a good idea. I have seen these on the DH boats before, I think it's a really good idea. A dog ladder and platform might also be something you might want. I am also going to design a seat in mine that reclines so I can sit upright, and also lay back to use my boat as a layout. I think an aluminum DH is going to be an awesome. I really want to see pics when you get it. What are you looking at for cost of the boat if you don't mind me asking?
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

The removable hand bar was something Brad had mentioned. I am in favor of it as well. We had talked about the dog latter... he makes these as well..still thinking about this...

The reclining aspect is very important and a great point... I was going to figure something out..but now, might have him look at a reclining seat or just make one when it gets here...those little bleacher seats would probably work out well in something like this... I will ask him what he thinks on making a reclining seat to lean against.

Cost and information is on his website...www.tollerboatworks.com

This might be one of his first alumium ones if not..he and his partner and still trying to figure up the cost..but should be a little below the wood and glass version..with options probably a little over.
    Thanks...
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Brad is currently building a metal version of his highly modified DH - The No Fly Zone (NFZ). He has construction posts with lots of photos on The Refuge and Duckboats.

For a new DH make sure it is built flat with no rocker so that the Copperhead will work its best.

Is a hunt deck an option? Pretty handy feature on a boat with tall sides or blind.

Small shell/stuff shelves under the decks. Might be blocked by the gun/pole rack. Handy for keeping small items in reach and dry.

Default Should be a nice boat

I just ordered the plans for the duck hunter, but I am thinking about building the DH2 version that Brad has made. Thinking about what I want I found myself designing dry boxes, one on each side tucked in or hanging from the underside of the decking. I want them to store guns while youíre moving and keep them secure. I plan to have my kids in this boat and I have hunting partners with expensive guns, so a safe dry place to keep them is a priority for me.
    I also looked at the dog step, which I think I will need to design myself. I think a two level deck is a good idea, one level that is above the water and one below so that dog can get up without killing itself or rocking the boat too bad.

I decided against the cup holders, simply because I donít want someone bringing their stainless steel cup and having it shine to the high heavens, but I do want to incorporate a shelf to hold a box of 3.5Ē shells for easy access and less mess on the deck. I donít know if I want the movable like Brads hangers, so this is something I will need to decide once I sit in the boat framed out. I also need to contact Brad to see what motor can be put on the DH2, mainly how big can you go!

I would be really interested in seeing this boat; I bet it will be nice.

you might as well have him add a propane tank and a two burner stove in case you want a hot breakfast out there
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

I think a box somewhere that is somewhat protected from rain that will fit a box of shells is a must. I hate it when i accidentally knock my box of shells off the seat and into the bottom of my boat, in the puddle of water drug in by the dog. I also would work at incorporating dry boxes as mentioned before. I like having an extra dry sweater at all times.

LMAO... already have that covered... like that

UOTE=SkinnyD;1021276]you might as well have him add a propane tank and a two burner stove in case you want a hot breakfast out there[/QUOTE]

I dont think you need any sort of hunt deck on that style boat. the dog can sit on the nose. Dry storage is a must, gun racks save a lot of space and keep your guns off the floor. might look into a gun box that doubles as seats. winch mounted to the boat would be sweet and make the portage a lot easier but i'm sure you already have this covered. its going to be an amazing boat. I might have to fly back up here for a reunion hunt with you and bob once you get back. I also hear copperhead has a 20some hp motor in the works, if it weighs the same as the 18 it might be the ticket!

Griff,

Yeah, got the winch figured out, i agree with the dog issue and will talk to him on the gun box. See what he can fugure iut,
    thx

UOTE=Griffin4590;1021966]I dont think you need any sort of hunt deck on that style boat. the dog can sit on the nose. Dry storage is a must, gun racks save a lot of space and keep your guns off the floor. might look into a gun box that doubles as seats. winch mounted to the boat would be sweet and make the portage a lot easier but i'm sure you already have this covered. its going to be an amazing boat. I might have to fly back up here for a reunion hunt with you and bob once you get back. I also hear copperhead has a 20some hp motor in the works, if it weighs the same as the 18 it might be the ticket![/QUOTE]

Hey Hugh,

I guess you made it to Korea. Im still in Afghanistan. Have you looked at the Gator Hide by Gator traxs? Also, dont forget about those Hyper drives I was telling you about.

Jack

I'm considering building a duck boat myself later this winter. You might consider what I want. I want a deck for a dog in both front and rear. this would include a short 2' deck ahead of the motor that has a easily removeable or lift off lid, where battery, bilge pump (elect or battery operated), tool box, etc can be easily accessed. No fixed seats. That way when parked at 90* of spread, hunters can sit facing either direction easily with portable stool or bucket on each side. Inset for box of shells and coffee cup on each side for each hunter, with drain hole. Yes to keep coffee cups and ammo from littering the floor. Very light weight (under 100 lbs plus motor)and useable with 6 or 9 hp mud motor. be sure and keep hp under 20 if using on duck lake). Clips on side of shooting areas to hold gun upright and prevent butt from sliding out on floor. At least 2 upright tubes to stick push pole or decoy hook in temporarly while moving around deks, etc getting set up and picking up. Blind frame, (possibly solid blind) that is tall enough that when sitting comforatble only head is above blind. Handles on bow and both corners of transome for moving around boat and lifting. Wide and very stable.

These are some things I've been thinking of incorperating in my build. Might be a bit much, but these are ideas I have had. Bud
    Wasilla

Banned

Make it where you can sleep in it and I'll buy one from you! I've often thought how it might be to build a large pumpkinseed type boat like a lay-out boat big enough to sleep in. It would have to be light probably in 1/4 inch ply. It seems with modern exoxy it could be built with few or no ribs for room, like a true shell. One could call it the duck shell. lol Maybe one already exists?

I just started a DH build this morning. After taking a beating at the hardware store I began, I'll post up some pics tonight I am wondering if anyone ever built the standard DH, and modified the hull bottom with the addition of a Vshaped section to improve the ride in small chop? I really like the look and layout, and plan on buying a new 20hp tohatsu for it.

I have seen the wedge and am thinking of improving on that with a little extra wood work before glassing. I will continue to ponder this one as I build, but I will sick to the plans for now. I am also going to customize the inside some.

I will get some pics up, maybe a new thread. I will bang the boat out as fast as my supply of materials can be obtained. Now I need to start ordering my glassing supplies, to the best of my abilities. Hazmat is going to be tough, so I expect another beating on paint and resin.

Bud..I like some of those... I am going to have the removable seat put in it..that awasy I can rotate it 90% or leave it locke in...the hunt deck is something I am going to pass on...with the lowprofile blind...I think when I do get another lab...it will be better off lower with me...seems the blinds he has and what I have in mind will work great.
    the pushpole holder or something to sounds interesting.. He is going to have rails or handles made of 1" aluminum all the way around the boat...to include end and front..

Thanks...sure you will post pics when you get started... looking forward to seeing some of them around AK later on..we will have to get together when I get back and kill some birds....

1022948]I'm considering building a duck boat myself later this winter. You might consider what I want. I want a deck for a dog in both front and rear. this would include a short 2' deck ahead of the motor that has a easily removeable or lift off lid, where battery, bilge pump (elect or battery operated), tool box, etc can be easily accessed. No fixed seats. That way when parked at 90* of spread, hunters can sit facing either direction easily with portable stool or bucket on each side. Inset for box of shells and coffee cup on each side for each hunter, with drain hole. Yes to keep coffee cups and ammo from littering the floor. Very light weight (under 100 lbs plus motor)and useable with 6 or 9 hp mud motor. be sure and keep hp under 20 if using on duck lake). Clips on side of shooting areas to hold gun upright and prevent butt from sliding out on floor. At least 2 upright tubes to stick push pole or decoy hook in temporarly while moving around deks, etc getting set up and picking up. Blind frame, (possibly solid blind) that is tall enough that when sitting comforatble only head is above blind. Handles on bow and both corners of transome for moving around boat and lifting. Wide and very stable.

These are some things I've been thinking of incorperating in my build. Might be a bit much, but these are ideas I have had. Bud[/QUOTE]

Jack

Yeah,... I have looked at those...just really like the way this guy has his built...the motor is going to be one of the Copperheads..12 or 18hp..probably the latter...want some speed. Hope you get to come back up in a couple of years....stay in touch.

Quote Originally Posted by J.DORATY View Post
    Hey Hugh,

I guess you made it to Korea. Im still in Afghanistan. Have you looked at the Gator Hide by Gator traxs? Also, dont forget about those Hyper drives I was telling you about.

Jack

Steve has a boat he and a friend built this last year that I really like. Very wide and stable, about 12x4 i think. Extreamly roomy interior, he has fold up frame on front and rear and I would assume some connecting mechanism to support blind material between the two sections. Very light weight. I am hoping to figure out the orgin of the plans. he told me, but I don't recall exactly. Said it was called the mallard or widgon, and i dont recall the designer, plans cost $65 he said. Lots of different models on google with those names so not as easy as I had thought to find the plans. I want a platform in front and rear, because I usually hunt with a friend who also has a dog, and I like to have my dog near me for better control and lining when sending her. I don't care about low profile, having the blind high enough to be comfortable and to pop up quickly and easily is more important to me (like jack in the box) old guys like me have a lot harder time popping up then when I was young. Most places I hunt have enough cover that the boat can still be hidden even if blind goes as high as 4 ft off the water.

Steve, if you or your friend see this, could you get me info or ordering those plans. Bud
    Wasilla

Quote Originally Posted by AKmik View Post
    I just started a DH build this morning. After taking a beating at the hardware store I began, I'll post up some pics tonight I am wondering if anyone ever built the standard DH, and modified the hull bottom with the addition of a Vshaped section to improve the ride in small chop? I really like the look and layout, and plan on buying a new 20hp tohatsu for it.

I have seen the wedge and am thinking of improving on that with a little extra wood work before glassing. I will continue to ponder this one as I build, but I will sick to the plans for now. I am also going to customize the inside some.

I will get some pics up, maybe a new thread. I will bang the boat out as fast as my supply of materials can be obtained. Now I need to start ordering my glassing supplies, to the best of my abilities. Hazmat is going to be tough, so I expect another beating on paint and resin.
    People install wedges because they did not take the rocker out of the hull. If you take the rocker out by keeping the stern end of the hull pieces as wide as the mid point all the way back then you will not need to install wedges to fix the performance issues. there are many posts about this issue over on the gator forums.

Hey Hugh,

You got a good email I can reach you at? I tryed reaching you when I was in Alaska (Aug-Sept). I guess you had already left or was on your way out. Mine is still the same......

Jack