Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freeze Dried Food

Default Freeze Dried Food

So I was at REI tonight buying a new sleeping bag stuff sack, and started looking at Mountain House to potentially take on my next trip. I go camping or hunting or whatever and usually its no brainier decision, I get Mountain House. It's ok, you know what you're getting, but it's not amazing. But for the first time I noticed there were other brands. What do people like? What do you get? Is it any better?

We have used Mountain House and Backpacker's Pantry. Out the these two, we like that Backpacker's Pantry. The don't take up as much room and taste much better. Had a 6 day hunting trip and saved about 200lb in weight. Jet Boil worked great and then had a water filter system. In all food,jet boil, fuel and water filter system weighed less that 10 pounds.

I have eaten dehydrated grub exclusively on my last 3 moose hunts, predominantly Mountain house, but with a few backpackers pantrys meals spinkled in. To me, they are both hit or miss. MH seems to have the better tasting type meals that you would order in a restraunt such as spaggettii or lasagna. Backpackers pantry meals were ok, but they seem to offer alternative entres as if to find a nitche in the marketplace that Mountainhouse doesnt cover.

I have several mountain house chili macs that have gone from Wisconsin to Alaska and back to Wisconsin 3 times now. They are my designated emergency food in case I dont get picked up as planned, and they are probably going to make a 4th trip next year LOL!.

No matter what, with either of these two brands, a bottle of tabasco, teriyaki, and a 4 select spice jar is mandatory imo.

I've used Mountain House after sampling others. The taste is ok and if you ignore the "2 person" serving suggestions, its enough. My duaghter does like the chili mac though. Marc at Wiggy's Alaska usual has a bulk sale twice a year and the prices are better than other places and you can order any meals they produce.

I usually dehydrate my own, but take a few Mt. House along for emergencies. Since I don't eat a lot of them, the lack of variety doesn't bother me, though if I am planning on eating a few I'll bring along a few extra bags of veggies I dehydrated at home and stir them in.

After years of Mountain House, I have changed over to Hawk Vittles. Small company, the owner is a hiker and a Chef, takes PayPal and ships flat rate and quick. Great small company to deal with.

http://hawkvittles.com/

Enjoy
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

In the past we tried every brand and finally settled on MH. The dinners are all the same, 2 cups of boiling water. Some other brands require you to actually cook part of the meal in a pan. We don't cook on our trips, we only boil water and we don't do dishes. I saw COSTCO is selling variety packs of MH for about $4 per meal.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    After years of Mountain House, I have changed over to Hawk Vittles. Small company, the owner is a hiker and a Chef, takes PayPal and ships flat rate and quick. Great small company to deal with.

http://hawkvittles.com/
    Man, some of those options look fantastic! Thanks for the recommendation, Steve - I think my wife and I will be trying some of those out next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Man, some of those options look fantastic! Thanks for the recommendation, Steve - I think my wife and I will be trying some of those out next year.
    Brian,, try the Hot Italian sausage, bell pepper, onions, spaghetti sauce, pasta,, it is awesome. The best dried meal I have ate so far!!!

Steve
    Founding Member

I prefer to bring (formerly) Lipton's Noodles and sauce.. now Knorr brand, and Mac and Cheese removed from the cardboard and placed in a Ziplock (cooks up fine with water instead of milk and butter). My own selection of dehydrated vegies, and if space/weight is not a big issue, some canned chicken, tuna and /or turkey. Less expensive, better tasting and less space. Of course I always have Tabasco with me. Just cook with boiling water.

Wow Stid, those look awesome!! Can't wait to try them out.

Long trips require planning for food and dehydrated meals are simply part of my fall schedule. Mountain House may not be the best, but at their price point some of their meals are excellent values. I've tried others, but I keep coming back to MH. Try a variety of their meals and then pick 3 or 4 you like and stick with them. Normally I'll eat "noodles & chicken" "lasagna with beef" and "chicken & rice" the entire trip. Maybe mix in something else occasionally if we're gone for more than 2 weeks, but otherwise I stick with the tried and true and figure that's good enough.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Brian,, try the Hot Italian sausage, bell pepper, onions, spaghetti sauce, pasta,, it is awesome. The best dried meal I have ate so far!!!

Steve
    Now that brings a whole new meaning to the idea of being down wind.

Quote Originally Posted by 379 Peterbilt View Post
    I have eaten dehydrated grub exclusively on my last 3 moose hunts, predominantly Mountain house, but with a few backpackers pantrys meals spinkled in. To me, they are both hit or miss. MH seems to have the better tasting type meals that you would order in a restraunt such as spaggettii or lasagna. Backpackers pantry meals were ok, but they seem to offer alternative entres as if to find a nitche in the marketplace that Mountainhouse doesnt cover.

I have several mountain house chili macs that have gone from Wisconsin to Alaska and back to Wisconsin 3 times now. They are my designated emergency food in case I dont get picked up as planned, and they are probably going to make a 4th trip next year LOL!.

No matter what, with either of these two brands, a bottle of tabasco, teriyaki, and a 4 select spice jar is mandatory imo.
    The key (no matter which freeze dried meal you take) is Tabasco sauce. Don't leave home without it, I never do.

Default MH

Never tried the other meals, but i do modify my MH meals a bit that has been pretty successful. Since their packaging is bulky (I'm a sheep hunter primarily) I always open the meals and vaccum seal them to make them smaller and lighter. This also allows me to toss in a few spoonfuls of couscous for added calories. It also allows me to add some spices to the meals which makes a huge difference. I always keep one MH meal in the packaging and use that the entire trip as my "bowl". The ziploc seal will break eventually so you might want to bring two MH meals still in the original packaging. Cuts down the weight a bit and prevents you from having to bring a spice package or hot sauce into the field.

Wow... I guess I'm off with my taste buds but I could not disagree more on the hawkvittles recommendation. I bought some as did my friend who passed away. I ended up with a load of them and was not impressed at all. I tried several items. Someone in anchorage that likes them I've got a big load I will dump for 40 percent less than I paid! Send PM
    Jason
    Don't even ask about the crab fritatta around my dad.....I'm pretty sure he wrote me out of the will after that dinner!

IMO...they are all better than MREs, I haven't been able to eat one of those since '03. Haven't tried the Hawk Vittles but between Backpackers Pantry and MH I go with MH.
    "No battle plan ever survives first contact with the enemy" - Unknown
    Literal Translation:
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by slickmcit View Post
    . Had a 6 day hunting trip and saved about 200lb in weight. Jet Boil worked great and then had a water filter system. In all food,jet boil, fuel and water filter system weighed less that 10 pounds.
    200lbs? How much do you eat in 6 days?
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Cooler, Ice,Food, Water. Adds up a lot quicker that one would think.

Quote Originally Posted by jnalaska View Post
    Wow... I guess I'm off with my taste buds but I could not disagree more on the hawkvittles recommendation. I bought some as did my friend who passed away. I ended up with a load of them and was not impressed at all. I tried several items. Someone in anchorage that likes them I've got a big load I will dump for 40 percent less than I paid! Send PM
    Jason
    Don't even ask about the crab fritatta around my dad.....I'm pretty sure he wrote me out of the will after that dinner!
    I have to admit that I stay away from any kind of dried Seafood. Learned that living with my half Japanese ex wife, she loved dried fish and the longer I chewed it the nastier it got.

I tend to go with the pastas and Lasagnas.

Steve
    Founding Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast