Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slugs in a waterfowler's pocket?

Default Slugs in a waterfowler's pocket?

Ticket or no ticket? What to do about hunting in areas where one may encounter bears? Recent events in my hunting area have caused me to consider this. Also, what would be the ramifications of firing slugs through a waterfowl choke? Ruined gun? What about buckshot? I would think that as one could potentially hunt birds with buckshot, that slugs would maybe be a better choice in the eyes of an enforcement officer but I believe anything lead will get you into trouble.

The very least of my worries would be what the brown shirts say, the only time you would have to explain things is after you shot a bear (or moose). People carry guns all the time while fishing, do you think its to shoot fish? Bud
    Wasilla

And yes, I have heard the same (from 2 different sources) you have most likely heard, a couple duck hunters shot a griz a few days ago that chased a moose into their blind and then wanted to eat the hunters. Bud
    Wasilla

I talked with a gunsmith about ten years ago that said you can shoot a slug through a choke tube. He suggested that I use a very basic lead slug. I bought some and carried them for a year and decided why take a chance and have carried buckshot ever since. As far as the authority's, I'm sure they would give you crap and wright you a ticket.

I have read a first hand account of that encounter and seen pictures of the aftermath. The hunters were VERY lucky... not a scratch! 12 rounds of #4 dispatched a not small bear. Makes a guy thankful for those times when the birds make us practice rapid reload.

I surpose if you were carrying lead shot, they would ticket you, but no grounds if slugs or steel shot. Bud

Quote Originally Posted by Boomstickalaskan View Post
    I talked with a gunsmith about ten years ago that said you can shoot a slug through a choke tube. He suggested that I use a very basic lead slug. I bought some and carried them for a year and decided why take a chance and have carried buckshot ever since. As far as the authority's, I'm sure they would give you crap and wright you a ticket.
    Wasilla

The regs deal with "shot". A slug is not shot.
    I wouldn't get caught with buckshot. You would leave it to speculation and interpretation by the officer. By regulation , with buckshot you are illegal. The officer will give you a ticket.
    Carry slugs, no interpretation needed. I've been checked many times and no officer had problems with the slugs.

I won't be shooting a bear with steel shot unless I've got nothing else. A can of bear spray on your belt might be faster than unloading your gun, finding your slugs and reloading your gun.

I think a bear catching a 3.5" load of BB at about 10 yards in the face would have a good chance of being blind...
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

Another forum member and I had this conversation earlier this season. Without reading any regs we agreed that slugs are the least risky and found them to be comparable to the munitions for the sidearm my pal was carrying. My impression of Wildlife Troopers is that they are understanding and can appreciate the intricacies of scattergun hunting in the Last Frontier and her associated apex predators. Would you rather carry the slug and maybe defend yourself and maybe get a ticket or leave it home and maybe get killed but for sure not get a ticket? With that said, my opinion on bear protection is that almost every attack situation will unfold so fast you won't have the opportunity to shoot anyway so you might as well carry your 3 best waterfowl loads.
    Go Big Red!

Quote Originally Posted by AK375HH View Post
    I think a bear catching a 3.5" load of BB at about 10 yards in the face would have a good chance of being blind...
    It's a good thing that bears don't need their already poor eyesight to kill you then.

Anything other than a slug is no good for bear. Forget all these ridiculous suggestions for buckshot, BB, #4, etc. These guys are gonna get you killed if you happen into a life-or-death bear fight. Take slugs... and a big-bore revolver, JIC.

Secondly, soft lead and sabot slugs will not harm most chokes at all. A very tight choke might be damaged by hard cast. To see if you're going to have a problem, just look at the actual bullet diameter of the slug you're considering (printed on the box) and compare that to the minimum ID of your choke tube. If the bullet is bigger than the tube, you might have an issue. Those soft lead Fosters (which ain't real great for bear) have so much slop in the barrel that they'll go through anything up to a Full choke.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Slugs re one thing I have messed with. I can't sugest saboted slugs with a choke, the hard plastic coating is made to be tight in the barrel of a rifles shot gun. and that comming out of a choke would prolly flareo ut your gun at least.

the foster type slugs (typical rifled slugs) are actually considerable smaller than teh inside diameter of a shotgun barrel. an IC choke is reccomended for shooting rifled slugs and they shoot great out of my gun with a modified choke.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

I have been checked by Federal Fish and Wildlife while possessing slugs during a duck hunt and they never even blinked an eye about it.

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    It's a good thing that bears don't need their already poor eyesight to kill you then.

Anything other than a slug is no good for bear. Forget all these ridiculous suggestions for buckshot, BB, #4, etc. These guys are gonna get you killed if you happen into a life-or-death bear fight. Take slugs... and a big-bore revolver, JIC.

Secondly, soft lead and sabot slugs will not harm most chokes at all. A very tight choke might be damaged by hard cast. To see if you're going to have a problem, just look at the actual bullet diameter of the slug you're considering (printed on the box) and compare that to the minimum ID of your choke tube. If the bullet is bigger than the tube, you might have an issue. Those soft lead Fosters (which ain't real great for bear) have so much slop in the barrel that they'll go through anything up to a Full choke.
    I carry a casull ruger alaskan when im in a bear area. I'm saying I would take a waterfowl load to the face of a bear before I pulled out a can of cajun seasoning to spray him with. muzzle blast and shot is probably going to be just as affective if not more. As far as getting people killed...I've held my own with 2 bear charges, I'm an ok guy to have there when your dealing with them
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

I agree, have the slugs on hand.I don't give a s### if the brown shirts can't understand this. I have a family to return to and take care of. I will just take my chances and do my best explaining it to them or the judge...lol
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Anybody have a link? I would love to read that story!!

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Unless you have a slug or buckshot load in your gun along with waterfowl loads, you are not going to get busted.

The 2 guys the story is about had the bear in their lap in a matter of seconds, each gave the griz 3 shots of duck loads, at very close range, lucky they were not killed or injured. I had 2 friends email me about it yesterday, one of them a AP reporter.

I often considered taking along slugs during moose season, since I have occasionally seen moose while duck hunting. Never considered it for bear. Bud
    Wasilla

The bear was right upon them after diverting from chasing a moose. Bear received 12 rounds of #4 steel which is not the optimal bear medicine but luckily no humans were harmed. There is a series of photos which are pretty remarkable.

I got that story emailed to me as well. Looks pretty legit, the story said it was Portage but they had a duck shack and an argo, neither of which I thought were legal in the Portage/20 mile area. Does anyone have a confirmation on the true story?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast