Thread: Bear Rug Photos

Default Bear Rug Photos

I'm getting ready to have a black bear rug done and was wondering if anyone has any photos of their rugs they would like to share. I'm trying to figure out the colors for the felt that wraps around the outside. Let's see what you have!

I dont have a picture but i went with burgendy red closest to the hide then black on the outter edge. This was on a black bear and it looks really nice.

One thing you might want to do if it's not a very big bear is to have the first felt boarder done in black, that will make the bear look bigger, and burgundy on the outside edge. As SEEBLAZE mentioned; burgundy and black are very attractive colors for a black bear rug. I personally would stay away from red, orange and green, those seem to be seen one bear rugs occasionally. I wish I could figure out how to post pictures on this site, i could show you an example of one done how I mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by wags View Post
    One thing you might want to do if it's not a very big bear is to have the first felt boarder done in black, that will make the bear look bigger, and burgundy on the outside edge. As SEEBLAZE mentioned; burgundy and black are very attractive colors for a black bear rug. I personally would stay away from red, orange and green, those seem to be seen one bear rugs occasionally. I wish I could figure out how to post pictures on this site, i could show you an example of one done how I mentioned.
    Yes, color closest to color of bear goes against bear. Looks goofy otherwise. Plus like you said, makes it look larger too, but mostly it hides the raw edges of the tanned hide and blends nicely with the whole bear, then accent color does just that, accents bear color.

DSCN0535.jpgOnly pic I could find quickly, hope the colors show.

Thanks for the advice! I would never have thought of black around the inside with burgandy around the outside. Great idea! I'm curious if you guys like the scalloped look of the felt around the border or just plain? Also, what jaw sets and tongues do you guys like? The Mohr sets look pretty realistic that are in some of the taxidermy catalogs. If anyone has a wide view of the entire rug plus close-ups of the trim and mouth it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again for the comments!

Smile

Black around the bear on the inner layer of material to enhance the size of the bar. I have black bear rugs with green, burgandy & gray as an outer color & agree that burgandy looks best. The nicest work I have is a wall mount of a 1/2 bear perched on a rock. That was done by Foster's Taxidermy in Wasilla. Dan does excellent work

Default Brown bear rug

Slide2.jpgSlide1.jpg

Here is a closer look at a brown bear rug, Customer went with a lighter inner color and a black outer color.. Looks real nice on brown bears and has been chosen 10-1 over other colors..

On black bears, 90% of the time black is the inner color as mentioned followed up with a tan, Charchol grey and Deep red being the top 3.

Mohr jaws were used in this particular mount..

Hoytguy

Wife's Black Bear open mouth red on black felt.

Brown Bear, closed mouth tan on brown felt.

Toklat Grizzly, open mouth tan on brown felt.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Think of framing a picture. The matt and frame should be transparent ~ ie they should not be the first thing you notice. You notice the picture first and the matt and frame add to it.

Same idea on bear rug. Colors should complement the rug, but not draw attention away from it.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Hey, WARRIOR, very good explanation. STID, great looking mounts.

a few more pics, interior griz, with double backing of same colorbear2.jpgbear1.jpg
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

My blackie from last year should be almost done (sposed to be done in July - but we know how that goes)...I chose burgandy and hunter green (green outside) - now you guys are making me re-think it....I don't feel the need to make him bigger as he squared 6'-10".

Default Couple bear rugs..

Trophy room.jpg

Here is a beige color (Inner) and black outer on a 6'5" blackie, the one on the right is my daughters on black and red.. Crappy iphone pic, but you get the idea..

Hoytguy

Nice rugs Jesse.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

More crappy cell phone pics but there shoud be a gray, red & green outer color here. all have black next to the hide. Plus a 1/2 mount on wallAttachment 54098Attachment 54099

The other 2, not puter literateAttachment 54100Attachment 54101

IMGP1455.jpg This is the bugendy with black.