Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Son's First Bull

Default Son's First Bull

Logan Moose 2011 1.JPGLogan Moose 2011 3.JPG

For nearly a year I told my 15 year old son we would go moose hunting the third week in September. I had the dates arranged with the Papa Bear Adventures in Bethel. In July I was notified my agency was holding meeting out of State beginning the 19th of September. I asked about sending a substitute and was told no. This was not the first time that meetings planned by others was taking away from quality time with my son. I explained the situation to the guys at Papa Bear and they said to just let them know what dates we would like to reschedule. Very Cool! I arranged to fly back on the night of the 22nd and we flew to Bethel in the early afternoon the next day. The guys at Papa Bear had everything ready for us and we were loaded in the beaver within an hour of arriving.

After getting dropped off we found a lumpy camp site and laid low until the next morning. Before first light we hiked a short distance from camp to a small ridge and began calling. Within 30 minutes we had a young bull come within rifle range. We passed on him and had three cows respond to our calls. We were all set up with rifles ready and shooting stix set up. No shooters showed up. About 10:30 we packed up to try a different spot but my son kept telling me he hears a bull behind us. I didn't hear anything. We unloaded rifles and put our packs on. My son said, "I hear a bull, and he's coming this way". Then I could see the antlers above the brush and out of the ground fog came the bull. I told my son to get ready, drop your pack! The bull stopped at 50 yards and Logan put a shell in the chamber. He had to shoot standing without a rest. We hadn't practiced this. At the shot the bull ran toward the large meadow. I cow called and he stopped. The rifle barked again and this shot was a perfect lung shot. Not bad for a standing shot at 80 yards. The bull went down and didn't move. Is he dead Dad? Yes, but lets watch him for a minute.

A 40" bull is a medium size bull as far as antlers go but this was the perfect 1st bull for my son. He helped call it in and he made the shots without me doing anything. He was thrilled and I was happy for him. I knew we would have trouble turning a bull over so I brought a come-along. Luckily there were a few small trees to tie off to. We butchered and packed all the meet away from the kill site that day and returned to pack the meat back to the lake the next day. I made 5 trips for the quarters and the ribs. Logan carried some good loads of backstrap, loose meat, and antlers. For a 110 lb boy and a 150 lb man we did ok.

When the meat was at the lake we called the air taxi and they picked us up with a cub and a beaver on Sunday afternoon. We spent a night in Bethel and were back in Anchorage on Monday afternoon. My son only missed 2 days of school (he was hoping for more) and we are set with a freezer full of moose. This was a short but very enjoyable trip for both of us.

Awesome job. Can't beat time with family. Time spent that you'll never forget.

Quote Originally Posted by brule View Post
    Awesome job. Can't beat time with family. Time spent that you'll never forget.
    what he said

Terrific story, great job dad and son! You guys will remember that one forever..

Great job. Congratulation!

Tell the boy congrats!! Great job and now he's hooked for life! Good stuff, and you can sure see a proud father in that picture!
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Congads to you all. At 50 I can't hear either good to have a fresh set of ears with you.

Congrats to you both.

Default That Kid's a Hunter

Great Story, Congrats to both of you.
    I love the part about your son, Logan(?) "kept telling me he hears a Bull behind us,...."
    Now there's a hunting partner for the future, eh?

and then the standing, freehand shooting,....
    Outstanding Alertness, and Poised Reaction there, Kid,....
    Shoot, I'd say, "You Are Running with the Big Dogs Now,

(have fun back at school, trying to pay attention in class again,....)
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Hunting with your kids is the greatest gift ~ for both you and them. Congrats
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Way to go dad! You and your son did a great job.

Reading that just made my day. Very, very good stuff.

A spike would've made you just as proud. Congrats. My boys first big hunt is next year.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Nice !!!!...............congrats....I love seeing the kids get out there and do it !!!

Way to go. Great to see the kids out there. More Dads ought to do it. My hats off to you.

Great job. A very well planned and executed hunt even with a little calendar adversity thrown in.

Too cool, congrats to both your son and you. That's a great first bull and definitely a hunt to remember!

Thanks for all the kind words! He is my oldest so I hope to have a few more first bull stories in the coming years.

A few details that worked for us. We used Alaska Airlines miles to fly to Bethel and back. Since the return date often changes we only bought one way tickets to Bethel and then one way tickets when we returned to avoid change fees. My son was shooting a Remington 700 in 7mm-08 with a leupold scope, and 160 gr Barnes bullets. This is a great gun that has a stock that can be lenthened as he grows.

We used a wooden canoe paddle for thrashing and scaping and feel like it sounds better than the commercial moose call we also had with us. The havalon knives worked great for butchering the moose and we used an axe to remove the rib cage and the antlers. I used a Barneys Hunter backpack and my only complaint is I wish the pack opening was larger. The hindquarters barely fit. We flew 500 lbs of meat back on Norhern Air Cargo. Everyone at Papa Bear was great as usual. They really go the extra mile to make your trip as smooth as possible.

Very nice!

Wonderful story and outcome! Congrats to you both - gotta love those young ears that hear what us Dads don't anymore!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast