Thread: Cheap options for snow camo...

Default Cheap options for snow camo...

Right now I'm looking at using tyvek painters suits for a cheap snow camo option for the haul road. Anyone use these before? How do they hold up? Any better ideas?

On Spenard Road near the intersection with 36'th is a Army Surplus store. It is now 907 (something) it was "The Drop Zone". they have white smocks and over pants. Remember to wear your parka when you go for a fit. They are new, cotton, cheap. (Tell em some guy code name: "Sourdough" from Hope, Alaska sent you)

I have one from the shop on Spenard. Not a bad deal if you are normal size. It was a challenge to find one to fit me.

Ive used the tyvek suits they are noisy and turns out very UV reflective! Not at all a good choice. I sew so nearly all my outdoors clothing is 75%-90% less than at the store. As a bonus they have exactly the feature I want.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I have one from the shop on Spenard. Not a bad deal if you are normal size. It was a challenge to find one to fit me.
    Yes, If I had not just bought three sets, I would have never disclosed that place. It is my favorite place to kill time and blow $60.00 in Anchorage. I always leave there feeling like I ripped the store off, insane prices. Note: I take a brown magic marker and add a few vertical lines, just to break up the solid white.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    On Spenard Road near the intersection with 36'th is a Army Surplus store. It is now 907 (something) it was "The Drop Zone".
    I buy my wool pants and long underwear for winter snowshoeing from that store at a very good price. They are an excellent shop and have many great deals for winter clothing. They are under new management and the new team has really stepped things up around there in terms of customer service and selection.
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

I have a set of Cabelas open country seclusion that looks like lite brush and dirty snow. Large top and medium bottoms. the bottoms seem like a large to me. Both are roomy to go over other clothing. This suit is cotton. Let me know if anyone wants them cheap.

I'll check them out tomorrow, that's just a few blocks down from my place.

Thanks guys

http://137.229.91.244/view/index.shtml

Check the above link to the Toolik Lake web cam and then check out the white/spot camo suits that sell for $70 at Sportsmen's Warehouse. Maybe not cheap, but these are a near perfect match for current conditions. Of course this will change any day now! Good luck if you go.

Hmmm, I haven't seen those suits at SW. Been in there a bit lately but they just have pants of some sort. I'll have to go back in, maybe they got more stuff in.

Don't forget the Salvation Army and Value Village. Lots of stuff goes through there and it is normally cheap. Plus the money goes to good causes.
    Used butcher smocks would work pretty well also if you can find one. Wonder if anybody has any used painters whites?
    ARR

White hoodie and a pair of white sweat pants at Wallmart set me back about $25

Ditto RickP's comment! Tyvex suits are extremlely noisy. Might as well wrap yourself in tater-chip bags and try to sneak around. Plus, Tyvex loses some of it's flex and gets even noisier as it gets colder outside.

Add to this that Tyvex is totally waterproof... meaning that it's going to trap your sweat and you'll get wet from the inside out. A pretty bad way to be wandering around outdoors in the snow.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Mossyhorn, I saw the SW white camo at the Soldotna store and just assumed they would have them at the Anchortown store. Maybe not. Sorry. Are you headed up again this year?

I don't know if you could order this from Sportsman's Guide and get it in time, but they usually ship fast. I bought the British Nylon set last year, hit it with a few blotches and stripes of black marker to break up the outline a bit, and it worked great for a winter moose hunt. Here are some links:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/s...lothing&eMode=

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=392542

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=743151

Ya, we are going to go back up. We'll be leaving on the 26th of October and be home on the 2nd. Should be a good adventure if nothing else. Hopefully the caribou are in the area to keep us busy!

Thanks for the Sportsman's Guide links, I didn't even think about them. That may be my best option.

I checked out the Army surplus stuff and it was pretty well beat up and no tops. Would have been $50 bucks for a very well used set of whites.

Got your cheap snow camo here! Check this out... http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/449510...cess?gt1=43001

Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Ok, JOAT gets a round of applause. That is funny. I can't wait to see guys lined up on the Steese Hwy in wedding garb calling in those distant predators.
    ARR