Thread: 2012 moose jet boat (Help)

Default 2012 moose jet boat (Help)

Myself and five other are planning a trip up to Alaska in 2012 and be hunting for moose. I have been put in charge of planning this adventure but I have never been to Alaska. We will be bringing 2 river jet boats and all of our gear we are all avid hunters and outdoorsmen but I am having trouble finding a place to go. I ordered some better maps today as the one i have is not very detailed for alaska. I was looking at the yukon river but I also heard that the wrangell Mt. area was good also. What unit would you recommend hunting in? Any help woould really be great.

What kind of boats are you bringing for 5 people? How do you plan on getting the meat back to the lower 48?
    Tennessee

You dont need a jet to run the Yukon...and from the bridge all the way downriver to Paimiut it is all draw for nonres moose.

We where ether going to freeze the meat and use dryice and haul it home or I saw a trucking company that hauls it south. Thats why im on this forum to get input from people that have been there. Im going to have to get the regulations sent to me I am have difficult time reading it on the NET. Would the south east side of the state be better??

The type of boats are north river jet boats they each can hold 8 people we are taking 2 because sh*t happens.

Tough to find a place to hunt that is not native land, off of rivers and most of the road system. Do your research once you decide on area.

Quote Originally Posted by kk alaska View Post
    Tough to find a place to hunt that is not native land, off of rivers and most of the road system. Do your research once you decide on area.

I have ordered maps for Alaska. Is it marked on most maps what is native land and what is public?? How does one find out what is what??

Quote Originally Posted by ryanf73 View Post
    I have ordered maps for Alaska. Is it marked on most maps what is native land and what is public?? How does one find out what is what??
    It won't be marked on many maps you can easily find. You probably need to contact BLM or the fish and game to get a better feel for public/private/state/federal lands. All have different conditions to work under with regards to hunting. Probably the best thing to do would be to look through the regs (print off a copy from the web rather than try to read it online or get a copy mailed to you, but keep in mind they will change somewhat for next season's hunt) and find the areas available to you as a non-resident hunter. See if you want to apply for any permits for areas that require permits (permit applications must be in by Dec. 31st I believe for next year's hunting). Once you find the areas open to you, do some searches here on the forums for those areas. Search by game management unit, river name, village name, etc... There is tons of information available once you start to have a way to narrow it down. Some more information might help as well. How long are you going to have available for the hunt? What are the dates and are they flexible? Anything that might help to focus the search.Good luck.

From what I have read online it looks like the best time to be there is 2week after laborday, I will probably take 3 weeks off and
    we are all flexable. The guys that work for themselfs and and can take a month off will be taking the boats up and the rest of us will fly up with the guns. I will try to get ahold of fish and wildlife today and see if they will send regs or have my wifes cousin send some down. Is the general season Tag good for the whole state with different units having different requirments??

From what I have read online it looks like the best time to be there is 2week after laborday, I will probably take 3 weeks off and
    we are all flexable. The guys that work for themselfs and and can take a month off will be taking the boats up and the rest of us will fly up with the guns. I will try to get ahold of fish and wildlife today and see if they will send regs or have my wifes cousin send some down. Is the general season Tag good for the whole state with different units having different requirments??
    For the most part, the general season tag is good statewide, but doesn't help for "drawing", "subsistence" or "registration" hunts. Those are each treated separately and you will see in the regs that there are various options for each unit. Some units may be drawing only, others will have a mix of drawing hunts and general season hunts with various differences (bull only vs cow only vs any moose, different seasons, archery vs rifle, etc...). Many moose seasons end on September 20th, but others go to the 25th, and 30th and some have seasons that go much later into the winter. Depending on where you are going, targeting the last portion of the season can be good and bad. If it is a cold fall, water levels in glacial rivers can drop dramatically and you can find yourself getting snowed on. Personlly, that doesn't impact me and I like hunting in the cooler weather anyway, but it can be an issue depending... Another bonus of late season is that the meat will hold longer in the field so you can take a longer trip.

Thanks for the info, This I why I am starting to do research a year early there is a lot of options to consider.
    If you where a nonresident and were in our situation which unit would you focous on? Also we will be rifle hunting but I am also going to bring my bow. Thank you for your input.

Thanks for the info, This I why I am starting to do research a year early there is a lot of options to consider.
    If you where a nonresident and were in our situation which unit would you focous on? Also we will be rifle hunting but I am also going to bring my bow. Thank you for your input.
    I will have to defer to others with regards to suggestions on areas. My moose hunting is mostly limited to areas where I can archery hunt (rifles not legal) and are typically drawing only hunts for residents. I do "hunt" for moose when out caribou hunting, but the populations are down in those areas to the point where the odds are not very good at finding a legal moose. The areas I hunt are not places you would want to try with a jetboat unless you really knew the area well and still didn't mind beating up your rigs, better for small boats. I know there are areas that are more jet boat friendly and have better numbers of moose, but they are not where I go so can't speak to them very well. They usually require a bit more commitment with regards to fuel and time which it sounds like you have available.

This wll help with maps and land ownership identification: http://fire.ak.blm.gov/ .

As for GMU research/considerations, try here : http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...sehunting.main .

You and your friends can have a great hunt as long as you are aware of all the logistics involved. One of the biggest being fuel for your boats. Do some dry runs to see what the boats can handle as far as weight and how much fuel they burn when fully loaded.

How big are your boats and what are they powered with? How much do they weigh? You might think they can carry 8 people, but they can't carry 8 when loaded for moose hunting with extra fuel barrels on board. Don't forget you need to get your moose back to the launch area and depending on the area you hunt, it will most likely not be legal to bone it out. Gas was almost $6 a gallon at Tanana last month, more at Galena.

It is good you are planning this far ahead.
    Tennessee

Im not sure exact weight and lenght I think 16' I know one has a ford 351 and the other is a chevy fuel injected 350.
    We have talked about take barrels of fuel with us. Not sure on max weight they can handle the guys that own the boats say it can do it but all I know are the rivers in Oregon and the way they flow for speed. It may take muliple trips to get everything moved up stream.
    Thanks everyone for your input.

Im not sure exact weight and lenght I think 16' I know one has a ford 351 and the other is a chevy fuel injected 350.
    We have talked about take barrels of fuel with us. Not sure on max weight they can handle the guys that own the boats say it can do it but all I know are the rivers in Oregon and the way they flow for speed. It may take muliple trips to get everything moved up stream.
    Thanks everyone for your input.
    The most important part of your planning should center around how much weight each boat can carry and how much fuel it will burn when fully loaded. Until you know this it is pretty hard to plan a hunt as you do not know what your range is.
    Tennessee

Thats a very good point I will have to get with them and see if they know offhand if they do not know we will have to do a test run up the local river.

What ever your budget is..........triple it! Just continue to read the forum. THere are thousands of pages full of info. Do you research and keep reading and you will find the answers. No one has mentioned that you are asking for info that is guarded secrets and most won't share. Rivers for jet boats get crowded so no ones wants to add another to the river they hunt. I know that one thing that some of the more successful jet boater do is carrying a canoe with them and travel as far as they can then utilize the canoe to get even farther back. Make sure that your guys are well practiced and have all of the equipment for getting unstuck. I'm sure that you are spending plenty of time in the boating section. Have you got the Float Hunting Alaska's Wild Rivers? While it's a raft hunting book, it contains a weath of info on the rivers. You have not mentioned what class of river that you and your partners boats are capable of handling. Many of the lands up to the rivers high water mark are now owned corporations so watch yourself and it's not made easy to determine. Most do sell permits that will allow you to hunt the land with a wide range in pricing. I was look at hunting one area but they wanted 900.00 per man. Read, Read Read and good luck.
    Semper Fi and God Bless