Thread: Emergency Blanket

Default Emergency Blanket

Is there a brand/style to stay away from? What's best, the type you crawl in, or one you wrap around?
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I like the thermos flat quilted blanket, I have wrapped it around me while seal hunting on an island off Kodiak in 1970, I slept the nights on the beach, I still carry one. It works as a rain fly or can be used to help stay warm. I have tried the single layer silver blankets, not much protection and they rip real easy. the Thermos can also be used as a ground cloth, and wrapped around then pile boughs on top for more warmth.

The single layer mylar "space blankets" stink to actually use. Easy to rip, hard to hold down and minimal warmth, although better than nothing when you need to hole up. The double layer ones are much better but heavier and bulkier obviously. I'm currently carrying a "SOL" brand UL "space bivy" which relatively compact and about 3.5 oz. I've used it once and found it tougher and warmer than the thin space blankets but still stinks to spend the night in. Doesn't breath obviously, so condensation will soak you if you use it very long.

Not sure if that helps, but hey, it's some data points.

Yk

For hunting I usually carry a space blanket like this I never carry those tiny lightweight foil ones. Way too fragile as Yellowknife said. The one I listed is tough and I have used them for warmth, as a rain fly for myself or meat, as a signal, and so on. For hunting I prefer that style as opposed to the bivy type because it's a better multi-use item.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck Nelson View Post
    For hunting I usually carry a space blanket like this I never carry those tiny lightweight foil ones. Way too fragile as Yellowknife said. The one I listed is tough and I have used them for warmth, as a rain fly for myself or meat, as a signal, and so on. For hunting I prefer that style as opposed to the bivy type because it's a better multi-use item.
    I'll 2nd that recommendation. I picked up one in the late 70's and it still goes in my emergency pack. After all those years it still is in relatively good condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck Nelson View Post
    +1 on this one as well. I carry one. They are strong enough to make a shelter out of, if necessary, or even to use as a ground cloth.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Thanks guys. Heading over to REI at lunch to pick one up.

Now I just need that dang Ketchikan weather to cooperate.

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    Thanks guys. Heading over to REI at lunch to pick one up.

Now I just need that dang Ketchikan weather to cooperate.
    It's dumping on us right now and sadly the forecast has deteriorated for this weekend from yesterday.

Saturday
    49 | 36 F
    Rain50% chance of precipitation

Sunday
    47 | 45 F
    Chance of Rain80% chance of precipitation

Here's a disposable one time use chemical heating blanket. Compresses down small. 8 hours at 104*. I would think it'd be great for survival. http://www.chinookmed.com/cgi-bin/it...36%22x60%22---

You are probably right but it's a one use, single purpose item that weighs more than my sleeping bag. Probably be good for some types of SAR work, though.

I vote for the Kifaru Woobie. DWR coated insulation.

http://www.kifaru.net/woobie.html
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    What's best, the type you crawl in, or one you wrap around?
    Depends entirely on your purpose and expected usage! Some kinds are pocket-size disposables, others are not.

I keep a small, cheap disposable space blanket in each first aid kit, not only to wrap the patient for warmth but also to provide a clean surface under the patient. (These become garbage after one use.)

I keep an SOL bivy in my small daypack to crawl into in an emergency. However, I often have one of the disposables in my pocket, just in case I somehow lose my stuff. (These last a couple of uses, and are more efficient heat reflectors than the other types.)

I bought a "Space All Weather Blanket" a LONG time ago, it served as a tarp for years until it developed leaks, then it became the footprint for my backpacking tent, where it still resides. (These can last for many years, but are much less efficient heat reflectors than the other types.)

The most useful one is the one you're going to have with you if you need it!

I too have been packing the space blanket that Buck linked to. Very durable and also functions as a clean place to put meat as you butcher game. I usually carry one of the SOL bivy sacks as well.

http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/...Shelter&cat=53

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    It's dumping on us right now and sadly the forecast has deteriorated for this weekend from yesterday.

Saturday
    49 | 36 °F
    Rain50% chance of precipitation

Sunday
    47 | 45 °F
    Chance of Rain80% chance of precipitation

Sadly I may have to abandon and try weekend after. I'll make the call tomorrow afternoon.

Good luck.