Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NOT happy with ***********

Angry NOT happy with ***********

Iím very disappointed with *name removed*. I was just charged $430.50 for 37 lbs of caribou sausage. Thatís $11.62/lb and I supplied perfectly cleaned, quartered, and well cared for caribou. What Iím most upset about is that I was never notified that they couldnít make all 4 types of sausage I requested, so they picked 2 types for me without asking my preference. The 2 types they chose were not what I would have picked if limited to 2 choices. I should have been given the courtesy of a quick phone call to make that decision. That kind of price and service is simply unacceptable. Needless to say I will NOT be taking any game meat to ***** ever again.
    Last edited by Brian M; 10-11-2011 at 13:23. Reason: business name removed per forum rules

How in the world were they able to charge you $11.62 per lbs? Was the 37lbs the amount of meat you got back or dropped off? Did they add a debone fee and packaging fee to get the price so high?

Holy crapola! $400 + for 37 pounds! That is some expensive sausage! Hope you find some gold nuggets stuffed in some!

When you dropped off the meat did you ask them what the price/lb for sausage was? I don't doubt the price you paid, but I think there is something missing to this story.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Looking at their price list, as with other meat companies they have minimum per type.

If you weren't concerned with price, why split it up to four batches?
    Last edited by Brian M; 10-11-2011 at 15:17. Reason: link removed due to company name being attached

Zeb,

There are several sausage supply houses that would love to sell you all the spices and equipment you could desire so you can make your own. All it would require would be a grinder with stuffing attachment, casing, meat and elbow grease. Get some recipes and never be disappointed again. A good grinder will cost you less than $250.00 if you look around. I bet it would taste better than sausage someone else made too.

Just chalk it up to a learning experience and spread the word.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

To learn from your experience, I would love to hear how the game processor hosed you. I can't even fathom how they charged you the over $11 per lbs. A good ribeye doesn't even go for that much!

Even if you don't want to tell us the name, can you at least let us know how they justified it so we can cover our backs when we take game in? I'm taking about 50lbs to be made into sausage this week and don't want any surprises!!

Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    Even if you don't want to tell us the name, can you at least let us know how they justified it so we can cover our backs when we take game in? I'm taking about 50lbs to be made into sausage this week and don't want any surprises!!
    In my opinion, the meat processor was getting a bad rap on this. From the OP's comments, he dropped off 37 lbs and ordered the meat to be processed 4 different ways and ordered items from the most expensive part of their offerings. If the OP would have only ordered it 2 ways, he would only have to pay the price for two minimum orders, instead of the price relating to the four minimum orders. Simplifying his order would likely save 50 percent.

The OP also said, "What Iím most upset about is that I was never notified that they couldnít make all 4 types of sausage I requested, so they picked 2 types for me without asking my preference. The 2 types they chose were not what I would have picked if limited to 2 choices. I should have been given the courtesy of a quick phone call to make that decision. That kind of price and service is simply unacceptable." From the sound of it, the OP did not order from their order form and expected them to translate his wishes. Or, if he dropped off the meat on a weekend, he should have followed up with a phone call on Monday to refine his commands.

To avoid most of the issue related by the OP, simply ask the meat processor what their minimums are. And order products/services from their order form.

PS: I have no affiliation to the vendor (or meat packing companies) that was mentioned by the OP.

Actually the OP never said he dropped off 37 pounds of meat for sausage. He said, " I was just charged $430.50 for 37 lbs of caribou sausage" and that he had dropped off clean, quartered caribou. What is not clear is if the cost was for total processing (Which would still be a little high) or just for the sausage, or what the total weight turned in was. All the processors I know have a minimum of 20 lbs for any type of sausage. There's a lot of information not in the post. Before beating up the OP or the processor, more of the story needs to be known.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    Actually the OP never said he dropped off 37 pounds of meat for sausage. He said, " I was just charged $430.50 for 37 lbs of caribou sausage" and that he had dropped off clean, quartered caribou. What is not clear is if the cost was for total processing (Which would still be a little high) or just for the sausage, or what the total weight turned in was. All the processors I know have a minimum of 20 lbs for any type of sausage. There's a lot of information not in the post. Before beating up the OP or the processor, more of the story needs to be known.
    Thanks for the feedback. The OP did say, " I was just charged $430.50 for 37 lbs of caribou sausage.... they couldnít make all 4 types of sausage I requested...so they picked 2 types for me without asking my preference" Yep a bit difficult to know whether he ended up with two types or four types. This meat processor (posted on their website) had 25lb minimums for the orders, so the >$400 for four types of sausage (fee proportional to a 100 lb order, listed sausages at more than $4 per pound) did make sense.

Default More details

I dropped off 108 lbs in Delta Junction on Aug 31st and ordered 4 types of sausage. I just got a call 2 days ago (Sept 9th) that my meat was ready (39 days later) and wont be delivered until Oct 13th (43 days later). At no point did they hint or indicate or call to inform me that I might not be able to get 4 types of sausage. Each 25lb batch of sausage only contains 15 lbs of caribou (+10 lbs of pork fat).

I shot my caribou on the 30th, quartered, cleaned, bagged and hung the 4 quarters, ribs, and another bag with neck meat, loins, etc immediately. I took excellent care of my meat per recommendations from Indian Valley Meats, instructions from Fish and Game, and tips learned throughout my years of personal hunting experience.

Early on the 31st as I was headed to Delta I got a flat tire and Fish and Game stopped by to check my tag and inspect my kill. They said my meat looked like it was in "great shape". One quarter was quite damaged from the bullet shattering the bone, but other than that all the other meat was "as good as it gets". They even commented that they were glad I took such good care of my meat because they had seen a lot of other hunters who hadn't done the same.

I dropped off the meat in Delta Junction at about noon.

They charged a processing fee of $1.25 x 108lbs (even though they just threw away the one quarter), then a $20 cleaning fee (even though Fish and Game said my meat looked great and the guy in Delta Junction said that they just cut off the glazed layer anyway?), then they charged the per pound rate for 2 25lbs batches (even though the pepper sticks after drying weigh about 40% less).

As I mentioned earlier, what I'm most upset about is that they never called to tell me that they wouldn't be able to make all 4 types of sausage and then give me the choice of the 2 I would be getting. I would much rather have had my other 2 choices.

Bottom line is that out of 108# of well cared for meat I'm only getting 37# of sausage for $430.50, by the time I get my meat it will be 43 days later, and of the 4 types of sausage I wanted I'm getting the 2 types I wanted least because they never gave me the courtesy of a simple phone call to let me (the customer) make that choice. According to their advertised pricing, it would have been much cheaper to buy their premade sausage - from animals that they have to feed and slaughter... How does that make sense? It's more expensive to get sausage when you provide the meat???

I'm never dropping my meat off in Delta Junction ever again and neither will anyone I hunt with.

I know what I want for Christmas -- a nice meat grinder and sausage stuffer. It will be far cheaper to buy nice equipment and do it myself.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by zeb View Post
    I dropped off 108 lbs in Delta Junction on Aug 31st and ordered 4 types of sausage. I just got a call 2 days ago (Sept 9th) that my meat was ready (39 days later) and wont be delivered until Oct 13th (43 days later). At no point did they hint or indicate or call to inform me that I might not be able to get 4 types of sausage. Each 25lb batch of sausage only contains 15 lbs of caribou (+10 lbs of pork fat).

I shot my caribou on the 30th, quartered, cleaned, bagged and hung the 4 quarters, ribs, and another bag with neck meat, loins, etc immediately. I took excellent care of my meat per recommendations from Indian Valley Meats, instructions from Fish and Game, and tips learned throughout my years of personal hunting experience.

Early on the 31st as I was headed to Delta I got a flat tire and Fish and Game stopped by to check my tag and inspect my kill. They said my meat looked like it was in "great shape". One quarter was quite damaged from the bullet shattering the bone, but other than that all the other meat was "as good as it gets". They even commented that they were glad I took such good care of my meat because they had seen a lot of other hunters who hadn't done the same.

I dropped off the meat in Delta Junction at about noon.

They charged a processing fee of $1.25 x 108lbs (even though they just threw away the one quarter), then a $20 cleaning fee (even though Fish and Game said my meat looked great and the guy in Delta Junction said that they just cut off the glazed layer anyway?), then they charged the per pound rate for 2 25lbs batches (even though the pepper sticks after drying weigh about 40% less).

As I mentioned earlier, what I'm most upset about is that they never called to tell me that they wouldn't be able to make all 4 types of sausage and then give me the choice of the 2 I would be getting. I would much rather have had my other 2 choices.

Bottom line is that out of 108# of well cared for meat I'm only getting 37# of sausage for $430.50, by the time I get my meat it will be 43 days later, and of the 4 types of sausage I wanted I'm getting the 2 types I wanted least because they never gave me the courtesy of a simple phone call to let me (the customer) make that choice. According to their advertised pricing, it would have been much cheaper to buy their premade sausage - from animals that they have to feed and slaughter... How does that make sense? It's more expensive to get sausage when you provide the meat???

I'm never dropping my meat off in Delta Junction ever again and neither will anyone I hunt with.

I know what I want for Christmas -- a nice meat grinder and sausage stuffer. It will be far cheaper to buy nice equipment and do it myself.
    To be fair, it doesn't sound like you dropped off 108 lbs of meat, it sounds like you dropped off 108 lbs of caribou. Bones, sinew, trimmings, tendons, facia etc all add up to poundage, but don't go into the final product. I'm not saying you weren't done wrong.

Back in the good ol' days growing up, I worked in a meat plant during deer season. Quite often, people would ask where the rest of their deer was when they came to pick the finished product. It appeared that since they dropped off a 90 pound deer, they expected 90 pounds of steaks and burger back. It don't work that way. I suppose I could have packaged up the head, hide, lower legs, misc bones and trimmings for them.

I've never had anything but good work with Delta. It seems part of your high costs were due to just "dropping" off a pile of meat that they had to bone and clean. No matter how good you treat it, they still have to clean it up to process. What it vaccumed sealed? There are a lot of costs involved here. You got 108#'s processed, then the price sounds about right for all that they had to do. Sorry you feel the way you do.

I dropped off 54#'s of cleaned up caribou meat to be ground up and have 10% beef suet added to it on Wed. and it was ready to be picked up on Sat. Great people to work with and great turnaround as they had 2 entire moose ahead of me.

To clarify, was the 108 pounds bone-in? If so, then you didn't have 108 pounds of meat to start with. I don't know the numbers, but I'd guess that at least 30% of the weight of quarters is bone, with another 10% or more being tendons and other sinews that are removed prior to processing. Still, how you ended up with only 37 pounds makes no sense to me. Were there additional steaks or burger made that you didn't mention?

When I drop off meat for sausage processing at Alaska Sausage (sausage only, as I do steaks and burger myself), the polish sausage nets a 30% weight gain, the hot dogs net a 60% weight gain, and the hunter sticks have no weight gain due to drying (though they have no weight loss, either). If I drop off 30 pounds for processing (10 pound minimum starting weight), I end up with 39 pounds of finished product. That being said, I drop off boneless meat that has already been trimmed of all tendons and sinews. I always have a weight gain - always. How it could work out otherwise mystifies me.

Whether it's fish or game, I bring in a product that's as close to processing as i can get. Fish get headed and gutted since they charge the packaging price based on the weight you bring in, not the weight you take out. Game gets boned, trimmed, and cleaned prior to dropping off. I also end up with a net gain if I have sausage or other product that involves added fat.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

While the price sounds high, there is still something missing to the story. Did the price include shipping (air)? If there was only 108# as described, that was a tiny caribou. The author doesn't say whether the meat was boned out. If it was, the 108# might make sense. Next, he took in 108# including the shot up quarter which could have weighed 30# so now the processors starting point would be 78#. The processor is going to remove all the fat, sinew, and other shot up parts that could be another 30% of waste. So now he is down to 55#. Considering 40% shrinkage on the sticks and only 10% gain on the sausage, not far off the 37# mark.
    Lessons learned:
    1. You will always pay per pound meat in the door so don't take in the shot up stuff (he should not have been charged for that)
    2. Just like buying a car, the base price is always palatable - the bells and whistles are where the money is made.
    3. There are many good processors in the Anchorage area. Next time take the meat home, debone and clean it to a point that you would be willing to throw it into a fry pan for dinner. Take that to the processor - you will be surprised at the quality of the product.

Finally back to the cost - $430 less an assumed $130 for shipping and handling = approximately $8 per pound. In my experience - reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBoater View Post
    Whether it's fish or game, I bring in a product that's as close to processing as i can get. Fish get headed and gutted since they charge the packaging price based on the weight you bring in, not the weight you take out. Game gets boned, trimmed, and cleaned prior to dropping off. I also end up with a net gain if I have sausage or other product that involves added fat.
    I believe the meat plant used by the OP charges cleaning by the incoming weight and the sausage prices by the end weight.

Well I dropped off 106 pounds of bone in caribou at Alaksa S&S in Anchorage, had all steaks and roasts, had 20 lbs made into itialian sausage with the rest ground (no fat added) and it came to $168. I'm a little surprised at the $1.25 per pound processing fee, most places are 50-60 cents. However, I have never used anyone in Delta so have no idea what they do or the reasons behind it.

Default Compare to Bill S's last post

I dropped off 108# bone in. One front quarter was not used, but they didn't say they weren't going to use it when I dropped it off and they charged me a full processing fee (for 108#) anyway.

All I'm getting is 37# of sausage for $430. Shipping was only $40 of that price.

Seem fair? Sounds like I should have went to AK S&S here in Anchorage.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast