Thread: DS124,125,126:Hunter Creek/Lake George

Default DS124,125,126:Hunter Creek/Lake George

I got lucky so now I am looking for some information from anyone willing. If you have hunted any of these draw hunts, I would appreciate your insite. Info on access would be top priority but anything helpful would be appreciated. I would be willing to speak privately if necessary.

Scott

Default Good Luck

There's no BLM access around Hunter Creek and the access to Lake George is via float plane. There is an airstrip back in a valley around Lake George but for some reason unknown there's a white "x" at one end. I think it has something to do with someone claiming it as private but that area is in Chugach State park so the airstrip, I think, is state lands. There are some 4-wheeler trails coming off the road but they go through private property... I've tried to access that area a few times with no success due to the private nature of the locals. There are some ways that you can access that far up the Knik on the other side though... you have to have a pretty burly 4x4 to get that far though. Good luck.

The very best access to the sheep are by going up the Knik River by boat. Threre are a couple of good places to tie a boat up or get dropped off. You start your ascent at the mouth of Big Timber Creek. Takes the better part of the day to climb to the top. At the top, you make your spike camp. The sheep are just to the east of your camp about 1/4 mile. Most rams will be on the Hunter Creek side of the ridge, but there are a few rams at the headwaters of the Big Timber Creek and the larger bowl another 1/2 mile east of it. Walking is easy on top of the ridge, so you want to stay high and hunt low on both sides as you make your way towards the glaciers. Big Rams in there. 40'' plus. Also black bears, grizzly bears, wolves and wolverines. Even a few goats, but not too many of them, last time in there, counted 14 goats. Counted about 30 some odd rams, with at least half of them full curl. Very deep long curls on the rams, and slightly turned out. Good Luck

Scott,

I have hunted the hunter creek sheep hunt twice. It's a great hunt and access isn't that tough.
    Both times I went in via eklutna. You can bike, wheeler, or canoe up the lake to the Bold peak trail head. Either way you get there, you can stash your mode of transport in the woods. I took a canoe once, and a four wheeler another time. With the wheeler, you can use them on the main trail back to the trail head during the week, I think it's monday thru wed. check on that though.
    The ranger at the time told us if we came back later, as long as we had a sheep or an emergency, he wouldn't write us up. Nice guy!
    We biked back on saturday both times and hiked about half our gear up to to the top of the first ridge and stashed it prior to going back in on Mon for the hunt. This gives you a good opportunity to do some scouting and makes the second trip up a bit easier.
    On the second trip up, we would get or stashed gear and head up the to the ridge that overlooks the upper Hunter creek drainage. You can set up a camp below or in a couple nice depressions on the ridge itself. From there you can hunt the ridge, or cross Hunter creek and hunt further east.
    Coming back down after a successful hunt can be done in one trip, but it's a bit of a pack if you take as much in as we did. We planned for a week and were done in 2 days

Anything else you would like to know, just ask.

Kurt

Just currious here but could'nt you hike up hunter creek? Or access the area from pioneer peak trail? The trail head is well marked and I hunt ptarmagin up that way from time to time.

You could hike up Hunter creek, however it's rather bushy and a good number of bears from what I've heard. The other thing that would factor in is you would be popping up pretty much on the eastern side of the headwaters and may have trouble getting anywhere near any sheep on the western rim/ridge. Coming up the Bold Peak trail gives you cover and you can see well ahead and thus plan your approach.
    Just some thoughts.

Kurt

Thanks Kurt were actually talking about my back yard here . I'm about 2 miles from hunter creek and in the winter it's a nice hike, but I can see how it would be brushy come summer.

Default Better hurry

Hunter Creek has been prioritized by Eklutna for conveyance. According to a source at BLM it will be conveyed by mid December 2007.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Default Conveyence

Excuse my ignorance but I do not know what you mean by conveyence. How does this affect the hunting.

Scott

PS Thanks to all of you that have responded so far. I greatly appreciate the info.

Default Private Property

Mike and Kurt,

Are you guys talking about hiking up the creekbed of Hunter Creek itself as a way to avoid trespassing on private property? I had wondered if this was possible. I thought I remembered that private property only extended to the high water mark along streams and rivers. I figured I would consider it if I got desperate for legal access. I have always been a big fan of keeping my feet dry as long as possible so I was really hoping to avoid having to go that option. Thankfully, the two options presented here so far seem more favorable to me.

Scott

Default Going private

Eklutna selected 3 townships in the Knik River valley as part of their entitlement under ANLICA. They lie north to south and take in Hunter Creek and across the Knik into the Friday Creek drainage. Conveyance is the end of the process of the corp actually getting title to the land. I don't know if the sheep ground is within or south of the selected land or not. It is T15NR4E if you have a map showing townships. I know that it at least does block access from the Knik side.
    The key is that once conveyed - it is private land.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.