Thread: Need gear reduction for 350 where can I find one

Default Need gear reduction for 350 where can I find one

I'm new to airboats and I have a 350 chevy I need a gear reduction for it and I don't know where to find one.

Give Me A CAll 907-322-3291

What gear ratio are you looking for? Sounds like you are asking for a gearbox, would you also consider a belt reduction? Do you already have a prop? If you are now set up for direct drive and have a good prop, you may be able to use the same prop if you put on a belt drive, while if you go to a gearbox, you will need a new prop because the gear reduction spins prop in opposite direction. Skip in Fairbanks has some used units, maybe has what you want. Panther/Classic airboats in Florida usually has new and used units in stock. Tell us more about your boat, what you intend to use it for, if more after speed or power, what size is it. Need a lot more information to make a reccomendation. Feel free to ask away and lots here will work with you. One of the most important considerations is "how deep are your pockets" Bud
    Wasilla

Well I don't know anything about the gear reduction I had a buddy who was helping me when I got the boat but he's no help anymore and I had a Mazda rotary 4 cylinder on there and I was told the prop will work on the 350 I have I just need the gear reduction. I was just going off what he was telling me I trusted him on his decisions but he's not helping anymore. I don't want to change anything to where I have to buy all new parts like a prop. Any advise on what you would do if it was your boat would help a lot.

Martin,
    Did you recently acquire this boat from a guy on Craigslist? Is it camo?
    Regardless....CALL SKIP OLSEN.
    BK

Call skip and talk with him. Update your profile to where we know what area you are in, helps a lot in getting help. If your prop is for a mazda direct drive, you are looking for a belt drive, minimum 2:1 ratio. If you get a gear drive, you will need a new prop also. What is wrong with it the way you got it. Are you looking for more speed, power to run dry, or carry a larger load. So you are removing the mazda and putting in the chev, you will need to modify motor stand or replace it, cage may be necessary to enlarge to fit the chev and box. You might also go on www.southernairboat.com and ask them, lots more there and they are all willing to help Alaskans. Lots of resources. But call skip, he is your best Alaskan source. Bud
    Wasilla

I did by that boat and it worked good for a half of a day then broke down. Only 2 plugs are fireing ans oil is spitting out the air hose also its blowing blue smoke out when it starts. I have a 350 now and wanting to put that in for more power I dont care about speed. I eventually want to take it bear and moose hunting.

Martin,
    I looked at that boat and didn't like what I saw. Not knocking you!! Just wondering if it was the same one.
    Seems all our airboat stories start out the same....I bought someone else's junk and then had to fix it, been there done that twice!
    Chin up, Skip will take care of you.
    BK

I remember that boat on Craigslist, sorry to hear the motor gave up the ghost so soon. Honestly, I suspect there is a reason why AK Airboats gave up on the rotary engine so soon. Just curious, did you test the boat on water before purchase? I heard promising stories about that light weight yet powerful motor but few made it to the market. Now they are pushing the Herse (sp) motor which I have also heard is promising yet incredibly finicky.

If the hull and UHMW is in good shape you ain't sitting too bad. I suspect you will need a new motor mount, judging by the pics the monkey cage should fit a 350 and prop. Although I am no expert and havnt seen the boat in person. I've heard nothing but good things about Skip Olsen, I even talked to him on the phone a couple times. If the project is beyond your means, if was me, I'd run the boat up to him for repair.