Thread: Kids Gear??

Default Kids Gear??

I suppose this is a rant, but really asking for any good places to look on the web. Trying to find quality kids gear is really hard work. My eldest boy is 10 and he goes with me everywhere or wants to. I have had to turn him away from a couple of overnight winter hunts just because he does not have adequate gear. Trying to find quality hiking boots (not cabelas hunting boots), quality compressable sleeping bags, microfleeces, primaloft etc is just hard work and near impossible. He has a good hunting out layer, but the rest we just 'make do'. Any ideas for good places to get quality kids gear?

Cabelas is about the best place I've found for kids gear. Aside from that its finding onzy twozy things here and there. We should start a sticky in the "Outdoor Gear" section just for kids.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

My boys are 8&5. We have had good luck with Campmore and LLBean for clothes. Pants are the hardest to get. When we find them we usually buy several sizes and store the bigger ones. We also make the fleece pants my boys wear. I buy my kids the same sleeping bags I buy for my wife and myself.

I bet if you talked to Marc Taylor he may be able to get some bags made. I need one for my boy (6).
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Yep, pants are definitely the hardest to find, Non-cotton hiking pants especially; I have mostly ended up ordering these from the UK (Craghoppers). He has just outgrown his bag and I am try to find a 'midsize'.

TNF Tigger bag is about the best kids bag I have found but probably not ideal for winter. Would be neat if Marc could come up with something like a mini FTRSS

3 Items I have just ordered for my 10 year-old; unfortunately I could not support local business for any of these;

Frame Pack; the only one I could find that will fit him;

http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/pa...packs/red-rock

Snowshoes

http://www.orssnowshoesdirect.com/tu...-boy-girl.html

Sleeping bag (10 degree rating is, as always, optimistic) but lowest rating I could find in a compact kids bag and we have usually had good luck with Lucky Bums kit.

http://luckybums.com/kidsserenitysleepingbag-1.aspx

I'll update with a review of each when he has used them.

Just FYI, Jake has been using Gamehide reversible (Camo/White) waterproof softshell outer wear for the past year. Outstanding kit. He has used and abused them from going to school, hunting, hiking, sledding, skiing, he just loves them. Warm and 100% waterproof. The one bit of kit I can definitely say will be replaced with same when he outgrows them. Best part is these were in my local outfitters.

http://www.cabelas.com/ensemble/Clot...80%3Bprd753889

We have good luck at REI, LL Bean and Campmor. Campmor often has good deals on fleece wear. Try some of the REI sales and you can get decent deals. We have had great luck with REI's hiking pants for the kids. And as recommended by LuJon TNF Tigger bag is great. In late fall and early spring we have our kids sleep in fleece and they are always toasty in those bags. Molehill also has some good kid gear. What I am looking for are rubber boots that go higher than mid-calf for kids.

Sierra Trading Post has gotten alot of business outfitting our kids, but it is tough finding good kid specific gear. At least STP keeps us from going completely broke doing so.

The double difficult thing of getting good cold weather gear for a kid is with their core being so much smaller than an adult, they get cold much, much quicker. TNF tigger sleeping bags are very nice, but not really up to real cold weather camping. In addition to clothing, chem heaters for their hands and core, and a tent with a heater in it might really be the better option then spending the $ on lots of outdoor gear that he'll outgrow in a season.

As far as rubber boots for kids that are higher than mid calf, I really don't see a benefit. No matter how high the boots go, every single one of my kids would always find water that was 1/2" deeper than their boots, every single trip. Heck, this spring we were hiking in PWS and my 12 you thought he'd splash into a shallow puddle. Turned out the puddle wasn't so shallow and he got dunked nearly to his neck. He did the rest of the hike in his boxers while we put his jeans on a tree to dry.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by nbh40 View Post
    3 Items I have just ordered for my 10 year-old; unfortunately I could not support local business for any of these;

Frame Pack; the only one I could find that will fit him;

http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/pa...packs/red-rock

Snowshoes

http://www.orssnowshoesdirect.com/tu...-boy-girl.html

Sleeping bag (10 degree rating is, as always, optimistic) but lowest rating I could find in a compact kids bag and we have usually had good luck with Lucky Bums kit.

http://luckybums.com/kidsserenitysleepingbag-1.aspx

I'll update with a review of each when he has used them.
    Well Amazon performed and these 3 items of kit arrived 4 days after placing order - can't beat free Super Saver shipping.

The pack is really nicely put together and looks to be very high quality, is superlight and fits my kid just perfect; loads of adjustment. Not tried it in the field yet, but I am confident it will perform.

Snowshoes were a steal - I would compare them to kids MSRs at a third the price. All metal 'crampons' and hinge system, just like my MSR Denali Ascents. Jake is really excited about testing these out.

Sleeping bag - not field tested, just bedroom with the heating off!! He was toasty and had to open it up. Seems really well constructed out of quality materials. Compacts really well into a quality stuff-sack and lofts out pretty quick after. Again we are looking forward to a good field test.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    As far as rubber boots for kids that are higher than mid calf, I really don't see a benefit. No matter how high the boots go, every single one of my kids would always find water that was 1/2" deeper than their boots, every single trip. Heck, this spring we were hiking in PWS and my 12 you thought he'd splash into a shallow puddle. Turned out the puddle wasn't so shallow and he got dunked nearly to his neck. He did the rest of the hike in his boxers while we put his jeans on a tree to dry.
    HAHA, this is exactly the point I make to my 2 younger ones each time they ask me for hip waders, 'What so you can go in up to your waist'?? They will always take gear just past the limit. I have only just got the message over that rainpants and jackets are not drysuits!!

Mt view sports has chest waders for kiddos.

mountaingear.com has kids stuff and will match others prices.

Mountain Hardwear has a nice selection of kids clothes as well.

The killer is the cost. I've spent hundreds on gear to only have them outgrow it in two months.

Don't worry, your kids will grow fast. Most healthy 12 yr old kids will fit in adults small clothing. My 12 y.o. daughter already wears women's medium clothes so it's not hard to find gear now. For a Prince of Wales deer hunt we found all the fleece and poly mid layers she needed at Value Village... high quality stuff too for under $100.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I've outfitted my Daughter top to bottom since she could walk at REI.

And this covers everything from rafting, camping, winter excursions, etc.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."