Thread: Record Kodiak Bear..Any news?

Default Record Kodiak Bear..Any news?

Per a local fella in the guiding realm, there's rumor of a new record bear taken on Kodiak..anyone else hear anything?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Per a local fella in the guiding realm, there's rumor of a new record bear taken on Kodiak..anyone else hear anything?
    do tell....record? as in numero uno....really? guess i could check if it's been sealed or not...but that wouldnt be near as fun as this anticipation.

I have no measurements, just a guy askin me if I had heard about it, news travels fast and if there's any truth to it- perhaps someone would log it around here.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

It wasn't a kodiak bear... It was one of the 14A dumpster diver bears out in butte rumor has it greyhorn3 shot after he thought it was the APX fella trying to sell him a security system. Anyhow squared 11feet and 30 inch skull, no reports what weapon he used...

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    no reports what weapon he used...
    Marlin, lever action.........

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    Marlin, lever action.........
    Ah the sheriff of butte is a fan of the 30-30... From what I heard he was glad he shot it close to the house. He said he wasn't sure if the big red could of got it back to the house. But he did say he is still looking for the APX guy

Kodiak Bear season starts October 25th.

I was gonna post same thing Roland. If it came from Kodiak this fall it's a liitle on the out of season side.

I'll be down for the opener, don't get my hopes up

If there's any truth to it, perhaps it's a 2010 harvest but that would've been aired by now.

Sounds like another 83" bull lol

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    If there's any truth to it, perhaps it's a 2010 harvest but that would've been aired by now.

Sounds like another 83" bull lol
    It could have been a spring 2011 bear.

How would a 10'2" with over a 27" skull score? Heard of this one taken this fall.

IIRC 30 12/16 is the record Kodiak brown, while 27 15/16 is inland I may be off a few 1/16s

So everything not from kodiak would be considered inland? Forgot to mention this one was taken with a bow too.

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    So everything not from kodiak would be considered inland? Forgot to mention this one was taken with a bow too.
    Kodiak is nor scored separately from other coastal areas. I believe the line is just south of Glennallen but will have to double check on that.

There broken into 2 categories, brown and grizz. Kodiaks, and anything coastal though Kodiak bears measure the largest from what I've seen. There is a so-called distance from the coast that separates the two, I believe I read anything past 200miles? is considered grizz but parts of Unit 14 lays under that mark and we all call them grizz.

Interior, narrow-skilled griz are believed to have migrated from Siberia while wider-skulled brown bears migrated from the Kamchatka and south down to Kodiak.

Perhaps someone else will chime in.

http://www.boone-crockett.org/bgreco...ds&type=SKULLS

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Kodiak is nor scored separately from other coastal areas. I believe the line is just south of Glennallen but will have to double check on that.
    I was under the impression the line was the south side of the alaska range.

Per B&C

The big brown bears are found on Kodiak and Afognak Islands, the Alaska Peninsula, and eastward and southeastward along the coast of Alaska. The smaller interior grizzly is found in the remaining parts of the continent. The boundary between the two was first defined as an imaginary line extending 75 miles inland from the coast of Alaska. Later this boundary was more precisely defined with the current definition as follows:
    A line of separation between the larger growing coastal brown bear and the smaller interior grizzly has been developed such that west and south of this line (to and including Unimak Island) bear trophies are recorded as Alaska brown bear. North and east of this line, bear trophies are recorded as grizzly bear. The boundary line description is as follows: Starting at Pearse Canal and following the Canadian-Alaskan boundary northwesterly to Mt. St. Elias on the 141 degree meridian; thence north along the Canadian-Alaskan boundary to Mt. Natazhat; thence west northwest along the divide of the Wrangell Range to Mt. Jarvis at the western end of the Wrangell Range; thence north along the divide of the Mentasta Range to Mentasta Pass; thence in a general westerly direction along the divide of the Alaska Range to Houston Pass; thence westerly following the 62nd parallel of latitude to the Bering Sea.
    Polar bear must be taken in either United States or Canadian-held water and/or land mass in order to be eligible. This definition is necessary because of the wide range of polar bears in the far northern hemisphere.