• halibut charter out of valdez

5 11.36%
  • fly in trip to minto for pike/shee fish

16 36.36%
  • guided float on the kenai

20 45.45%

Thread: would you rather

Default would you rather

brother is graduating highschool in georgia this spring... will be buying him a plane ticket and a fishing trip... which one would you go for

Which fishing trip? I'd bet on a solid king/sockeye trip on the Kenai. Went out this year with my partner in crime to the middle of Kenai and landed 2 40# kings and 24 reds.

Another good option is a king trip fly out. Skies the limit - pin down your budget first and go from there.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Of your poll options, I'd go with the fly-out pike/sheefish option. Halibut is cool for those new to Alaska as far as size goes, but they're really just a lot of work and blind fishing while you wait for a bite. The Kenai holds some spectacular fish, but the crowds can be ridiculous and restrictions on king fishing have been the norm the past few years. For a real Alaska experience, I can't think of much better than a sheefish trip (with some pike thrown in). I've never targeted them, but you're almost guaranteed some degree of seclusion and fish that he can catch almost nowhere else.

i forgot to mention the time frame is late june early july

Quote Originally Posted by aktyler View Post
    i forgot to mention the time frame is late june early july
    Kings for sure!

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    Piscor Ergo Sum

I also voted for the pike/sheefish. Though I feel you'd have better luck off of the Yukon for this. The Minto flats doesn't hold many of the very largest pike any longer and the sheefish run here is spotty, or so I've read.

Might consider asking Rick at Marina air the success rates on sheefish in Minto.

Let us know what ya decide.

-akiceman25

i am leaning to kenai due to the fact that we can also hit all the parks streams... or several of them atleast

Quote Originally Posted by aktyler View Post
    i am leaning to kenai due to the fact that we can also hit all the parks streams... or several of them atleast
    But the poll is merely 19 hrs old......

true, but i have already done all these trips except the kenai and my brother has never been on the minto or kenai trip.... and if the kings will be in the kenai, that will probably be the one for us... considering i have lived in alaska 21 years and have yet to hook up with a king... i guess i wiggle my stick wrong or something... maybe jedi can learn me up there haha

If you hook up with th right outfit they can also get you onto the reds. I fished a 100yd private bank alone for hours and slayer 'em. Tho the competition was lax, most nonresident were breaking rods or waiting for the fish to bite. lol

pm me if you want a solid recommendation.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

You can catch all the snot rockets (pike) you want in the lower 48. Go on trip where you can get a taste of different fishing. IF you come up in june/july you can hit the butts in the salt and fish salmon on some of the rivers on the KP.

Another idea would be to get with BlueMoose if he is still around and see what he has to offer with a float trip. He is in Fairbanks but fishes all the way down the highway. Good guy and have heard nothing but good from his guests. He is on this forum and supprised he hasn't offered some insights.

Lots to offer in our state.

George

A guided float trip down the kenai doesnt sound like my idea of a vacation. I voted for Valdez but the minto trip sounds enjoyable too.

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

I like the idea of a halibut charter. If a person's never been on salt its a great experience. I personally would choose Seward; scenery alone makes it pretty special, there's usually not the wind you see off deep creek, and the fishing is pretty good. For those reasons I chose Valdez in your poll. Deep Creek of course gives you the option of a king/halibut combo. Coupled with some walk in fishing or a Clear Creek drop off, it has the makings of a great trip.