View Poll Results: Which Jason Falla/Redback One Class?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Basic Pistol

1 7.14%
  • Tactical Pistol

9 64.29%
  • Basic Carbine

1 7.14%
  • Carbine/Pistol Combo

6 42.86%
  • Other (please advise)

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Training Opportunity Would You Want for Next Year?

Default What Training Opportunity Would You Want for Next Year?

Just finished Jason Fallas basic handgun course and am starting to plan for the next time Jason makes his way to the frigid north.

He will try and be here two weekends in a row, making two classes possibly available sometime late next summer. I'm asking now to judge which class type would the masses want so we can reserve a range.

It's going to be a tough, expensive, sell to get anyone to go both weekends...but who knows. I personally have no interest in 3-gun shooting and my AR-15 really isn't ever going to be used in self defense, so I vote tactical pistol. I really want to learn strong hand only, weak hand only, and different ways of getting a pistol back in action. I would assume those would be covered in tactical pistol. For me, the best bang for my buck for real world applications is tactical pistol. Not that a carbine class wouldn't be fun.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Yeah, I think it would be tough to sell both weekends to someone, but I was more wondering what the top two would be for filling a couple of classes up. Tactical pistol would definitely be cheaper since I have most of the gear I need now, but I do plan on a carbine course sometime in the future.

From an outside perspective- what does Jason offer that isn't currently offered in Alaska?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I guess national level training, worldwide expertise, a broader knowledge base, etc., etc...

Is there a review somewhere of how this last class went?

I was curious how it was received.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

You know, that's a fair question. I have not taken a class from anyone in Alaska, so I'm not qualified to answer. I also haven't researched anyone in AK to see what their qualifications are. Jason came highly recommended as a very qualified instructor. It is difficult, though, to get a special forces instructor that is good at SF stuff, LE stuff, and civilian stuff. Doing my research I found that many were satisfied with his civilian classes, so I signed up. My desire was to learn to shoot fast and accurate in a fight situation. I had no desire to go through a class that constantly stopped the training to discuss the implications of using a firearm in self defense situation, I've been to those already (not in Alaska). I wanted a class that built my fundementals up from the ground up with proven combat techniques. I was not disapointed. I was definately impressed with Jason's methods of weapons manipulation, stance, and trigger control. His drills jambed his techniques into a short time period and I was amazed at the quickness my body started doing them subconsciously. He also taught some advanced techniques like shooting from your back and contact shooting that you rarely see in a self defense class. His drills are geared to making sure you don't build "training scars" that result in a failure when you really need to defend yourself.

Case in point. My last class was 20 years ago down in Washington state. It was a concealed weapon class given by a nationally recognized school. We spent a lot of time on presentation from the holster and firing one shot into the "perp", then reholstering. Even 20 years later, I still had that habit. If the drill called for one shot, I fired it, then reholstered. Jason's technique teaches you to draw, fire, then scan the area for other threats...left, right and to the rear, before you reholster. That makes complete sense and may keep you alive if the poop hits the fan.

I was totally satisfied with the class and would gladly pay for another one with him. He is extremely personable and enjoyable to learn from. He's tough when he needs to be, and friendly the rest of the time. He admits right in his opening of the class that not all trainers fit all students and that his methods may not be the best for everyone. I found him to be brutally honest without being condescending about equipment used. He expects you to make your own choices.

While typing this response, I decided to go look at some photos of other Anchorage classes. I can now say that just looking at the shooting stance of the class participants and of the instructors that I far prefer Jason's fundementals. That's not saying that their classes aren't valuable, just that I now fully respect that groundwork Jason builds on.

Does he offer a shotgun course? I'd find that interesting. If I knew about a class by Jan. 1, I'd might even have the money for it by June!
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Thank you Doug.

Gives me some food for thought considering taking one of the courses in the poll. Appreciate it.

(Stinking) Rep inbound if the system allows.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.

Be prepared. This is a very aggressive class. My mag holder looks like it was drug down the highway behing my truck from all the rolling around on the ground I did. Less apparent scratches are in my holster and gun grip. We shot with our arms pushing back target frames and shooting from near our belly buttons. We shot from our backs with our legs and feet in front of the gun. Very advanced and aggressive stuff that sent my gun safety sirens off full blast. But I did them and I learned. Self defense is an ugly business and you need to learn to do it safely and accurately. Jason also instructs combat medics and carries his kit on his belt at all times. I figured if I shot myself I was in good hands

While this is called a basic class, I would highly suggest a basic pistol class from the NRA first, or at least a good familiarity with your equipment like reloads and draws first. Jason will fine tune them, but I really think you need to know how to shoot first.

I would like to see an intermediate or advanced class with pistol and carbine. Perhaps have the instructor here for a week and have the first 2 days as a basic class and the last 2 as an intermediate or advanced.
    Pat
    Colt M16/AR15 & Glock Armorer.
    Certified firearms Instructor & Urban Rifle Instructor.
    Completed SWAT Entry Team and SWAT Sniper courses.
    NRA Endowment Member IDPA Expert USPSA B Class

Pat- That is exactly what Jason was looking at when we were done with our class. He would love to do a pistol/carbine class with LEO and military personel (and advanced civilians)for the week.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Is there a review somewhere of how this last class went?

I was curious how it was received.
    Myself and rkroupa will be writing reviews of the course, so keep an eye out...

That's why I've been holding off the best I can. I know the you and Rob took the effort to take photos and I want to leave the reports to you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Myself and rkroupa will be writing reviews of the course, so keep an eye out...
    Awesome Kyle.

I'm saving up for the XDM and want to be as proficient as possible with it.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Awesome Kyle.

I'm saving up for the XDM and want to be as proficient as possible with it.
    Which caliber just outta curiosity?

If you want to shoot an XDm .40 I can arrange a range day. I bet we might get Kyle up to let you try a Glock too. You really need to try both. They are both excellent firearms, but the feel of them is different. I am a rangemaster at Upper Susitna Shooters and we can schedule pretty much anything.

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Which caliber just outta curiosity?
    NOT a .40!! <grin>

Liking the .45

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Jason also instructs combat medics and carries his kit on his belt at all times. I figured if I shot myself I was in good hands
    You were in better hands than you thought. Besides Jason there was also at least one other basic blow out kit floating around and a more involved trauma kit also.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    That's why I've been holding off the best I can. I know the you and Rob took the effort to take photos and I want to leave the reports to you guys.
    Oh hell no, throw up your thoughts/review also. The more information from different perspectives the better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast