Thread: Another Laptop plotter question

Default Another Laptop plotter question

Read some old post from 2008-2009, But no recent ones found, My brother bought me the DIGINAV Complete system http://diginav.us/usb_gps.html I have an older laptop I bought for the wife that she never used (I'm re-gifting back to me ) Anybody ever have any luck with a certain brand of laptop ? Or does it matter ? I have a Garmin plotter/sounder in my boat (I still have not been able to use because still in the shop.) Getting old would like to be able to see where I'm going and not having to squint at My 5 inch screen LOL!
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

As long as the laptop fits the hardware requirements it should be fine.

Few notables will be the hard disk and memory. More is better.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    More is better.
    Is that not true with almost everything I just read a few places that said you need some sort of special hard drive(Solid State or something of that nature) because of all the bouncing in the boat

Roger, check out the Maptech program. We bought our big boat in 2001 and a friend got us onto Maptech. Download it on your laptop, wire it into a simple gps unit on your boat (easy enough to do) download the charts you need for your area. It was great for us, crused twice from seattle to whittier using it alone. Goes automaticallly from chart to chart. Simple to program in eta, fuel use, way points, routes, etc. We loved it and I am stupid on the computer and could easily figure it out and use it. Screen as big as your laptop, easy to read, many enhancements to suit your needs. I think they still have it at west marine. Google maptech for more information. Only problem I ever had was figuring out where and how to mount the laptop so it would stay on the helm and not the floor. Feel free to ask if you have any questions. Sold the big boat (41) 2 years ago and went to airboat, now you are doing the opposite. Bud<BR><BR>Know nothing about the system you were given, I'm sure it is good.&nbsp; This was in 2001, went down to comp usa in anchorage, bought a $1900 laptop, (about the cheapest they had back then and I'm sure not near as powerful as they have now days for a lot less money).&nbsp; I don't remember what brand the laptop was, pretty popular at the time.&nbsp; We were careful with it and it lasted for years, pretty much dedicated to the boat use.&nbsp; I believe any good name brand laptop that meets your specs will be good.&nbsp; Bud
    Wasilla

We use a computers in most all boats in our area (SE). Commercial guys anyhow. If you have a room and a dry boat a laptop is fine. Nobeltec or RosePoint are the two common programs around here. You might also consider a tablet computer. Android preferably due to the fact that most android tablets have a real GPS built in. You can get the MapTech program for them and it's really quite cheap. That may give you a little redundancy too. If one GPS goes out then you still have the other for 'backup.' If you decide to go with a computer...Most any machine will work. Get a minimum i3 processor and at least 4gb of ram. You'll need a USB-Serial adapter to properly hook it up to a gps. As they said above, anything more is great, but those are good minimums. I have, tho, been successful in getting both rosepoint and nobeltec on those $250.00 netbooks. The small footprint is nice. If you're JUST going to be doing basic navigation then its an option you may look at.

I have a plotter (Navionics) app on my phone, works as good as anything. I have two plotters on the boat and have used a laptop just for fun to compare them all, and yes they work great! Boat is big enough that we never had issues with bouncing, just left it on the galley table, but don't leave it on the boat to storage or it will corrode.

Thanks for all the info, I'll have to dust off the wifes computer this weekend and give it a try after all I have 6 more months before I take the boat out

Could an IPad be used instead of a laptop?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Could an IPad be used instead of a laptop?
    Absolutely! A friend uses his iPad for his plotter and it works great. The downside to the iPad is that it is difficult to view in the direct sunlight. Here is a link to the app that he is using(I think): http://www.inavx.com/
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

INAVX works very well, I have it on my Iphone as a backup and find it produces very similar data to my big chartplotter.

Thanks again everyone but I have not moved up in the tech world I own neither an iPad or Iphone Still trying to figure how to get my desk top computer tower mounted in the boat LOL!